PDA

View Full Version : Artists fall out, police involved, normal people laugh

bijou
09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
How much is a box of pencils worth? Fifty pence? 3.99 if the pencils have rubbers on the ends? Well, if they're part of a Damien Hirst art installation, the value is 500,000. That is what 17-year-old graffiti artist Cartrain discovered when he pilfered some pencils from Hirst's sculpture Pharmacy. And that wasn't all he was arrested, released on bail, and is waiting to find out if he will be formally charged with causing damage to an iconic artwork worth 10m.

When Cartrain walked into Tate Britain and made off with a few HBs in July, he believed it was a harmless game of tit-for-tat as part of an ongoing feud. He originally locked horns with the millionaire artist last year, when he used an image of Hirst's famous diamond-encrusted skull, For the Love of God, to create collages that were put up for sale on an art website.

Hirst reported him to the Design and Artists Copyright Society and a string of legal letters were sent to Cartrain's art dealer, Tom Cuthbert, at 100artworks.com, about the teenager's pieces, also called For the Love of God. The online gallery surrendered them to Hirst with a verbal apology.
Related articles

Taking revenge, Cartrain took the box of pencils that were part of Hirst's sculpture, Pharmacy, which was being shown as part of its Classified exhibition that closed at the end of last month.

He then created a "wanted"-style poster that read: "For the safe return of Damien Hirst's pencils I would like my artworks back that DACS and Hirst took off me in November. It's not a large demand... Hirst has until the end of this month to resolve this or on 31 July the pencils will be sharpened. He has been warned."...

link (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/damien-hirst-in-vicious-feud-with-teenage-artist-over-a-box-of-pencils-1781463.html)

The ransom demand was funny. :D

Gingersnap
09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
The artist who valued the pencils at $500,000 (or whatever) can absolutely sue the thief for that amount if he can identify his personal "art" pencils in a lot of 20 "off-the-shelf" pencil packs that are on a table.

If he can do this within 60 seconds, he wins. Because super smart people can easily recognize their own "art", right? :D