PDA

View Full Version : "Piss off, hippie."

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Chez Pazienza Editor of Deus Ex Malcontent, Author, Ex-Network News Producer, Guitar Hero

Posted: September 1, 2009 11:40 AM

What a Long, Strange, Thoroughly Obnoxious Trip It's Been

I'll never forget it: On July 13th, 1985, folk legend Joan Baez walked onto the stage at Philadelphia's JFK Stadium -- site of the U.S. half of that day's massive Live Aid concert -- looked out over the crowd of rowdy kids, lifted up her voice as if she were a pastor at a revival and said triumphantly, "Children of the 80s, this is your Woodstock and it's long overdue."

I'll also never forget my reaction as I sat on a couch with my teenage friends, all of us watching the show live on MTV:

"Piss off, hippie."

At first glance, my swift and admittedly crude dismissal of an icon of 1960s counter-culture might seem the product of my youth, immaturity and overall lack of ability at the time to appreciate the positive impact that Joan Baez and those like her had on the generation that followed them. You know something though? I'm now almost 40, and although there are those who would tell you that my level of maturity remains that of a teenager, I gotta say -- I don't give any more of a crap about Joan Baez today than I did in 1985. Looking back on it, I still consider her little more than a silly, pompous 60s cliché.

It's standard operating procedure, practically a rite of passage, for each new generation to fiercely rebel against the one that preceded it -- regardless of the optimistic nonsense that Pepsi's highly paid ad agency would have you believe. But for anyone unlucky enough to follow those who came of age in the 1960s, defiance to some extent has felt all but impossible. This is because, quite frankly, the 60s marked a high point in the evolution of American society as a whole and set an inapproachable standard across so many aspects of our culture -- music, art, political activism, even the act of defiance itself -- and it did this despite being one of the most turbulent periods in our nation's history.

And how do we know this?

Because for 40-some-odd years, the fucking Baby Boomers have never stopped reminding us.

Read the whole thing. It's an excellent summation of why pretentious former hippies and fans of their monumentally vapid "lifestyle" are so stridently irrelevant. Or you just go with the more concise "piss off, hippies" meme. :D

HuffPo (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chez-pazienza/what-a-long-strange-thoro_b_273774.html)

ralph wiggum
09-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Or you just go with the more concise "piss off, hippies" meme. :D

That's what Cartman would do.

noonwitch
09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
As a forty-something, boomers can really piss me off because they are so self-absorbed. I do like the hippie's music, however.

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 04:32 PM
As a forty-something, boomers can really piss me off because they are so self-absorbed. I do like the hippie's music, however.

Really? I started getting sick of it by the time I was 15.

It is tedious the way boomers have redefined all sorts of things according to their own worldview and then they act like a different perspective just isn't allowed because...........well, it just isn't. You see this everywhere but it's especially galling in pop culture.

The beatniks and their hippie love children petulantly decided that art, music, architecture, theater, dance, and poetry were "stifling" and so they legitimized "art" that knows no history, technique, talent, or purpose. Now we're stuck with 3 generations of worthless "transgressive" art that future generations will laugh at.

Crystal Wizard
09-02-2009, 05:48 PM

Really? I hadn't noticed that many of us were "self-absorbed." :D

And, I'm willing to bet more people know who Joan Baez is than know this nobody.

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 06:12 PM
And, I'm willing to bet more people know who Joan Baez is than know this nobody.

Well, sure - in nursing homes, anyway. :p

BadCat
09-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Because I have hair down to my belt, a lot of people automatically assume I am a hippie.

It can be very entertaining.

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Really? I hadn't noticed that many of us were "self-absorbed." :D

Nice avatar. :D

Shannon
09-02-2009, 07:45 PM
And how do we know this?

Because for 40-some-odd years, the fucking Baby Boomers have never stopped reminding us.

Isn't that the truth.:rolleyes:

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Ahhh, LiveAid. I also watched it live on MTV with a bunch of friends, drinking some beers. The two greatest moments were when Joan Baez and Madonna got booed by millions of people across the globe. Truly a moment of unity.

Live Aid was a success because a bunch of teenagers and 20 somethings wanted to be able to see some great bands all at the same time for a reasonable ticket price. It had nothing to do with wanting to help Africa or or start a revolution, or commune with your fellow man. Alex P. Keaton ruled the airwaves. This was a pragmatic opportunity to drink some beer, smoke some week (if that was your thing) and listen to some good tunes. Joan and Madonna almost, but not quite, harshed the mellow that day.

Shannon
09-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Ahhh, LiveAid. I also watched it live on MTV with a bunch of friends, drinking some beers. The two greatest moments were when Joan Baez and Madonna got booed by millions of people across the globe. Truly a moment of unity.

Live Aid was a success because a bunch of teenagers and 20 somethings wanted to be able to see some great bands all at the same time for a reasonable ticket price. It had nothing to do with wanting to help Africa or or start a revolution, or commune with your fellow man. Alex P. Keaton ruled the airwaves. This was a pragmatic opportunity to drink some beer, smoke some week (if that was your thing) and listen to some good tunes. Joan and Madonna almost, but not quite, harshed the mellow that day.

I never smoked week. Alex P. Keaton was my first crush though.

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Smoking weeks never seemed to be a good use of time. Now, smoking months, that's another story altogether.

Shannon
09-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Smoking weeks never seemed to be a good use of time. Now, smoking months, that's another story altogether.

I was going to go with days but I like months better.

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 08:15 PM

I used to smoke week. Then I started doing months, not every month, but just some months. Then I did a quarter. I was like whoa. A quarter isn't just three months. A quarter is qualitatively as well as quantitatively different from a month.

Like, an order of magnitude difference. Quarters were hard time.

Then I woke up when I was thinking about doing a year. I saw others who were doing years. Not a pretty sight.

I realized that time was not on my side.

I just do days now. Is this Tuesday?

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I used to smoke week. Then I started doing months, not every month, but just some months. Then I did a quarter. I was like whoa. A quarter isn't just three months. A quarter is qualitatively as well as quantitatively different from a month.

Like, an order of magnitude difference. Quarters were hard time.

Then I woke up when I was thinking about doing a year. I saw others who were doing years. Not a pretty sight.

I realized that time was not on my side.

I just do days now. Is this Tuesday?

You know what the worst part of this is...I noticed Shannon's typo, but not mine!! Damn, it's been a long week, and it's just going to get longer, I'm afraid. Maybe I should find some week to mellow me out. (kidding, kidding..but I should grab a beer).

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 08:28 PM
You know what the worst part of this is...I noticed Shannon's typo, but not mine!! Damn, it's been a long week, and it's just going to get longer, I'm afraid. Maybe I should find some week to mellow me out. (kidding, kidding..but I should grab a beer).

LOL. When I saw the typo I almost hurt myself clicking the quote button before you could correct it.

What you need is a few days on the trail. It is getting to be hiking weather. I don't like to hike in the warm months. Not only is is just too hot to enjoy it, but there are ticks. I almost died of tick fever once.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 08:31 PM
LOL. When I saw the typo I almost hurt myself clicking the quote button before you could correct it.

What you need is a few days on the trail. It is getting to be hiking weather. I don't like to hike in the warm months. Not only is is just too hot to enjoy it, but there are ticks. I almost died of tick fever once.

Hmm! Bubba dawg, ticks, do you have fleas too?

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 08:31 PM

Yeah...looks like my hiking is going to be curtailed this year. Hopefully I can get out there in the early spring, though. I've given up hiking during the summer months as well. I'd much rather have the temp around 20 - 30 degrees than above 70.

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Hmm! Bubba dawg, ticks, do you have fleas too?

LOL. No. But chiggers, or as we call 'em, red bugs, are dreadful.

I always look at the flea treatment I put on the dogs and wonder, Why wouldn't this work on me...??

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
LOL. No. But chiggers, or as we call 'em, red bugs, are dreadful.

I always look at the flea treatment I put on the dogs and wonder, Why wouldn't this work on me...??

I'm sure it would. Give it a try.

Bubba Dawg
Yeah...looks like my hiking is going to be curtailed this year. Hopefully I can get out there in the early spring, though. I've given up hiking during the summer months as well. I'd much rather have the temp around 20 - 30 degrees than above 70.

Sorry about your being busy for the fall. We just got back from Edisto Island SC and it was very hot and humid down there. We rode bikes but it was very hot and buggy too.

We plan to go to Cashiers NC for a couple of weekends at the end of this month. The hiking is good up there. Mostly short trails but we do day hikes anyway.

I refuse to sleep on the ground unless I absolutely have to.

Shannon

That is too funny.:D

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Sorry about your being busy for the fall. We just got back from Edisto Island SC and it was very hot and humid down there. We rode bikes but it was very hot and buggy too.

We plan to go to Cashiers NC for a couple of weekends at the end of this month. The hiking is good up there. Mostly short trails but we do day hikes anyway.

I refuse to sleep on the ground unless I absolutely have to.

I agree about the ground sleeping. It seems fun. But it's really not. So far I've managed to come up with lots of excuses as to why camping out just isn't on the agenda lately. So far they've all worked.

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I agree about the ground sleeping. It seems fun. But it's really not. So far I've managed to come up with lots of excuses as to why camping out just isn't on the agenda lately. So far they've all worked.

Bingo. We used to camp, and I still enjoy car camping sometimes, but that is nothing like backpacking.

At the end of a day of hiking, I want a shower, a hot meal, a good drink, a comfortable chair, and a warm bed.

SaintLouieWoman
09-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I did the "ground camping" at the zoo. They have overnights for scout groups. There was one where the kids and parents were able to put their sleeping bags on this grassy hill near the elephants.

I thought it would be a greyt idea, so I foolishly volunteered. I used a sleeping bag, got a waterproof plastic sheet that I put on the ground, then a comforter, then the sleeping bag. It was torture. I never realized how hard that grass could be. :eek::D

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Bingo. We used to camp, and I still enjoy car camping sometimes, but that is nothing like backpacking.

At the end of a day of hiking, I want a shower, a hot meal, a good drink, a comfortable chair, and a warm bed.

Yeah. You should have seen my first backpack. I bought the children's size. I didn't want my partner loading me up with lots of heavy stuff. That didn't last long, though.

I actually have a great backpack for the backpacking trips. And while I enjoyed it, even after almost losing a toe to frostbite (okay, so maybe it wasn't really frostbite, but it damn sure felt like it), a cold drink, hot meal and soft bed are such a better way to end 6hours on the trail than warm water, some mushy noodles, and fighting over the blanket because someone wanted to save some weight.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 08:54 PM
I did the "ground camping" at the zoo. They have overnights for scout groups. There was one where the kids and parents were able to put their sleeping bags on this grassy hill near the elephants.

I thought it would be a greyt idea, so I foolishly volunteered. I used a sleeping bag, got a waterproof plastic sheet that I put on the ground, then a comforter, then the sleeping bag. It was torture. I never realized how hard that grass could be. :eek::D

You can buy excellent air mattresses that are almost as comfortable as home!

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 08:55 PM

For me, the ground has gotten progressively harder the more summers pass. Funny how that works. :D

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah. You should have seen my first backpack. I bought the children's size. I didn't want my partner loading me up with lots of heavy stuff. That didn't last long, though.

I actually have a great backpack for the backpacking trips. And while I enjoyed it, even after almost losing a toe to frostbite (okay, so maybe it wasn't really frostbite, but it damn sure felt like it), a cold drink, hot meal and soft bed are such a better way to end 6hours on the trail than warm water, some mushy noodles, and fighting over the blanket because someone wanted to save some weight.

You are wise beyond your years.

PoliCon
09-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Read the whole thing. It's an excellent summation of why pretentious former hippies and fans of their monumentally vapid "lifestyle" are so stridently irrelevant. Or you just go with the more concise "piss off, hippies" meme. :D

HuffPo (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chez-pazienza/what-a-long-strange-thoro_b_273774.html)

I don't have to read an article to agree with that statement!!

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
You are wise beyond your years.

One would think so...although I still want to spend at least a month on the AT...someday.

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 09:00 PM

When we go car camping, I take all kinds of stuff that make the campsite very comfortable. Air mattresses are really nice.

The thing about the shower though.....

And TV. I also like a full kitchen.

Flush toilets. I really like flush toilets.

My robe and fuzzy slippers.....

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 09:01 PM
One would think so...although I still want to spend at least a month on the AT...someday.

Now that would be an Adventure. Adventures have different rules. :D

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Now that would be an Adventure. Adventures have different rules. :D

ha!! That's what I tell my niece and nephews. We don't go on vacation...we go on adventures!

SaintLouieWoman
09-02-2009, 09:07 PM

If I camped more, would get it. Someone had offered to lend me their's, and I foolishly turned it down, thought I'd be alright.

The next time I did one of those little sleepovers, I ended up sleeping on an old couch in the basement of the primate house. Then I heard lots of critters. That was my last sleepover. I heard that some wild foxes ran over people laying outside in their sleeping bags, so I decided that was the last of the sleepovers. The boy and girl scouts are hardier. :D

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 09:07 PM
For me, the ground has gotten progressively harder the more summers pass. Funny how that works. :D

I thought you said you were progressively getting more padding!

FlaGator
09-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Perhaps we could get back on topic and talk about pissing off hippies.

Shannon
09-02-2009, 09:13 PM

Killjoy!

Phillygirl
09-02-2009, 09:19 PM

I'm going to slow down at work, make less money, and pay less taxes. That ought to piss off the hippies counting on me for their welfare.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 09:22 PM
now you pissed them off!

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
If I camped more, would get it. Someone had offered to lend me their's, and I foolishly turned it down, thought I'd be alright.

The next time I did one of those little sleepovers, I ended up sleeping on an old couch in the basement of the primate house. Then I heard lots of critters. That was my last sleepover. I heard that some wild foxes ran over people laying outside in their sleeping bags, so I decided that was the last of the sleepovers. The boy and girl scouts are hardier. :D

Sportsman's guide has one on a platform. My wifes biggest problem was she didn't like being so close to the ground.

Shannon
09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm going to slow down at work, make less money, and pay less taxes. That ought to piss off the hippies counting on me for their welfare.

If you do all that and stop bathing you will be one of them.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 09:26 PM
If you do all that and stop bathing you will be one of them.
She would have to stop all shaving too!

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 09:43 PM
ha!! That's what I tell my niece and nephews. We don't go on vacation...we go on adventures!

That's what I tell Miz Bubba when we're going on vacation or going hiking or biking.

We'll be about to set off and I'll have to set the trip odometer to zero because Were going on an ADVENTURE!!!!

Shannon
09-02-2009, 09:46 PM
That's what I tell Miz Bubba when we're going on vacation or going hiking or biking.

We'll be about to set off and I'll have to set the trip odometer to zero because Were going on an ADVENTURE!!!!

I want your wife to meet us in St. Augustine. You...not so much.:p

BSR
09-02-2009, 09:50 PM

I smoke month myself... It's much stronger.

BadCat
09-02-2009, 09:51 PM

I smoke Marlboros.

The rest of your are fucking weirdos.

Shannon
09-02-2009, 09:55 PM

You're late. We've already had fun with this.:rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I want your wife to meet us in St. Augustine. You...not so much.:p

I have a child-like outlook on life. It keeps us young. :p

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I smoke Marlboros.

The rest of your are fucking weirdos.

Admit it. You smoke Marlboros because it's fun to listen to the clerk at the convenience store try to pronounce Mahlbara........Mahr...bara...

Gingersnap
09-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I don't have to read an article to agree with that statement!!

And now - back to Boomer-bashing. :)

enslaved1
09-03-2009, 12:50 AM

Between this and the report I heard about a "Recycle Cycle" across the state to raise awareness about the need to recycle, I'm reminded of what a waste raising awareness is. It irritates me that so many people, (most of them libs, but far from all of them) think that a tshirt or bumper sticker or concert makes any difference in helping their cause. Promoting a band or radio station, that's one thing. Solving a problem is completely different. Just because someone reads your tshirt or even your blog and is aware of whatever issue you are promoting doesn't mean they will do anything about it.

Crystal Wizard
09-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Nice avatar. :D

Returning to the fundamentals. :D

Crystal Wizard
09-03-2009, 09:56 AM
And now - back to Boomer-bashing. :)

Hey! :mad: I happen to like Baez very much. I saw her and Dylan at FL Field many years ago and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Next you're going to start bashing the Moody Blues! :eek:

And I don't know a single baby boomer who is "self-absorbed." :D

Gingersnap
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Hey! :mad: I happen to like Baez very much. I saw her and Dylan at FL Field many years ago and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Next you're going to start bashing the Moody Blues! :eek:

And I don't know a single baby boomer who is "self-absorbed." :D

The list of boomer-generated pop culture crap that I either dislike or consider worthless is very long. The Moodly Blues occupies slot #46 on that list somewhere between Janis Joplin and the miniseries "Roots". :p

linda22003
09-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I had a friend who described the Moody Blues as "Mantovani with teeth." Perfect. :D

Average Voter
09-03-2009, 01:27 PM
The problem is that now these hippies and the rest of the 1960s-retreads are now running the Congress and Whitehouse.

PoliCon
09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
The problem is that now these hippies and the rest of the 1960s-retreads are now running the Congress and Whitehouse.

Because our side abdicated their duty and responsibilities and left it to them.