PDA

View Full Version : Catholic church issues prayer for faithful to say before sex

megimoo
09-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Give us this day our daily... Catholic church issues prayer for faithful to say before sex

Roman Catholic couples are being encouraged to pray together before they have sex. A book published by a prominent Church group invites those setting out on married life to recite the specially-composed Prayer Before Making Love.

It is aimed at 'purifying their intentions' so that the act is not about selfishness or hedonism. The prayer, which appears in the Prayer Book for Spouses, implores God 'to place within us love that truly gives, tenderness that truly unites, self-offering that tells the truth and does not deceive, forgiveness that truly receives, loving physical union that welcomes'.

It adds: 'Open our hearts to you, to each other and to the goodness of your will.......'Cover our poverty in the richness of your mercy and forgiveness. Clothe us in true dignity and take to yourself our shared aspirations, for your glory, for ever and ever.'.... The 64-page book has been published by the London-based Catholic Truth Society.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1210519/Never-mind-pillow-talk-couples-told-Roman-Catholic-church-PRAY-sex.html#ixzz0PxJX3VIg

jinxmchue
09-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Cover our poverty... Clothe us in true dignity...

Yeah, because sex is dirty and disgraceful even between a married couple. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Yeah, because sex is dirty and disgraceful even between a married couple. :rolleyes:

News flash: traditional Catholics have been praying together before sex (eating, car trips, basketball games, signing mortgages, giving birth, or going to work) for about a thousand years now. This isn't exactly a groundbreaking announcement that will change the RC view of sex or marriage in any profound way.

The Pope is attempting to remind average Catholics about their obligation to see marital sex as something that is not only a ton of fun but also a gift that can (and should) both please God and honor your spouse. He's also trying to remind Catholics that prayer isn't something you do a split second before the near fatal car accident. Prayer is something that should be woven into every day and woven through the most mundane acts: acts like, eating, sleeping, and having hot monkey sex with your spouse.

linda22003
09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I ALWAYS used to pray before sex (Don't let me get pregnant! Don't let me get pregnant!) :D

aerojarod
09-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I ALWAYS used to pray before sex (Don't let me get pregnant! Don't let me get pregnant!) :D

Might as well say a prayer since men are already down on their knees begging for sex in the first place... HEY OOOOOO! :D

The Night Owl
09-02-2009, 11:20 AM

If sex is not a little dirty and disgraceful then you're doing it wrong. :D

megimoo
09-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Might as well say a prayer since men are already down on their knees begging for sex in the first place... HEY OOOOOO! :DJewish Foreplay: Half an hour of Fervently begging !

ralph wiggum
09-02-2009, 11:38 AM

Do I know you from somewhere? :eek:

:D

linda22003
09-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Do I know you from somewhere? :eek:

:D

I may not be the only woman with that methodology. ;)

ralph wiggum
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I may not be the only woman with that methodology. ;)

I'm well aware of that. However, I suspect many of those who use that "methodology" aren't using one or more forms of birth control to begin with.

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 12:26 PM
News flash: traditional Catholics have been praying together before sex (eating, car trips, basketball games, signing mortgages, giving birth, or going to work) for about a thousand years now. This isn't exactly a groundbreaking announcement that will change the RC view of sex or marriage in any profound way.

The Pope is attempting to remind average Catholics about their obligation to see marital sex as something that is not only a ton of fun but also a gift that can (and should) both please God and honor your spouse. He's also trying to remind Catholics that prayer isn't something you do a split second before the near fatal car accident. Prayer is something that should be woven into every day and woven through the most mundane acts: acts like, eating, sleeping, and having hot monkey sex with your spouse.

Exactly. The really devout Catholics that I know do this already. I'm more of a say grace at holidays kind of Catholic.

linda22003
09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm well aware of that. However, I suspect many of those who use that "methodology" aren't using one or more forms of birth control to begin with.

Oh, I always used at LEAST one at any given time. It didn't prevent fervent wishing, however.

ralph wiggum
09-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh, I always used at LEAST one at any given time. It didn't prevent fervent wishing, however.

I didn't mean us "intelligent" and responsible folks, Linda. I haven't gone 39+ years without slipping one past the goalie for no reason.

linda22003
09-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I didn't mean us "intelligent" and responsible folks, Linda. I haven't gone 39+ years without slipping one past the goalie for no reason.

Well, since I now realize this is about MARITAL sex, the point is moot anyway. :p

wilbur
09-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Because why not let celibate old curmudgeons advise you on sex? What could possibly go wrong?

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Because why not let celibate old curmudgeons advise you on sex? What could possibly go wrong?
And you differ from them in what way?

megimoo
09-02-2009, 01:11 PM
And you differ from them in what way?
Just In the objects of his lusting !

JB
09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Because why not let the democrats advise you on everything? What could possibly go wrong?Hmmm. Change a couple words but stay in context and I see what you're saying.

jinxmchue
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM

So you're saying that the Catholic Church has always viewed sex as dirty and disgraceful. Gotcha.

The Pope is attempting to remind average Catholics about their obligation to see marital sex as something that is not only a ton of fun but also a gift that can (and should) both please God and honor your spouse.

Yeah, that's why he used phrases like "Cover our poverty" and "Clothe us in true dignity." :rolleyes:

He's also trying to remind Catholics that prayer isn't something you do a split second before the near fatal car accident. Prayer is something that should be woven into every day and woven through the most mundane acts: acts like, eating, sleeping, and having hot monkey sex with your spouse.

Got no problem with that. What I have a problem with is not-so-subtly portraying sex between a husband and wife as dirty and disgraceful and needing prayer to counteract that.

linda22003
09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
That's certainly one..... interpretation.

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Got no problem with that. What I have a problem with is not-so-subtly portraying sex between a husband and wife as dirty and disgraceful and needing prayer to counteract that.

I don't know quite where you are getting this idea that Catholics think marital sex is sinful or degrading. It certainly hasn't been portrayed in that light in Catholic culture in living memory or by the Church in years and years. You do know that contemporary Catholics no more think of marital sex as sinful than contemporary Protestants believe that pulling a shift on Sunday will condemn them to Hell, right?

You missed the whole part about the purpose of this kind of prayer. It isn't some kind of spiritual decontamination device or preemptive penance - it's about integrating spiritual awareness with a God-given physical faculty.

Maybe this will help: Theology of the Body (http://www.theologyofthebody.net/).

None of this is new; none of it has anything to do with perversion, filth, or sin. You can't let yourself form impressions of how other denominations view themselves by taking your cue from Jack Chick.

linda22003
09-02-2009, 03:59 PM
You can't let yourself form impressions of how other denominations view themselves by taking your cue from Jack Chick.

EXCELLENT diagnosis. :p

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/religion/jack-chick/chick-rivera5.jpg

jediab
09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
My prayer is something like, "Thank you Lord for this nookie I am about to receive. May my wife and I both enjoy the 30 seconds of bliss. Amen.

PoliCon
09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Rome and their sex hangups! oy vey

linda22003
09-03-2009, 12:08 PM
My prayer is something like, "Thank you Lord for this nookie I am about to receive. May my wife and I both enjoy the 30 seconds of bliss. Amen.

30 seconds? I wonder what your wife's corresponding prayer is. ;)

jediab
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
30 seconds? I wonder what your wife's corresponding prayer is. ;)

Something like the first part of the Serenity Prayer if IRC. ;)