PDA

View Full Version : The Underwear Index And Other Signs You’re Going Broke

megimoo
09-07-2009, 01:13 PM
" We call it the 'Skivvy Index'."

The Washington Post recently hypothesized that you can gage the state of the economy by the state of men’s underwear drawers. That’s because we’re supposed to assume that men will purchase underwear at a relative steady and stable rate.

The theory, as quoted in the Post article: “Sales of men's underwear typically are stable because they rank as a necessity.

But during times of severe financial strain, men will try to stretch the time between buying new pairs, causing underwear sales to dip.”

So apparently we are to believe that we got into this recession at the consumer level because...

http://townhall.com/columnists/RachelMarsden/2009/09/07/the_underwear_index_and_other_signs_you%E2%80%99re _going_broke

Gingersnap
09-07-2009, 08:46 PM
If this doesn't belong in the Lounge, I don't know what would. :p

Jumpy
09-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Men (and probably women too) buy new underwear when they are having affairs... so maybe men are cheating less often. Maybe it has nothing at all to do with the economy.

BadCat
09-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Who said underwear was a necessity?

Gingersnap
09-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Men (and probably women too) buy new underwear when they are having affairs... so maybe men are cheating less often. Maybe it has nothing at all to do with the economy.

Is this the voice of experience? :p

Rockntractor
09-07-2009, 09:03 PM

You will get your pecker in your zipper!

PoliCon
09-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Everyone who isn't either a dirty hippy or a low class redneck that's who. :rolleyes:

megimoo
09-07-2009, 09:14 PM
If this doesn't belong in the Lounge, I don't know what would. :pYou decide,I've given up.The necessary finesse is beyond me!

Gingersnap
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
You decide,I've given up.The necessary finesse is beyond me!

Don't worry Moo. I'm the only one on this Board who speaks Moo-ese but I am fluent and I consider it an honor to translate for the less fortunate. ;)

Zathras
09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
You will get your pecker in your zipper!

Been "going commando" for quite a while now and haven't had that problem at all. Just need to be careful. :D

Rockntractor
09-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Been "going commando" for quite a while now and haven't had that problem at all. Just need to be careful. :D

There is always that one time!

Zathras
09-08-2009, 01:54 AM

Hasn't happened yet and won't if I have any thing to say about it.

djones520
09-08-2009, 03:12 AM

Aye... that there is. And it ended my "commando" days.

linda22003
09-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Don't worry Moo. I'm the only one on this Board who speaks Moo-ese but I am fluent and I consider it an honor to translate for the less fortunate. ;)

That can't be a skill that's much in demand on the open market.

Gingersnap
09-08-2009, 11:36 AM
That can't be a skill that's much in demand on the open market.

You'd be surprised. :p

megimoo
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Don't worry Moo. I'm the only one on this Board who speaks Moo-ese but I am fluent and I consider it an honor to translate for the less fortunate. ;)Always my pleasure madam !

noonwitch
09-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Underwear is cheap, I don't understand not replacing it on a regular basis.

Then again, when we moved to Grand Rapids and started living among the cheap hollanders, we learned that the dutch will buy underwear at garage sales. I am not kidding.

Gingersnap
09-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Underwear is cheap, I don't understand not replacing it on a regular basis.

Then again, when we moved to Grand Rapids and started living among the cheap hollanders, we learned that the dutch will buy underwear at garage sales. I am not kidding.

Mr. Snaps has the classic guy attitude about this. If three molecules are still bonding enough to support the waistband, he's good. If my underwear even looks like I ever used it, it's gone.

I would face jail time before I even touched used underwear.

Shannon
09-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I would face jail time before I even touched used underwear.

Right? It's not like underwear has to be expensive. Used underwear, wth?

Gingersnap
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Right? It's not like underwear has to be expensive. Used underwear, wth?

Used underwear. The entire concept is Satanic.

megimoo
09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Hasn't happened yet and won't if I have any thing to say about it.
It's nothing .Just a stab of excruciating pain, a few tears, a little blood and suddenly you're kosher and the IDF wants you !

Jumpy
09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Is this the voice of experience? :p

haha... no, I read it somewhere. Cosmopolitan, years ago. Or maybe it was Ann Landers. I can't remember. :p

Jumpy
09-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Used underwear. The entire concept is Satanic.

This will FREAK you out, but my mom bought me and my sisters underwear at Goodwill, when we were kids/teenagers. All 5 of us, my mom and my 4 sisters, were close enough to being the same size, so mom had a "common dresser" out in the hallway, and that held a sock drawer, an underwear drawer, and I forget what else. This lasted until we were old enough to hold jobs, and we bought most of our own clothing. Age 13-14 or so. I probably used the communal underwear and sock drawer longer than my sisters, because it just didn't bother me. It was always clean and everything looked brand new enough. :eek: My sisters and I still laugh about the old days. ha!

linda22003
09-09-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm just trying to imagine the nightmares Ginger had after reading that post at bedtime.

Gingersnap
09-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm just trying to imagine the nightmares Ginger had after reading that post at bedtime.

Luckily, I read it this morning.

*shudders*

AlmostThere
09-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Maybe it's that 09-09-09 thing. We're always told to change in case we wind up in the hospital. Well, hell, if the world is ending, ain't nobody gonna be around to see anyway. :D

Just sayin.