PDA

View Full Version : Pet Talk Wednesday.

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 09:43 AM
The smoke haze seems to be clearing out a bit today and should improve over several days. We'll be in the 80s for the next couple of days. I saw the very first leaves starting to turn yesterday afternoon. It's way too soon for that nonsense. :mad:

TOTD: Considering all of the pets you've had or been around since childhood, which pet sticks out in your mind most? This could be your first pet (not your parents' pets), your worst pet, your favorite pet, or your most problematic but lovable pet.

Bonus TOTD: What type of pet do you one day hope to own but don't own now (or yet)?

jinxmchue
09-02-2009, 09:59 AM
We had to get rid of one of our cats about 9 months ago. He had been a problematic cat from the beginning. He peed backwards instead of down, so it would go all over the wall instead of in the cat litter. Add to that the fact that he would crap in the bedrooms for no reason that we could understand. (He was in good health and the litter box was cleaned and changed regularly.) And then there was his propensity to obsessively chew on almost everything, but especially power cords and anything plastic/rubber/silicone/similar (e.g. blinds, baby bottle nipples, insulated lunch boxes, backpacks, etc.) - something we tried to break him of, but never succeeded. I think that cat was retarded or something. We left him on a friends' farm and he disappeared within a few days. They said he might have gone to a neighboring farm, but I'm betting he finally chewed on something that killed him.

Shannon
09-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I grew up in a zoo. My mother took in every stray animal within city limits. And she had birds...I hate birds.

I have fond memories of all of the animals I grew up with. (except the birds) There is one cat and one dog that no animal will ever compare to though.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 10:31 AM
I have and have had so many it would be hard to pick a favorite. I guess if I had to pick wally would be my favorite. He is my half coyote half Aussie dog. As far as wanting a future pet a Penthouse Pet would be nice!

BadCat
09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I grew up in a zoo. My mother took in every stray animal within city limits. And she had birds...I hate birds.

I have fond memories of all of the animals I grew up with. (except the birds) There is one cat and one dog that no animal will ever compare to though.

I'm pretty sure birds hate you too.
Some people just shouldn't have pets.

About the only pet I don't have are fish, and I'm thinking of getting some.

I am also thinking about getting a Savannah cat, those things are way cool...if I could get a good F1.

http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/images/savannah-cat-a1-1.jpg

noonwitch
09-02-2009, 12:44 PM
My dog Katie is a sweetheart, and the perfect dog in so many ways.

My old dog, Rosie (Rosalita), was my baby, but she had some serious problems. I got her my senior year in college at the K-zoo pound. She was a puppy, and had worms so bad that they were spagetti-sized. She was really skinny, too. We got rid of the worms and fleas quickly, and even managed to housebreak her in a few weeks. The shelter didn't want me to adopt her, because she had been there a while and they were concerned she might not survive. My roommate called them up and gave them hell about whether they were in the business of saving animals or not, and if they didn't let me adopt the dog, "you all will be seeing my black ass on your front steps every day until you let her adopt the dog". I never knew what kind of breed she was-she was about 55-60 lbs, had wiry black hair. Her big head was shaped like a Scotty Terrier, but she was not of the right size for that breed. Her hair was like a Bouvier, though, and she was always shedding copious amounts all over the house.

Rosie was really stupid. When my parents were still married and living in the house I grew up in, she would run down the stairs so fast, she couldn't stop, and she would hit her head on the closet door at the end of the stairs. She would shake her head, run back upstairs, and do it all over again, repeatedly. On the upside, she would torment my mom's yorkie, and that yorkie was far more obnoxious than her current yorkie. Rosie would chase that little monster for hours.

Eventually, Rosie went blind, and my cat, Miranda, was her seeing-eye friend. Miranda would follow her around and make sure she didn't bump into anything, by jumping in front of her right before she was about to run into the wall or furniture. My cat has reverted back to her evil, feline ways in the 11 years since Rosie died, although she does lick Katie's ears sometimes.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 12:49 PM
It is raining cats and dogs so I get to annoy people today.

jinxmchue
09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I grew up in a zoo.

*snicker* *snort* *guffaw*

SaintLouieWoman
09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
My mom would never let me have a pet, except a beagle. She broke my heart when she took it to the Humane Society. I guess I never quite forgave her for giving away my dog.

Fast forward to graduation from college and my own place. My mom always said that I could have as many dogs as I wanted when I was out of her house. So I've usually had 2 or 3, and twice got up to 4 dogs at a time.

My most memorable dogs were the first dog I had as an adult, Schnapps, a very spirited schauzer, then my first Norwegian elkhound, Jeep, a greyt dog, whom I loved so much. Then there was my first greyhound Jessie, who was a stunningly beautiful fawn colored hound with an exceptional personality. Perhaps the dog I've been closest to is Blue. We've travelled a long path together to arrive at some sort of health for him. 6 years of coping with grand mal seizures created a tremendous bond between us. Now I'm so happy for him that he's finally enjoying a pleasant life, playing with the "girls", Darlene and Xena, and being finally able to run without falling.

Blue's my avatar pup, with the pic taken in one of the red canyons near Kenab, Utah.