PDA

View Full Version : Do you read your students text books?

djones520
09-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Watching a show right now on Fox analyzing the text books out there today. Showing just how biased they are towards certain inflammatory topics (LGBT, Islam, etc...). It made me wonder how many of us actually review our childrens text books to see what it is their learning.

My son won't be starting school for another 3 years, but I will be checking his books out from day one. With things like "And Tango Makes Three" being forced on 2nd Graders, I'm just not gonna take any chances.

Edit: Mistyped the title. Supposed to read "childrens text books"

stsinner
09-07-2009, 02:47 AM
I check my son's homework every night, and he's around us with a radio playing enough to know where we stand on politics.. At 12 he will usually engage us in conversation by asking for clarification of what the radio host is talking about or what's happening in the news.. I don't read his textbooks, but I do read his answers and check for bias there..

linda22003
09-07-2009, 06:10 AM
how many of us actually review our childrens text books to see what it is their learning.

I can think of one thing I hope is being covered in class... :cool:

djones520
09-07-2009, 06:22 AM
I can think of one thing I hope is being covered in class... :cool:

Has anyone ever told you that's real fucking annoying?

linda22003
09-07-2009, 06:24 AM
I know! If people would get it right, everything would go MUCH more smoothly!

Lars1701a
09-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I know! If people would get it right, everything would go MUCH more smoothly!

When it comes to grammar and whatnot, how about minding your own business for 1 full week? I bet you cant do it.

linda22003
09-07-2009, 08:49 AM
When it comes to grammar and whatnot, how about minding your own business for 1 full week? I bet you cant do it.

I bet you're absolutely right. :)

FeebMaster
09-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Hell, I tried to read mine as little as possible. Once I got to college, I returned some of them to the book store still in their wrappers.

That's how I became the balanced individual that I am.

Lars1701a
09-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Hell, I tried to read mine as little as possible. Once I got to college, I returned some of them to the book store still in their wrappers.

That's how I became the balanced individual that I am.

You should have smoked a little less pot and read a bit more, that might have helped. :rolleyes:

Suit&Tie
09-07-2009, 10:55 AM

What a badass.

Gingersnap
09-07-2009, 11:13 AM
When I tutor, I always read whatever textbooks/workbooks the kid has been using in math or science. I've had some beverage-through-the-nostrils, laugh out loud moments with them. It always makes me wonder what bloopers I unknowingly accepted as a kid.

Parents would be horrified at some of the flat-out errors there are in math texts.

I don't have kids and I never tutor outside math/science/Latin so I don't know what's going on there. If they can get simple formulas and functions wrong, I can only imagine what the editors can do with history or politics.

FeebMaster
09-07-2009, 11:15 AM
You should have smoked a little less pot and read a bit more, that might have helped. :rolleyes:

I've never smoked pot. I should have just not bought the books in the first place and saved some money. Oh well, live and learn.

Suit&Tie
09-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Books are evil! Reading is a liberal plot to force our children to hate freedom!

You guys are so fucking stupid sometimes it blows my mind.

Bubba Dawg
09-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Books are evil! Reading is a liberal plot to force our children to hate freedom!

Happy Labor Day Blinky.

We've got nothing against reading. The question is whether the prof tests from the lectures or the textbook. Different profs are different ways, but most use the same teaching notes from year to year no matter what the textbook edition may be.

Now if the prof wrote the textbook for the class, read it.

MrsSmith
09-07-2009, 03:57 PM

With a whole total of 2 cells running around up there, it must be a very minor explosion. :eek::D

MrsSmith
09-07-2009, 04:03 PM
When I tutor, I always read whatever textbooks/workbooks the kid has been using in math or science. I've had some beverage-through-the-nostrils, laugh out loud moments with them. It always makes me wonder what bloopers I unknowingly accepted as a kid.

Parents would be horrified at some of the flat-out errors there are in math texts.

I don't have kids and I never tutor outside math/science/Latin so I don't know what's going on there. If they can get simple formulas and functions wrong, I can only imagine what the editors can do with history or politics.

I haven't read many of my kids' books...for some weird reason, teachers won't send them home often. :eek: However, my class in college caught several mistakes in our college math and physics books. That really ticked my instructor off...because he'd spent hours trying to come up with the answer and then we proved the answer was wrong. :D

Now, my kid sometimes reads her textbooks to me...the other day, she read me the section on global warming. (yes, it's so far out of date, they still called it "warming," not "climate change.") We had a quick discussion on drought, using the Bible as history; and on the viewpoint of those that believe the world has been around for billions and billions of years yet still believe we can destroy it. :D Oh, and what C02 does in the environment...her last comment, "But, Mom, if plants use C02, wouldn't it be good for them?" Yep, she's a smart kid. :)

linda22003
09-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I haven't read many of my kids' books...for some weird reason, teachers won't send them home often.

We used to have to bring them home to do the reading we had to do for homework. They don't get homework?

MrsSmith
09-07-2009, 04:23 PM
We used to have to bring them home to do the reading we had to do for homework. They don't get homework?
My daughter frequently brings home worksheets, mostly in English (spelling), and in math. Textbooks are seldom allowed out of the classroom. She does have her World Geography book home this weekend, the teacher now checks them out the same way the library does, I guess. I presume the schools don't buy enough for all the students, but rather buy enough for one class full. The kids shelve the books at the end of the hour, and the next bunch use the same books. (This is one reason my kid is taking hand sanitizer to school with her.)

Gingersnap
09-07-2009, 08:38 PM

You don't have kids! (Neither do I but I expect I interact with them more.) :D

Textbooks don't go home as often as they did 10 years ago. Many assignments are done online and a lot of required reading is also done online. Kids take home workbooks, worksheets, and related teacher-generated paper. ;)

Constitutionally Speaking
09-07-2009, 08:44 PM

That is a GREAT example of liberal "reasoning".

We criticize books that give false information - and you say we are stupid for doing so???? My oh my.

I would THINK we ALL would want accurate textbooks.

djones520
09-08-2009, 12:30 AM
That is a GREAT example of liberal "reasoning".

We criticize books that give false information - and you say we are stupid for doing so???? My oh my.

I would THINK we ALL would want accurate textbooks.

Nope. People like him want text books that spend more time teaching our children about the Mexican Thanksgiving Day then our own. :rolleyes:

linda22003
09-08-2009, 08:00 AM
You don't have kids! (Neither do I but I expect I interact with them more.) :D

Textbooks don't go home as often as they did 10 years ago. Many assignments are done online and a lot of required reading is also done online. Kids take home workbooks, worksheets, and related teacher-generated paper. ;)

How bizarre. Next, you're going to tell me that kids today wouldn't even recognize the sweet smell of mimeographs.

noonwitch
09-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't have kids, and I don't get the opportunity to see current textbooks often, although I will assist the teenagers I work with in writing reports and reading Shakespeare.

I remember the books from my years in school (1969-1982). In elementary school, we started with Dick and Jane, but they bought all new textbooks when I was in 3rd grade. At that point, the reading books had names like "Panorama", "Fiesta", "Serendipity", etc. I could read at a higher level than the one I usually was reading in any given grade, and I was always in the highest reading group.

Our history books in high school were way outdated. The american history book ended with 1968-the assassinations of MLK and RFK, and the election of Richard Nixon. Schools should probably buy new history texts every ten years, or a supplement for the old ones that covers the last decade or so.