PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit windows

Rockntractor
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Is anyone using a 64 bit windows operating system?

megimoo
09-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Is anyone using a 64 bit windows operating system?Yes I am !

Rockntractor
09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes I am !

Do you notice any difference or have any trouble?

BSR
09-01-2009, 10:33 PM
x64 Windows 7 here.

Rockntractor
09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
x64 Windows 7 here.

Iv'e heard nasty rumors that windows 7 will sniff out bootleg programs. Is that true?

BSR
09-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Iv'e heard nasty rumors that windows 7 will sniff out bootleg programs. Is that true?

No, not true.

In fact, I have a few running and have had 0 problems. Soooooo much better then Vista, I tell you..

Rockntractor
09-01-2009, 10:45 PM
No, not true.

In fact, I have a few running and have had 0 problems. Soooooo much better then Vista, I tell you..

I stayed with xp and never wanted Vista but I was thinking about 64 bit 7 then it will read all my memory.

megimoo
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I stayed with xp and never wanted Vista but I was thinking about 64 bit 7 then it will read all my memory.
The sixty four bit version of XP works just fine .Windows Seven however is a pain in the ass .

It requires a totally 'clean' reload of XP and there's no going back to version six if you don't like it .

BTW are you running a boot legged copy of Windows Pro ? As long as you have the CD ID number correctly installed there's no way they can tell .

Rockntractor
09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
The sixty four bit version of XP works just fine .Windows Seven however is a pain in the ass .

It requires a totally 'clean' reload of XP and there's no going back to version six if you don't like it .

BTW are you running a boot legged copy of Windows Pro ? As long as you have the CD ID number correctly installed there's no way they can tell .

No my windows copy is legit. I'm talking about little odds and ends programs I have used for years that i dont know where the registration info is. Also I have a half a dozen computors and I am the only one that uses them so when I buy a program I put it on all of them!

BSR
09-01-2009, 11:13 PM
No my windows copy is legit. I'm talking about little odds and ends programs I have used for years that i dont know where the registration info is. Also I have a half a dozen computors and I am the only one that uses them so when I buy a program I put it on all of them!

He is correct about the "clean" install. It sucks, but if you back up all your shit you should be ok.

Rockntractor
09-01-2009, 11:37 PM
He is correct about the "clean" install. It sucks, but if you back up all your shit you should be ok.

I will probably partition the hardrive and run two operating systems with a boot manager.

megimoo
09-02-2009, 12:07 AM

Best back them up to an offline drive and re install them after you install the upgrade,if you do ?
I recently purchased a 300GB 7200 rpm drive and ported XP over and now use it as my 'C' drive.

You could try the Sixty four bit windows XP and Windows seven upgrade that way and simply swap out the drive if you didn't like it !
For less that a hundred bucks you could be sure of being able to Quickly recover if there is a problem with the upgrade and you would have a much larger,faster boot drive .

My old drive is only 30GB and serves for my backup.
I also have a portable off line 250GB drive that holds a backup my Music and Picture files .I just power it up when ever I need it .
I find that with the new high density drives being
so inexpensive it's cheaper in the long run to occasionally buy a new drive and port the old 'C' drive data to it and save the old 'C' drive as achieves !
It's much easier to find a old needed file that way.Just swap the 'C' Drive and reboot .Copy the needed file to the the 'D' drive and go back to the original 'C' drive !It sure beats going through a dozen 'CD'S' looking for a file.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Best back them up to an offline drive and re install them after you install the upgrade,if you do ?
I recently purchased a 300GB 7200 rpm drive and ported XP over and now use it as my 'C' drive.

You could try the Sixty four bit windows XP and Windows seven upgrade that way and simply swap out the drive if you didn't like it !
For less that a hundred bucks you could be sure of being able to Quickly recover if there is a problem with the upgrade and you would have a much larger,faster boot drive .

My old drive is only 30GB and serves for my backup.
I also have a portable off line 250GB drive that holds a backup my Music and Picture files .I just power it up when ever I need it .
I find that with the new high density drives being
so inexpensive it's cheaper in the long run to occasionally buy a new drive and port the old 'C' drive data to it and save the old 'C' drive as achieves !
It's much easier to find a old needed file that way.Just swap the 'C' Drive and reboot .Copy the needed file to the the 'D' drive and go back to the original 'C' drive !It sure beats going through a dozen 'CD'S' looking for a file.

I just bought a new 1 terebyte drive. I always clone my drives when I set a machine up. If I have a drive failure I simply replace it with the copy.

RockerWolf
09-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Well i like XP better than vista.

mostly because DOS is still in XP.

like C:/>dir

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 01:28 AM

XP Pro comes in a 64 bit version too . I am considering it because I can get a copy for 69.00. Thats a lot cheaper than 7 or vista!

megimoo
09-02-2009, 02:02 AM
XP Pro comes in a 64 bit version too . I am considering it because I can get a copy for 69.00. Thats a lot cheaper than 7 or vista!
Word to the wise stay with XP as Microsoft will never be able to abandon it totally !

BTW be very careful of Goggle Chrome .It's loaded with spy_ware according to SpyBot .

I finally went with Firefox and all of my spy_ware problems disappeared .

FlaGator
09-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Do you notice any difference or have any trouble?

I'm running 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I haven't had any problems. When you first move from a 32bit to a 64bit version of windows you might experience some driver problems and some software the works on the system level (registry cleaners and stuff) won't work, but most of these things now have 64bit upgrades.

BSR
09-02-2009, 02:29 PM

cmd is your friend.. :rolleyes:

megimoo
09-18-2009, 12:11 AM
cmd is your friend.. :rolleyes:
Man it's time to upgrade your computer language skills ,But who am I to talk ?

Back in the days when I worked in town and programmed on a Mini/Mainframe I used an old line editor and had the hardest time moving on to the full screen editor. Mostly because I was so proficient at moving files around with the old editor.

Until finally the system manager removed my old editor and I was forced to spend a day or so leaning the new editor.This editor I now use is my seventh iteration of editors and probably ,hopefully my last .