PDA

View Full Version : Substitute Monday thread

linda22003
09-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Rebel Yell asked me to post for him today, since he's off "gallivanting" somewhere.

Weather: Continues to be spectacular in the DC area. We haven't used A/C in over a week and that will be true this week, too.

TOTD: "Labor Day" - aside from the always-welcome three day weekend, is it an outdated concept?

Crystal Wizard
09-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Rebel Yell asked me to post for him today, since he's off "gallivanting" somewhere.

Weather: Continues to be spectacular in the DC area. We haven't used A/C in over a week and that will be true this week, too.

TOTD: "Labor Day" - aside from the always-welcome three day weekend, is it an outdated concept?

Weather here in Niagra Falls has been spectacular all weekend. Our room, in the Hilton on the Canadian side, has a wonderful view of the falls and we've been out every day, walking a lot and exploring the area, including the boat ride into the mists of Horseshoe Falls. Heading back today. :mad:

TOTD: The concept is probably outdated, although the Europeans certainly don't think that way about May Day. The British have a Bank Holiday on the last Monday in August, so perhaps we could adopt that convention.

Gingersnap
09-07-2009, 10:36 AM
We're having outstanding late summer weather here. Warm during the day (not hot) and cooling off nicely by dusk (which regrettably getting earlier).

TOTD: It's completely outdated. I like the holiday concept, of course, but honoring "labor" today is kind of strange. Drop the workers versus management theme and just make it Work Holiday. Almost everybody either works or has worked. Entry-level people who don't think management and owners work harder than most people just don't know what's going on.

Teetop
09-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Nice cool afternoon, thunderstorms building as I type.

TOTD; Outdated? Nope. Everyone needs a break from time to time. I took the weekend off, but worked today.

PoliCon
09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice cool afternoon, thunderstorms building as I type.

TOTD; Outdated? Nope. Everyone needs a break from time to time. I took the weekend off, but worked today.

Given that it's mainly unions who reap the benefit of the holiday - YES. Anyone who's ever worked food service or retail has had to work on days like today - without the benefit of overtime pay to boot!:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I worked all day. Thats how I celebrate!

Shannon
09-07-2009, 10:59 PM
I spent half the day in the office. I almost want a manual labor type job.