PDA

View Full Version : Speechifyin' Friday

linda22003
09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Autumn seems to have started early in the DC area; the A/C hasn't run all week and we sleep with the windows open at night.:)

TOTD: With all the brouhaha about Obama's planned speech to school children next week, I was wondering what we all remember about nationwide communications when we were in school. For kids my age, it was probably the space shots, and that was if your teacher brought in her own TV, and could get the rabbit ears pointed in the right direction to pick up some blurred image of John Glenn's face. What do you remember?

FlaGator
09-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Honestly, I don't remember any. I'm not saying it never happened but I don't recall every having to sit through one while I was in school. Nothing short of a Presidential assassination could preempt the soaps back on those days.

linda22003
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Nothing short of a Presidential assassination could preempt the soaps back on those days.

That's literally true. I was with our housekeeper, who was watching "As the World Turns" at lunchtime, when CBS broke in with the first headlines on the JFK assassination.

Gingersnap
09-04-2009, 09:40 AM
We're cooling off and the skies are now clear of California smoke. I'm looking forward to a long weekend.

TOTD: Nothing at all comes to mind. If a teacher ever plugged in a TV, I must have missed it. About the only White House-related thing I remember was the President's physical fitness challenge (or whatever it was called). The first week of school the gym teacher would jot down how many push-ups or pull-ups or whatever every kid could do and then we'd get tested again every couple of months. At the end of the year he'd put up a chart showing how much everybody had improved and we'd get certificates. If you improved a lot, you'd get a patch or something.

linda22003
09-04-2009, 09:57 AM
The first week of school the gym teacher would jot down how many push-ups or pull-ups or whatever every kid could do and then we'd get tested again every couple of months. At the end of the year he'd put up a chart showing how much everybody had improved and we'd get certificates. If you improved a lot, you'd get a patch or something.

Ugh. I probably would have gotten a bullet.

Gingersnap
09-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Ugh. I probably would have gotten a bullet.

I was always one of the athletic kids so I don't know what happened with the non-athletic kids or the fat kids. This was before the "everybody's a winner" mindset invaded schools. The gym teacher probably humiliated them when the rest of us were outside running laps. :p

linda22003
09-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I definitely wasnt' a fat kid, just not into unnecessary movement or sweating; I'm the same way today. Physical effort was highly overrated, in my opinion. The teachers didn't humiliate us, just quickly moved on to the other kids. There wasn't time in gym class for kids like me, who took ten minutes to get three feet up a ten-foot rope.

Gingersnap
09-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I loved the rope climbing. :)

linda22003
09-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I loved the rope climbing. :)

Well, of course you did. I loved hanging upside down by my knees from the rings, because it gave me a funny feeling in my lower "tummy" that I didn't fully understand until years later. :p

Gingersnap
09-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Well, of course you did. I loved hanging upside down by my knees from the rings, because it gave me a funny feeling in my lower "tummy" that I didn't fully understand until years later. :p

Nah, I just liked climbing the rope. I pursued my "funny feeling" interests with Dave Woodman down in his parents' rec room. :p

Space Gravy
09-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Starting to cool off in the Mid-South as well.

TOTD: When I was a little one it was all Watergate all the time. I also remember LBJ's funeral.

linda22003
09-04-2009, 10:58 AM
TOTD: When I was a little one it was all Watergate all the time. I also remember LBJ's funeral.

In school?

Rockntractor
09-04-2009, 11:05 AM
In school?

My school was a little private church school, it had two class rooms 1-4 and 5-8. I Think maybe twice we watched TV but I don't remember the occasion. I do remember the projector and the films though. The more films the better!

Space Gravy
09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
In school?

Yes.

linda22003
09-04-2009, 11:07 AM
How much of a "little one" were you? What were you supposed to get out of the Watergate hearings?

RobJohnson
09-04-2009, 02:18 PM
What are rabbit ears & who is John Glen?

I must be ALOT younger then everyone here.

I'm headed to the airport shorty, it's time for another vacation. Have a good weekend.

linda22003
09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
What are rabbit ears & who is John Glen?

I must be ALOT younger then everyone here.

I'm headed to the airport shorty, it's time for another vacation. Have a good weekend.

Judging by your spelling, you probably are pretty young! :p

ralph wiggum
09-04-2009, 02:55 PM

I think he's pulling your chain.

RobJohnson
09-04-2009, 03:50 PM

I meant to go back and fix the missing "n" but hit <submit> too soon!

Linda, I hope you have a fun & safe weekend! :)

RobJohnson
09-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I think he's pulling your chain.

That sounds kinda hot. :p

BSR
09-04-2009, 04:00 PM
When I was in 4th grade we watched the Challenger blow up. At that moment I didn't want to be an astronaut anymore.

ralph wiggum
09-04-2009, 04:03 PM
That sounds kinda hot. :p

You pulling Linda's chain? :eek: :eek:

BSR
09-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I meant to go back and fix the missing "n" but hit <submit> too soon!

Linda, I hope you have a fun & safe weekend! :)

A lot is two words.. :cool:

jendf
09-04-2009, 04:38 PM
TOTD: I remember watching the OJ Simpson verdict being announced while in Mr. Grassi's history class. Must have been my sophomore or junior year. That's the same teacher who was fired a year later because he would drink while on duty.

Ah, public high school. Good times, good times. :D

Jumpy
09-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Is this weather BANGIN' or what? This has been the most comfortable summer ever. Could've been warmer to suit my tastes, but dang, I never even once needed to turn on the A/C.

TOTD:I went to a few different Mennonite/Church schools and mostly we had no tv in our homes, and especially not in school. I did attend public school for 4 years, prior to 9th grade,(after that it was back to church school) and I still do not remember any tv, or radio.

We went to a "rich" relatives house to watch the moon landing. Very very cool, but I was so young that I fell asleep through it.

Rockntractor
09-04-2009, 08:25 PM
When I was in 4th grade we watched the Challenger blow up. At that moment I didn't want to be an astronaut anymore.

There were components on challenger that I machined . I will never forget when they announced over the PA in the shop I was working in that it had blown up.