PDA

View Full Version : Cornell students build fart detector

bijou
09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
After learning in class how breathalyzers work, Robert Clain and Miguel Salas assembled a fart detector from a sensitive hydrogen sulfide monitor, a thermometer and a microphone and wrote the software that would rate the emission. A “slight perturbance in the air” near the detector sets it to work measuring the three pillars of fart quality: stench, temperature and sound. Temperature, Clain explains, is critical. The hotter a fart, the faster it spreads. “It beeps faster if it’s a high ranker, and a voice rates it on a scale of zero to nine,” he says. “If it ranks a nine, a fan comes on to blow it away. It even records the noise so you can play it back later.” After a few months of construction, they began field tests. “Well, the sample data wasn’t the entire school, but we definitely tested it,” Salas says.

link (http://doubleplusundead.mee.nu/leave_it_too_an_engineer_-_cornell_students_build_fart_detector)

JB
09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
It's true. You learn something new everyday.

I did not know Cornell was in Florida.

BadCat
09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Did I ever tell you about the Million Dollar Fart?

Back when I was a geophysicist in the oil business, I was at a drilling well in North Dakota. The Williston Basin in ND is well known for having hydrogen sulfide pockets which can be quite fatal to drilling crews if the bit happens to hit one.

So, all the rigs are mandated to have hydrogen sulfide detection units and rehearsed evacuation plans should the bit encounter hydrogen sulfide.

On a drilling well, there are these guys called mud loggers. They are usually geologists who are responsible for logging the drill cuttings. They have gas detectors and gas chromatographs for monitoring the gases encountered in the bore hole.

Late one night, a very bored mud logger unhooked the tube from the gas chromatograph and put it between his legs and let one rip. I guess he didn't know the contents of flatulence, but he was sure surprised when all the H2S detectors on the drill site went off.

They went through the whole "shut down / evacuation" procedure, including firing the blow out preventers, which are BIG hydraulic rams, designed to shear off the drill stem and seal the bore.

They left 9000 some feet of drill stem, a big diamond bit, and tons of non-circulating drilling mud in that sheared borehole. All of it had to be "fished" out by specialized equipment and crews called in for the task. The drilling was idle for almost two weeks.

Total cost of that fart was almost $1.4 million 1980 US dollars.

megimoo
09-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Did I ever tell you about the Million Dollar Fart?

Back when I was a geophysicist in the oil business, I was at a drilling well in North Dakota. The Williston Basin in ND is well known for having hydrogen sulfide pockets which can be quite fatal to drilling crews if the bit happens to hit one.

So, all the rigs are mandated to have hydrogen sulfide detection units and rehearsed evacuation plans should the bit encounter hydrogen sulfide.

On a drilling well, there are these guys called mud loggers. They are usually geologists who are responsible for logging the drill cuttings. They have gas detectors and gas chromatographs for monitoring the gases encountered in the bore hole.

Late one night, a very bored mud logger unhooked the tube from the gas chromatograph and put it between his legs and let one rip. I guess he didn't know the contents of flatulence, but he was sure surprised when all the H2S detectors on the drill site went off.

They went through the whole "shut down / evacuation" procedure, including firing the blow out preventers, which are BIG hydraulic rams, designed to shear off the drill stem and seal the bore.

They left 9000 some feet of drill stem, a big diamond bit, and tons of non-circulating drilling mud in that sheared borehole. All of it had to be "fished" out by specialized equipment and crews called in for the task. The drilling was idle for almost two weeks.

Total cost of that fart was almost $1.4 million 1980 US dollars.
And the damn fool lost his job ?

BadCat
09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
And the damn fool lost his job ?

Oh yeah.

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2009, 07:53 PM
The story goes, a guy goes into the emergency room with pain in the upper stomach, close enough to the chest that they hook him up to IV's and put an EKG on him and everything else modern medical technology affords to someone who might possibly be having a heart attack.

Minutes pass. He is being monitored closely. Then he lets loose a tremendous fart and feels 100% better.

He looks at the EKG lines, the Iv tubes and all the waiting medical staff in the ER and says Damn, I'll bet that fart cost me $5,000.00 dollars.

jinxmchue
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Didn't they do this on Mythbusters?

noonwitch
09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
My dad said that when he was in Korea doing border patrol after the war, that one of his buddies dropped a burning cigarette butt down an outhouse, then sat on the toilet seat to take a dump. The cigarette lit the methane gas, and blew up the toilet under him. I guess he got burned badly enough to get discharged.