PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Americans should get swine flu shot

expat-pattaya
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm all for it. But last I checked there wasn't going to be enough vaccine to go around by fall. The article doesn't coment on that so if anyone has heard differently let me know.

It is one thing to advise and another to have the option as I WILL get innoculated if it is available when I return to the states.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32645510/ns/health/?gt1=43001

WASHINGTON - With a potentially deadly swine flu outbreak looming, President Barack Obama is urging Americans to take steps to prevent infection.

Obama was briefed Tuesday on the nation's preparedness for swine flu by senior officials, including Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Homeland Security Janet Napolitano. Following the meeting, Obama said the government is preparing across all levels, but all Americans have a role to play in the response.

"I don't want anybody to be alarmed, but I do want everyone to be prepared," he said.

More follow link.......

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
The CDC is issuing instructions on prioritizing recipients according to risk. Little kids and pregnant women are first in line, then people with compromised immune systems, then random adults, and the elderly are last (because hardly any of them can get it - not because they are being rationed). At least that's what a public health nurse told me last week.

None of this will affect getting your regular flu shot (if you get one).

megimoo
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
The CDC is issuing instructions on prioritizing recipients according to risk. Little kids and pregnant women are first in line, then people with compromised immune systems, then random adults, and the elderly are last (because hardly any of them can get it - not because they are being rationed). At least that's what a public health nurse told me last week.

It's all part of his plan to dump the old folks I tell yah./paranoia mode= off

patriot45
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM

I heard this too, supposedly if you were born before 1957 you had some sort of exposure already and had a better chance at fighting it.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I heard this too, supposedly if you were born before 1957 you had some sort of exposure already and had a better chance at fighting it.

Linda Numbers is safe then!

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Linda Numbers is safe then!

Just how many of those pig avis do you have? I can't believe you found an "infection control" pig. :D

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Just how many of those pig avis do you have? I can't believe you found an "infection control" pig. :D

Thats why i choose pigs there is a virtually endess supply, more than smiley's .

stsinner
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
NO, thank you.

The only problem with this idea is that the swine flu vaccination itself has
been linked to a deadly condition known as Guillain-Barre Syndrome. This brain
disorder can lead to paralysis and even death in some cases. A recent letter
from the Health Protection Agency details the concerns that hundreds of
neurologists have with the vaccine. Only a few decades ago, in 1976, there was
an outbreak of swine flu. A vaccination was used to combat that outbreak;
however, over 500 cases of Guillain-Barre Syndrome were reported. More people
died from taking the vaccine than those who died from the actual swine flu. In
addition, the U.S. government had to pay millions of dollars to the victims and
their families. The vaccine was pulled after about a week and a half of use
after so many problems were reported. (http://www.mail-archive.com/goanet@lists.goanet.org/msg50163.html)

jinxmchue
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
More people died from taking the vaccine than those who died from the actual swine flu.

Yup.

sgrooms
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I work in emergency medicine and you won't find me taking that vaccine. Nor my wife and kids either.

noonwitch
09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I work in emergency medicine and you won't find me taking that vaccine. Nor my wife and kids either.

I work in Children's Services, and I won't be getting it either. I either will not get the swine flu, or get it and fight it off.

My sister will get the shot, though. She has a compromised immune system. My grandpa said he won't get it. He said at 96, the flu is not going to be what kills him.

BadCat
09-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Now why wouldn't you all want to just RUSH out and get a brand new, barely tested vaccine for a virus that didn't exist before this year and was developed by the GOVERNMENT (well, with intense government "involvement") in only 6 months?

CorwinK
09-02-2009, 06:10 PM
God I hope they dont make it manditory for the military to get it...id rather not get in trouble for telling doc to piss off :(

expat-pattaya
09-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow. A BIG case of mistrust here.

Are there any figures that support this mistrust? is this for ALL flu shots or just for the swine flu inoculation?

I get a flu shot every year. Had pneumonia twice and don't want the damn flu so unless someone can make a damn good argument WHY this inoculation is different I WILL get it if it is available.

BTW, the availability of it is curious. He is telling us to rush out and get the shot, but there isn't enough to go around. Odd.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm not taking the shot. If God is ready to take me I'll go.

patriot45
09-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm not taking the shot. If God is ready to take me I'll go.

I'm not taking the shot either.....Achoo, cough hack!

BadCat
09-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Are there any figures that support this mistrust? is this for ALL flu shots or just for the swine flu inoculation?

I get a flu shot every year. Had pneumonia twice and don't want the damn flu so unless someone can make a damn good argument WHY this inoculation is different I WILL get it if it is available.

BTW, the availability of it is curious. He is telling us to rush out and get the shot, but there isn't enough to go around. Odd.

See my post above.

This strain of flu never existed before this year.

They RUSHED the vaccine into production.

They're not even finished with the testing, but they want you to get the shot?

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Dude, why get the annual flu shot if your issue is pneumonia? Why not just get the annual pneumonia shot? :confused:

djones520
09-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm expecting to be ordered to get the shot here in the next few weeks. :mad:

expat-pattaya
09-03-2009, 02:10 AM
See my post above.

This strain of flu never existed before this year.

They RUSHED the vaccine into production.

They're not even finished with the testing, but they want you to get the shot?

My understanding is EVERY flu strain is new every year and the time to production doesn't vary. I guess I'm sensing a lot of mistrust and I don't get it.

expat-pattaya
09-03-2009, 02:15 AM
Dude, why get the annual flu shot if your issue is pneumonia? Why not just get the annual pneumonia shot? :confused:

I got a pneumonia shot once. Are you certain it is an annual event and not a longer duration?

I get the flu shot because my immune system MAY be compromised from having pneumonia. IN any event, I get the inoculations my doc sugests. He also makes me take fish oil and eat less salt. Bastard wants me to lose 30 pounds too :mad:

You know, numbers can be used lots of ways. Those saying 50 die from the vaccine which is more than the actual flu kills might be correct - but it is a meaningless comparison. How many MORE would die from the flu without the vaccine? That is the number to compare.

It is possible that the vaccine SAVES 1000s while killing 50. I dunno. I still have enough faith in my doctor that he would not suggest something to me without good reason.