PDA

View Full Version : The Male Privilege Checklist

Gingersnap
09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
The Male Privilege Checklist (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=229&topic_id=3488&mesg_id=3488)

bloom (1000+ posts) Mon Nov-21-05 10:41 PM
Original message

The Male Privilege Checklist

An Unabashed Imitation of an article by Peggy McIntosh

In 1990, Wellesley College professor Peggy McIntosh wrote an essay called "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack". McIntosh observes that whites in the U.S. are "taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group." To illustrate these invisible systems, McIntosh wrote a list of 26 invisible privileges whites benefit from.

As McIntosh points out, men also tend to be unaware of their own privileges as men. In the spirit of McIntosh's essay, I thought I'd compile a list similar to McIntosh's, focusing on the invisible privileges benefiting men.

The Male Privilege Checklist

1. My odds of being hired for a job, when competing against female applicants, are probably skewed in my favor. The more prestigious the job, the larger the odds are skewed.

2. I can be confident that my co-workers won't think I got my job because of my sex - even though that might be true.

3. If I am never promoted, it's not because of my sex.

4. If I fail in my job or career, I can feel sure this won't be seen as a black mark against my entire sex's capabilities.

5. The odds of my encountering sexual harassment on the job are so low as to be negligible.

6. If I do the same task as a woman, and if the measurement is at all subjective, chances are people will think I did a better job.

7. If I'm a teen or adult, and if I can stay out of prison, my odds of being raped are so low as to be negligible.

8. I am not taught to fear walking alone after dark in average public spaces.

9. If I choose not to have children, my masculinity will not be called into question.

10. If I have children but do not provide primary care for them, my masculinity will not be called into question.

11. If I have children and provide primary care for them, I'll be praised for extraordinary parenting if I'm even marginally competent.

12. If I have children and pursue a career, no one will think I'm selfish for not staying at home.

13. If I seek political office, my relationship with my children, or who I hire to take care of them, will probably not be scrutinized by the press.

14. Chances are my elected representatives are mostly people of my own sex. The more prestigious and powerful the elected position, the more likely this is to be true.

15. I can be somewhat sure that if I ask to see "the person in charge," I will face a person of my own sex. The higher-up in the organization the person is, the surer I can be.

16. As a child, chances are I was encouraged to be more active and outgoing than my sisters.

17. As a child, I could choose from an almost infinite variety of children's media featuring positive, active, non-stereotyped heroes of my own sex. I never had to look for it; male heroes were the default.

18. As a child, chances are I got more teacher attention than girls who raised their hands just as often.

19. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether or not it has sexist overtones.

20. I can turn on the television or glance at the front page of the newspaper and see people of my own sex widely represented, every day, without exception.

21. If I'm careless with my financial affairs it won't be attributed to my sex.

22. If I'm careless with my driving it won't be attributed to my sex.

23. I can speak in public to a large group without putting my sex on trial.

24. If I have sex with a lot of people, it won't make me an object of contempt or derision.

25. There are value-neutral clothing choices available to me; it is possible for me to choose clothing that doesn't send any particular message to the world.

There are 40+ items on the list so I only brought over about half.

stsinner
09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Ginger, for some reason, I think that a person like you thinks that this list is silly, because you don't strike me as the kind of woman to sit around and feel sorry for yourself and blame the glass ceiling, but instead get things done!

I'll bet there are many women that read each point and go, "Yeah!! That's right!." And they sit around loathing men and society, instead of just doing their best and achieving what they want to achieve..

The very same thing could be written about whites and blacks, and each point would be just as silly.

BadCat
09-03-2009, 10:57 AM
24. If I have sex with a lot of people, it won't make me an object of contempt or derision.

This is my favorite one.
We actually get "bonus points" for it. (if you substitute "women" for people, anyway)

Gingersnap
09-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I do think a lot of this is silly. Mr. Snaps has sometimes pointed out that many of the "privileges" attributed to white males were generally only applicable to a handful of white males who lucked out in the birth lottery.

The average guy down through history hasn't enjoyed the power and authority that contemporary feminists like to imagine.

What also strikes me as silly is the number of items that are determined by biology. Yes, having babies impacts a woman's career more than it impacts a man's career. On the other hand, modestly fat and entirely lazy women will usually live longer than the most dedicated male fitness fanatic. It's a wash.

noonwitch
09-03-2009, 01:17 PM
There is some truth in it about women's status, especially as concerns money and the workplace. Jobs in female dominated careers don't pay as well as those in male dominated fields, except maybe teaching at a public school in a well-funded district.

There are trade-offs, though. Social work is a female-dominated field, and many of my female coworkers who have kids would trade the better wages of another job, for the flexibility of hours that we have. They can deal with their kids' schedules, and still put in an 8 hour day. Plus, as state employees, we have good health care, which is also helpful when you have kids.

If I had realized at 18 that I would be an unmarried 45 year old, I may have chose a more lucrative career than this. But I'm not complaining too much-I have a pension, and health care for life, plus I actually like many aspects of my job, like working with kids and their families.

cajunrevenge
09-04-2009, 02:17 AM
There are advantages both ways.

If a woman gets pregnant she has the "choice" to abort the pregnancy, if a man gets a woman pregnant he has no "choice" as to whether to have a baby or not.

It is far far easier to sleep your way to the top as a woman than a man.

Lesbians are far more socially acceptable than gay men

Women almost always get custody of their kids after a divorce.

Women are far less likely to go bald

Women may make less money but who pays on a date? Who has to come up with a "meaningful" gift for Valentines Day, Birthdays, Christmas, Anniversaries... Most men couldnt care less what they get and would settle for a steak and a BJ.

Women will always get sympathy over men. A woman can hit a man all they want but lay a finger on a woman and the cops will arrest you for domestic violence.

There is no male equivalent to a vibrator.

Women are far less likely to ever pay for sex or strippers.

Women can get fake breasts, if you aint got it where it counts as a man your just screwed.

I havent been in many girls bathrooms but the one at my HS was far superior to the boys room

ralph wiggum
09-04-2009, 02:22 AM
Good post, cajunrevenge.

And welcome back...if you are the same one who posted under that name in years past. :D

MrsSmith
09-04-2009, 08:07 PM
5. The odds of my encountering sexual harassment on the job are so low as to be negligible.

I wouldn't bet on that...guys just don't sue over it. Where I work, in a female-dominated environment, my male co-workers have frequently complained about female managers coming on to them, and about crude statements made by other women. I've seen a couple women go way overboard.

13. If I seek political office, my relationship with my children, or who I hire to take care of them, will probably not be scrutinized by the press.

This one is very true...as we saw in all the hit pieces the "tolerant" liberal press did on Sarah Palin.

SarasotaRepub
09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
7. If I'm a teen or adult, and if I can stay out of prison, my odds of being raped are so low as to be negligible.

This is very difficult for DUmmies, especially if they live in Miami...:D

PoliCon
09-04-2009, 09:59 PM
You have to love how groups come up with lists to justify their failure to achieve.

Shannon
09-05-2009, 12:09 AM
There is a whole "lotta" BS going on with this thread.

NJCardFan
09-05-2009, 01:46 AM
How about these counterpoints:

1: Women are less likely to be sentenced to death for the same crime as a man. On top of that, men receive harsher penalties for lesser crimes than women.

2: Women have an easier time finding a mate than a man. If you want to prove this theory, send 1 man and 1 woman of equal looks into a bar and have them ask 10 people for their phone number. Chances are the woman would have greater success than a man.

3: A woman can marry for money.

5: There aren't many men who can charm their way out of a traffic ticket.

6: A man will get arrested and his name and picture plastered all over the newspapers if he fails to pay his court mandated child support yet a woman can deny court mandated visitation all she wants with little to know retribution.

7: A man dates a younger woman and he's branded a dirty old man or accused of having a "trophy wife" yet if an older woman dates a younger man they call it a May/December romance.

8: A man will have a tougher time taking extended time off from work to raise a child.

9: A man has never been acquitted of a serious crime due to hormonal imbalances or PMS.

10: I've never heard of a kept man.