PDA

View Full Version : Can I actually say that I am pro-abortion?

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6449039

Taverner (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-02-09 06:36 PM
Original message
Can I actually say that I am pro-abortion?
As in, if someone needs an abortion, they should get one?

If someone has any doubts about having a kid, they should get rid of it?

If they cannot financially provide for a kid, they should have an abortion?

If the kid has defects, and will live life in extreme pain, they should abort that kid?

Call me pro-abortion because I am completely for the procedure

It's a life saver

robcon (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-02-09 06:41 PM
Response to Original message
7. That's a stupid position, IMO.
Your support points are disgusting to me.

I support choice, but I am not pro-abortion.

musette_sf (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-02-09 06:48 PM
Response to Reply #7
12. - 1K
your disgust over a legal medical procedure that WOMEN sometimes need, disgusts me.

paulsby (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-02-09 09:25 PM
Response to Reply #12
41. just because it is a legal medical procudure...
you can keep repeating that mantra like... "legal medical procedure legal medical procedure" doesn't mean that there is no moral component whatsoever or that it shouldn't be a difficult decision.

abortion is the termination of a life. a dependant life. a life that is (depending on trimester) largely undeveloped, etc. but it should not be viewed the same as, for example, removing a wart, which is also a "legal medical procedure"

but hey, at least you are honest about your position. i can respect that. i am pro-choice. i will never concede that abortion is merely a medical procedure between a woman and her doctor, because the reality is it is a medical procedure that affects a third party- the fetus.

first trimester? as far as i am concerned, abort away on demand. after that, it becomes a bit trickier imo.

it is true women sometimes NEED an abortion. many other times, women CHOOSE an abortion, and i am 100% supportive of their right to do so, but it is hardly just any old medical procedure.
Alert

jhrobbins (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-02-09 08:15 PM
Response to Reply #7
36. I am in 100% agreement with your position. To be pro-abortion strikes
me as a bit extreme. Regardless of a religious position, I still struggle with the point at which a cluster of cells becomes a human being. I know this is an unpopular position here in DU, but I still struggle with this. I am in no way anti-abortion, I'm just not pro-abortion - I'm pro choice and I feel very sorry for the women that have to struggle to make this difficult decision (at least I hope they struggle with it. Hell, I had a tough time spaying my cat that was carrying a litter of kittens.

Taverner (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-02-09 07:03 PM
Response to Reply #19
20. No - what I am saying is if you have to do it do it without hesitation
A fetus has the same nervous system as a tadpole

Not that I encourage killing tadpoles, but you get the idea

Some day there are going to be a lot of very remorseful people.

stsinner
09-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Taverner? Fitting name..

This idiot is likely a beneficiary of abortion and has been saved from the burden of, as Obama put it, being punished with a baby... Probably whored around and got people pregnant and then begged the poor woman to abort it..

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Taverner? Fitting name..

This idiot is likely a beneficiary of abortion and has been saved from the burden of, as Obama put it, being punished with a baby... Probably whored around and got people pregnant and then begged the poor woman to abort it..

Of course we will have to wait for Linda Numbers to tell us what to think of this.

linda22003
09-03-2009, 07:54 AM
I don't tell anyone what to think on this (or any other) subject, and I anticipate the same in return.

stsinner
09-03-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't tell anyone what to think on this (or any other) subject, and I anticipate the same in return.

This is the first instance at which I picked up on the fact that you must not be Christian. Wow! How'd I miss that all along...

linda22003
09-03-2009, 11:11 AM
This is the first instance at which I picked up on the fact that you must not be Christian. Wow! How'd I miss that all along...

Because I allow people their own opinions? That's news to me.

stsinner
09-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Because I allow people their own opinions? That's news to me.

Do you have any idea the state the world would be in if everyone just kept their opinions to themselves and allowed people to act on every sick and twisted whim they had? How does the gospel of Jesus Christ get spread across the world? By keeping your mouth shut?

Surely you've seen those bracelets people wear that have WWJD on them.. I don't know if you take solace in the question posed on that bracelet at all, but it really feels good to think that Jesus would approve of what you're doing at a particular moment, and if I have the chance to speak out against murdering an unborn child, I take that opportunity. It surely can't speak up for itself.

I'm not saying that I stand on the street corner and yell at people or picket outside abortion clinics, but to simply say that I'll leave them alone as long as they leave me alone isn't a good choice, IMO. I do have an opinion on it, and I'll express it when it's appropriate...and often when it's not..

Rockntractor
09-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry Linda I shouldn't have baited you that way. You turn up at abortion threads quite frequently and I was messing with you. I apologize!

linda22003
09-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Surely you've seen those bracelets people wear that have WWJD on them.

Yes; in the first Bush administration, they were interpreted as "What Would Jenna Drink?"

I don't know if you take solace in the question posed on that bracelet at al

I don't wear my faith on my sleeve, or in this case at the end of my sleeve, in embossed, brightly colored rubber.

but it really feels good to think that Jesus would approve of what you're doing at a particular moment
I try to conduct myself that way. Like almost all humans, I often fall short. If not haranguing other people isn't "Christian", so be it. Actually, I'm even worse. I'm Episcopalian.

I'm not saying that I stand on the street corner and yell at people or picket outside abortion clinics
Why not? According to what you've said, that would be Christian conduct.

movie buff
09-05-2009, 08:42 AM
"If someone has any doubts about having a kid, they should get rid of it?

If they cannot financially provide for a kid, they should have an abortion?"
Did it not occur to the DUmmy that in those cases, there's a little procedure called "Put the child up for adoption" which relieves the parents of the aforementioned burdens/ doubts without hideously murdering the child?