PDA

View Full Version : Bicyclists to ride nude through Philadelphia,phillynakedbikeride.org

megimoo
09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
"Here's your Big 'Coming Out' Chance Phillygirl !"

"Critical Mass(Gays Blades On Wheels) will no doubt be there !"

Most bicyclists prefer skintight attire (Spandex Bubba), but a group tomorrow is going to take it one step further. It's planning a mass ride in the nude.

Organizers said they expected at least 200 people in various states of undress to bike a four-mile course through Center City.

The route is being kept under wraps. It won't be divulged until Saturday night. And then, only cyclists who sign up at phillynakedbikeride.org will get the location of the gathering point by e-mail.

"It's kind of an experiment," said Clifford Greer, 30, the lead organizer. "It's really a totally amazing thing, and unlike any other organized ride event."

Naked bike rides, he said, have proliferated around the world in recent years.

The first official Naked Bike Ride started in 2004 when a group of artists in Canada and a group of nude cyclists in Spain organized simultaneous naked rides. Since then, masses of naked riders have pedaled through 87 cities in the Americas, Europe, and Australia. This is the first event in Philadelphia.

The Naked Bike Ride has many aims, said Greer, an audio-visual technician.

Reducing wind resistance isn't one of them.

"Nudity is only a tool of the Naked Bike Ride," he said. "We want to put a spotlight on the vulnerability of cyclists, and put the safety of cyclists into the minds of drivers and other users of the roads."

Secondary goals, Greer said, include bringing attention to fuel consumption and spreading the message of a positive body image.

Karen Skorochod, 37, first heard about the Philadelphia ride on Facebook. She said she planned to drive down from Wind Gap, north of Allentown, to take part.

"I don't make a practice of being naked in public," Skorochod said. "But the part of this that really appeals to me is the body acceptance in all this. People come in all shapes and sizes, and I hope they all come out."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090905_Bicyclists_to_ride_nude_through_Philadelp hia.html

Rockntractor
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Hopefully none of them are to old. Things can get caught in the chain!

megimoo
09-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Hopefully none of them are to old. Things can get caught in the chain!That's why old guys riding bikes wear spandex .To keep their dingus outa the chain !

Bubba Dawg
09-05-2009, 06:28 PM
That's why old guys riding bikes wear spandex .To keep their dingus outa the chain !

I resemble that remark. :p

AHeneen
09-07-2009, 01:27 AM
[deleted] never mind...