PDA

View Full Version : Stanford Researchers Transform Fat Cells into Stem Cells

FlaGator
09-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Though the scientists say itís too soon to use excess fat to cure diseases, it could, in theory, allow people to grow personalized replacement parts for ailing organs as many stem cell researchers are seeking to do.

"Imagine if we could isolate fat cells from a patient with some type of congenital cardiac disease," said cardiologist Joseph Wu, senior author of the paper published in Monday's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"We could then differentiate them into cardiac cells, study how they respond to different drugs or stimuli and see how they compare to normal cells. This would be a great advance," he reported, according to the Stanford University Medical Center.

Furthermore, because the "induced pluripotent stem cells" donít come from embryos, their utilization would sidestep the controversy that surrounds embryonic stem cell research, which requires the destruction of human embryos.

"There's an abundance of fat cells in this country," Wu told the San Jose Mercury News.

Nice story. Read it all here (http://www.christianpost.com/article/20090908/stanford-researchers-transform-fat-cells-into-stem-cells/index.html)

noonwitch
09-08-2009, 03:46 PM
They'll probably start paying donors right about the time I reach my weight-loss goal.

Elspeth
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
They'll probably start paying donors right about the time I reach my weight-loss goal.

My ass could save somebody!:D

Rockntractor
09-08-2009, 11:19 PM
My ass could save somebody!:D

I could donate my moobs!

stsinner
09-08-2009, 11:38 PM
You mean to tell me that I'm one giant walking stem cell? Ive never felt so useful!!

And rockn'-that was funny as hell!!

Shannon
09-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Ive never felt so useful!!

I just can't imagine that.

stsinner
09-09-2009, 12:00 AM
I just can't imagine that.

Oh now you're just hurting feelings for the sake of hurting feelings...

FlaGator
09-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Do you people realize just how many unnecessary Liposuctions this may cause? We should be out picketing in front of dermatological offices across the nation.

noonwitch
09-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Do you people realize just how many unnecessary Liposuctions this may cause? We should be out picketing in front of dermatological offices across the nation.

If you live in Florida, you will appreciate eventually how much better everyone will be looking at the beach!

Lars1701a
09-09-2009, 09:33 AM
They could extract enough stem cells from my ex-wifes ass to cure cancer. :D