PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama: Let Them Buy Earrings!

Gingersnap
07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Michelle Obama's $600 Earrings

by Amanda Carpenter

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama’s wife, Michelle, complained the government’s $600 economic stimulus check was only enough to buy “a pair of earrings” while stumping for her husband.

“You're getting $600 - what can you do with that?” Mrs. Obama said in Pontiac, Michigan last week. “Not to be ungrateful or anything, but maybe it pays down a bill, but it doesn't pay down every bill every month. The short-term quick fix kinda stuff sounds good, and it may even feel good that first month when you get that check, and then you go out and you buy a pair of earrings."

She made these remarks at a “working women’s roundtable discussion.”

You just couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. :rolleyes:

Townhall (http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/AmandaCarpenter/2008/07/15/michelle_obamas_$600_earrings)

Phillygirl
07-15-2008, 02:09 PM
My God. Granted, I'm not a big jewelry person (I'm too irresponsible with jewelry and tend to lose one of every set of earrings I own, if not both), but I have less than a handful of earrings that cost that much.

Shannon
07-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Holy unbelievable ridiculousness!

linda22003
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Okay, so it sounded about right to me, but people who got all $600 probably were at an income level where they needed it to pay bills.

ConJinx
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I owed, so I dint gets no chex Ma Bama.Elitist twit still isn't proud to live in a country that makes $600 earrings.

LibraryLady
07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I owed, so I dint gets no chex Ma Bama.Elitist twit still isn't proud to live in a country that makes $600 earrings.

me too. My Mom was talking about her check being in the bank and I said "You're supposed to spend it!" but she hasn't decided what to buy yet....

linda22003
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
If she wants it in the bank, it should stay in the bank. This country got into the mess it's in by drunken-sailor spending, and all the administration could think of to do was to encourage more of it. :mad:

That being said, I'm surprised that people here think $600 is a lot for earrings. Have you seen what gold costs per ounce these days?

ConJinx
07-15-2008, 03:34 PM
If I don't have the money for it, I generally don't look at it. And I never have the money for it.

Goldwater
07-15-2008, 03:40 PM
I look fabulous in earrings.

Zeus
07-15-2008, 03:41 PM
$600 is downtown Bling. Uptown Bling goin' to run a a lil more.

LibraryLady
07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
We were able to get beautiful jewelry when we lived in the Middle East. The gold souks were amazing
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/gold1.jpg
She felt guilty when she had the stuff re-appraised recently.

I imagine she will use it on travel. She wants to cruise from Charleston to (I think it's Florida).

linda22003
07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
She felt guilty when she had the stuff re-appraised recently.

Guilty? Why?

LibraryLady
07-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Cause we got it for a song and she was one of the best "negotiators" ever. You never pay the tag price there, you make a ridiculous offer, they act shocked, you walk down the alley, they come after you, you have a coffee and then pay something more in line.

linda22003
07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
That's the way the game is played. If her price had not been acceptable, they wouldn't have accepted it. Are you saying she feels guilty because she got things "too cheaply"? I don't even understand that.

That being said, I'm a terrible negotiator, and I'm happy to step aside and let my husband do it. I think it's from an upbringing that taught me it wasn't polite to talk about money so openly. My husband says, "Honey, you're a nice girl, but the problem is that you were raised to pay retail." :p

LibraryLady
07-15-2008, 04:13 PM
That's the way the game is played. If her price had not been acceptable, they wouldn't have accepted it. Are you saying she feels guilty because she got things "too cheaply"? I don't even understand that.

Oh, she knows that. I think she just feels that if any other crazy American had come along they would have made a lot more. She still has close ties to our friends from Beirut.We were all ready to go back when 9/11 happened.

I have seen her bargain in Belks and Dillards. She is a character.

Shannon
07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Okay, so it sounded about right to me, but people who got all $600 probably were at an income level where they needed it to pay bills.

No, they were supposed to eat cake...er, I mean buy earrings.

LogansPapa
07-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I believe the real point she was making is that this is a last-ditch half-assed effort by a lame-duck president that wants to look even half way legitimate upon his departure from the Oval Office. The Emperor indeed has no clothes and this is just a silly shell game - using our own money. I'm glad I'm not getting a check - as it would just piss me off about this silly man’s deception - yet another time.

LibraryLady
07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Botox lady seems to have liked it

Democrats Are Weighing More Tax Rebates, Pelosi Says (Update2) (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a5P_x5HfhQA0&refer=worldwide)

By Laura Litvan

July 15 (Bloomberg) -- House Democrats, concerned that rising energy prices will erase the benefit of the tax rebates sent to more than 100 million households this year, said they are weighing plans for a second economic stimulus proposal.

``We will be proceeding with another stimulus package, and we once again hope we will work in a bipartisan way,'' House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said after House Democratic leaders met with a group of economists to discuss the spreading housing crisis and rising gas prices.

Elspeth
07-15-2008, 06:33 PM
That being said, I'm surprised that people here think $600 is a lot for earrings. Have you seen what gold costs per ounce these days?

I WANT YOUR SALARY, WOMAN!

Holy shit! The day I spend $600 on a pair of earrings is the day I win the lottery, and even then, I wouldn't spend $600 on a pair of earrings. I don't care if they ARE gold. I'd rather put that money towards my health insurance, tires for my car, books, gas....

Elspeth
07-15-2008, 06:35 PM
T My husband says, "Honey, you're a nice girl, but the problem is that you were raised to pay retail." :p

I also want your husband.;)

LibraryLady
07-15-2008, 06:39 PM

Ask her what they give as Christmas gifts; I think you'll be touched.

Molon Labe
07-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Just another elitist slip up.

Elspeth
07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Ask her what they give as Christmas gifts; I think you'll be touched.

OK, I'll bite. :)

Zathras
07-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Haven't cashed my $600 check yet, saving it for when I go to the Northern California Renaissance Faire (http://norcalrenfaire.com/).

jeskibuff
07-15-2008, 08:47 PM
this is a last-ditch half-assed effort by a lame-duck president that wants to look even half way legitimate upon his departure from the Oval Office. The Emperor indeed has no clothes and this is just a silly shell game - using our own money. I'm glad I'm not getting a check - as it would just piss me off about this silly man’s deceptionRunning this through my Liberal-to-English translator yields the following:

I hate Bush so much. I hate him hate him hate him.

I hate him so much, I'm not going to let him trick me into giving back my own money. I'm way too smart to let that happen.

He can keep my tax dollars because he wants to give them back to me and because I hate him so much, it will really really hurt him to keep my money.

See how incredible my logic is??
http://www.MoreThanUltimate.com/Emoticons/rofl.gif

linda22003
07-16-2008, 08:15 AM
I WANT YOUR SALARY, WOMAN!

Well, yes, you might, at that. I've been fortunate, as well as skilled. :p

Holy shit! The day I spend $600 on a pair of earrings is the day I win the lottery, and even then, I wouldn't spend $600 on a pair of earrings. I don't care if they ARE gold. I'd rather put that money towards my health insurance, tires for my car, books, gas....

I wouldn't necessarily spend it on earrings, either. I'm not that crazy about them. I have a few pair of gold clips, and how many do you need? I don't have (and never will have) pierced ears, and it's increasingly difficult to even FIND clips.

linda22003
07-16-2008, 08:16 AM

I'll pass that along to him. ;)

linda22003
07-16-2008, 08:19 AM
OK, I'll bite. :)

I think LL might be referring to our gifts to friends at Christmas; we don't really need "things", so along with a few trinkets (CDs, things like that) we donate to "Smile Train" in $250 increments, since that pays for a child's cleft palate surgery. As I told LL, we tell our friends that they "fixed a kid", and if they need anything more than a child needs a repaired face, we'll get it for them. So far, no takers on that. :p

It's an organization I highly recommend. http://www.smiletrain.org/site/PageServer

SaintLouieWoman
07-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Running this through my Liberal-to-English translator yields the following:

http://www.MoreThanUltimate.com/Emoticons/rofl.gif

Jeskibuff, your lib to English translator is priceless. :D

BTW, they ought to keep Michelle Obama hidden til after the election. She just can't help but reveal her elitist attitude, her "let them eat cake" mentality.