PDA

View Full Version : The hunt is on for more ammunition in Nevada, U.S.

megimoo
09-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Supply can't keep up with demand, a trend that began after election

With nationwide demand for firearm ammunition outstripping manufacturers' supply, empty shelves in Nevada gun stores have some consumers sweating bullets.

On delivery days at the Bass Pro Shop in the Silverton, 20 to 30 customers will line up for the store to open, said Keith Rainey, an assistant manager in the hunting department.

"They call us up every day to find out when the next load is coming in," Rainey said. "If you don't get there early, you don't get any bullets."

John Lowrie, a sales representative at Discount Firearms on Highland Drive, said it's the same in every store.

"We don't even stock to-go ammo on our shelves anymore. We get just enough to keep our range running," Lowrie said.

Lowrie said even the big retailers are hit-or-miss.

"If you go to Wal-Mart you've got two hours after they unload until they're basically cleaned out," he said.

The shortage applies to all calibers, but the hardest to stock has been for handguns, Rainey said.

Specifically, ammunition for your general "home protection" rounds.

"From the .380 up to the .45, those are the hardest to get," Rainey said. "Everybody in the world is looking for those."

A NOVEMBER TO REMEMBER

The scarcity of ammunition is part of a trend that began immediately after the presidential election, retailers say.

Gun enthusiasts, concerned with perceptions that Barack Obama and a Democrat-controlled Congress would increase gun control measures, began buying firearms and ammunition at an astounding rate.

Because sales rose so quickly, manufacturers struggled to meet the new demands, said Ted Novin, director of public affairs for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade association for the firearms and ammunition industries.

"I'm in daily contact with manufacturers, and they're all at full capacity," Novin said. In other words, as much supply as can be produced, they're producing it.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/57603387.html

Full-Auto
09-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Yup, it's crazy... I can't believe how long this has been going on. There's some SERIOUS hording going on out there.

I'm a reloader so it only causes me problems when I'm looking for things like primers... which are hard to find at times. I have enough components on hand to load about 5,000 rounds of ammo. I try to keep my stock at about that level.

Primers used to be $20 per 1000. Now they're $50 per 1000 if you can find them. Powder is hard to find and expensive now too... but I have a lot of that. Bullets have been easy to get though and the price is pretty steady.