PDA

View Full Version : Sunday at the Movies...and the Bookstore

Bubba Dawg
09-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Cool and cloudy on The Mountain. We may get some rain.

On our last vacation we carried a bag full of DVD’s to watch during the hottest part of the day. On Edisto, in August, the heat and the humidity makes it uncomfortable enough to be outside from noon til about five that we planned some time each day for reading and watching movies. The unit had a decent flat-screened TV and a DVD player so we took some good movies to watch. We carried a lot more movies than we would have time to watch because it’s nice to have a choice depending on what mood we may be in.

I’m lucky that Miz Bubba loves action movies in addition to the romantic comedies she enjoys so we had lots to choose from.

We took all three Bourne movies and watched them in order. I love those movies.
We took Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou, and Raising Arizona. We watched a couple of those. We also carried Open Range and enjoyed watching it very much. I love that movie too.

Another movie that I really like and that not a lot of people have seen is The Duelists. Directed by Ridley Scott. It is based on a short story by Joseph Conrad who based his story loosely on a pair of actual duelists in the army of Napoleon. It is beautifully filmed and reportedly very accurate in its depiction of the dueling techniques of the time...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5149ZHCDVSL._SS500_.jpg

Set during the Napoleonic Wars, it features two French Hussar officers, Armand d'Hubert (Keith Carradine) and Gabriel Féraud (Harvey Keitel). A misunderstanding between them over an initially minor incident becomes a quarrel that turns into a bitter, long-drawn out feud over the following fifteen years, interwoven with the larger conflict that provides its backdrop. At the beginning, Féraud is the one who jealously guards his honor and repeatedly demands satisfaction anew when a duelling encounter ends inconclusively; he aggressively pursues every opportunity to locate and duel with his foe.
As the story progresses, d'Hubert also finds himself caught up in the contest. He is unable to refuse Féraud's repeated challenges to duel or to walk away because of the rigid code of honour. The feud persists through the different campaigns of the Napoleonic war, and on into the period of the Bourbon restoration which follows. When the story begins, both men are lieutenants, and over time both rise through the ranks to reach the rank of General….

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Duellists

The action is gritty and realistic. The movie is really well done. I’ve recommended it before but I like to mention it from time to time.

TOTD: Recommend a movie that you like.

I read The Family by Jeff Sharlet and a sci/fi novel Lord of Light by Roger Zelazney. Both these books were very good.

AlternateTOTD; Recommend a book that you like.

Rockntractor
09-06-2009, 12:40 AM
TOTD: Kingpin

FeebMaster
09-06-2009, 02:10 AM
The Duelists was great.

TOTD: for more swashbuckling fun: On Guard (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118756/)

AlternaTOTD: The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. Okay, that's three books, but they also contain swordplay and duels.

Teetop
09-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Any of the Lonesome Dove or Lord of the Rings.

The last ten years, I have really been stuck on westerns.

Bubba Dawg
09-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Good choices.

I haven't heard of the Baroque Cycle until you mentioned it. I'll check it out.

Bubba Dawg
09-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I like westerns. Any Louis Lamour story is a winner. Appaloosa was a good western novel that was made into a good movie. If you haven't seen it check it out.

Bubba Dawg
09-06-2009, 11:24 AM
The Duelists was great.

TOTD: for more swashbuckling fun: On Guard (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118756/)

AlternaTOTD: The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. Okay, that's three books, but they also contain swordplay and duels.

On Guard sounds good.

Bubba Dawg
09-06-2009, 11:26 AM
TOTD: Kingpin

I liked that one. National Lampoon's Vacation and Christmas Vacation are a lot of fun.

FeebMaster
09-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Good choices.

I haven't heard of the Baroque Cycle until you mentioned it. I'll check it out.

It's an immense beast. 3000+ pages of historical-ish fiction with Newton and Leibniz and the discovering of the Calculus as a backdrop piled high with Stephenson's great characters and dialog.

If you decide to read it, pick up Cryptonomicon first. It's one book, and most of the characters in it are descendants of the Baroque Cycle characters. It will get you used to Stephenson's style.

For that matter, I'd recommend any of Stephenson's books. He's easily one of my favorite authors.

Check this out: Pictures of the Baroque Cycle manuscript (http://www.nealstephenson.com/photos.htm).

On Guard sounds good.

It was great. I just stumbled across it one day. Talk about good luck.

Zathras
09-06-2009, 12:50 PM
TOTD: Well, in my opinion, you can't go too wrong with any movie made by Pixar. I've seen everyone they've made and have yet to be disapointed. My three favorites (four actually) are WALL-E, Ratatouille and, tied for 3rd, Cars and The Incredibles. All great movies and well worth the time.

BadCat
09-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't go to movies anymore, the price of the tickets is never worth it.

I just wait until NetFlix or HBO gets it and watch it then, and I can eat and drink anything I want.

RobJohnson
09-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm on vacation in Illinois/Iowa for a couple days. Other then the high humidity, the weather has been perfect..sleeping with the windows open.

My allergies went a little crazy yesterday, was able to catch up with alot of old "friends" and even seen an outdoor concert.

We thought the band's set was over, but they just had to pause to let a train go by.At that point I fully realized I was in the middle of BFE...my old hometown, of 1800 residents. It was the town's fall festival and was quite busy.

Radix
09-06-2009, 09:42 PM
The Duelists was great.

Trusting you on this Baroque Cycle book.

I have long been fascinated by Calculus and math in general. I just ordered the book, and by next week I will probably have it behind me. You will have my report.

Thanks for the tip.

FeebMaster
09-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Trusting you on this Baroque Cycle book.

I have long been fascinated by Calculus and math in general. I just ordered the book, and by next week I will probably have it behind me. You will have my report.

Thanks for the tip.

I'd definitely recommend Cryptonomicon first, both to get used to Stephenson's style and to get a little background (if I can use that word given that it takes place in the 20th century) on some of the characters' families.

Edit: Also the 20 page soliloquy on the proper way to eat cap'n crunch.

Damn it I have to reread it now.

Shannon
09-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I liked that one. National Lampoon's Vacation and Christmas Vacation are a lot of fun.

European Vacation was on the other day. That one was awful. I do love the other two though.

Shannon
09-06-2009, 10:08 PM
TOTD: Well, in my opinion, you can't go too wrong with any movie made by Pixar. I've seen everyone they've made and have yet to be disapointed. My three favorites (four actually) are WALL-E, Ratatouille and, tied for 3rd, Cars and The Incredibles. All great movies and well worth the time.

Toy Story will always be my favorite. I didn't really like WALL-E or Cars.

Zathras
09-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Toy Story will always be my favorite. I didn't really like WALL-E or Cars.

FYI...saw an ad on a bus yesterday. They're re-releasing Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D as a double feature on October 2nd for 2 weeks in theaters.

I loved WALL-E as it wasn't what I expected, a love story between 2 robots of all things. It also surprised me just how much emotion could be shown with just 2 blue lights on a black background.

Bubba Dawg
09-07-2009, 11:16 AM

I haven't seen the Incredibles but the other two are favorites.

MrsSmith
09-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Some of our favorite movies are the Sherwood ones...Fireproof, Facing the Giants, and Flywheel.

My youngest grandson loved Cars. He watched it so many times, our DVD actually wore out. :D