PDA

View Full Version : McCurry finally defeats McDonald's in McPointlessLegalBattle

bijou
09-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Fast food giant McDonald's finally lost its eight-year trademark battle against a Malaysian curry restaurant on Tuesday, after the country's highest court ruled that the curry house was allowed to use the prefix 'Mc' in its name.

Malaysia's Federal Court dismissed an application by McDonald's Corporation to appeal against an earlier Appeals Court judgment which allowed McCurry to use the prefix.

Chief Judge of Malaya Ariffin Zakaria, reading the verdict of the three-person Federal Court in the administrative capital, said McDonald's had failed to properly frame its questions when applying to challenge the Appeals Court's earlier verdict.

'It is unfortunate that we have to dismiss the application with costs,' Ariffin said.

McCurry, which is short for 'Malaysian Chicken Curry', serves Malaysian staples including fish head curry, according to the company website at www.mccurryrecipe.com.

'We feel great that this eight-year legal battle is finally over, and we can now go ahead with whatever we plan to do such as opening new branches,' McCurry owner P. Suppiah told Reuters after the court decision. ... link (http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?McCurry_finally_defeats_McDonalds_in_ McPointlessLegalBattle&in_article_id=732944&in_page_id=2)
Curry lovers celebrate.
*McBijou*

Gingersnap
09-08-2009, 11:34 AM
This is terrible! I hate it when I order fish head curry and then find out it isn't genuine McDonalds fish head curry. :mad:

noonwitch
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking of John Amos' character in Coming To America, with his McDowell's restaurant, featuring the "golden arch" and the "Big Mic".