PDA

View Full Version : What System Should I buy?

Gingersnap
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm about ready to scrap my ancient home PC. Here's what a new system should do:

Run common software such as Excel, WordPerfect, and SPSS;

Connect to the Internet;

Support a wireless laptop in addition to a workstation.

Seriously, that's it. What's my best buy in terms of user-compatibility, price, and longevity? I have no interest in viewing movies or doing high-level gaming. I have no interest in photo manipulation, editing, music downloads, or video. I have a high interest in security features. I'm guessing anything will be speedier than what I've got now in terms of hardware (I have DSL).

So, what should I get? PC? Mac? What features? What model?

stsinner
09-08-2009, 06:06 PM
My only advice would be to stick with Intel, but definitely stay away from Celeron if they still sell them.. They have a reduced instruction set, so a Celeron at double the speed of a Pentium will still have trouble keeping up with the Pentium.

Check this out for $215:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Dell-GX620-2.8Ghz-1G-80GB-USDT-PC-Refurbished/4120728/product.html

I love Overstock.com

megimoo
09-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm about ready to scrap my ancient home PC. Here's what a new system should do:

Connect to the Internet;

Seriously, that's it. What's my best buy in terms of user-compatibility, price, and longevity? I have no interest in viewing movies or doing high-level gaming. I have no interest in photo manipulation, editing, music downloads, or video. I have a high interest in security features. I'm guessing anything will be speedier than what I've got now in terms of hardware (I have DLS).

DLS ?

Gingersnap
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
DLS ?

I had a brief dyslexic moment. You know what I mean.:D

megimoo
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I had a brief dyslexic moment. You know what I mean.:D
That was my first thought but I convinced myself that was impossible .

My advice is to buy a Dell or a real HP but not a HP/Compaq !
They're on sale .

Take the large free disk upgrade and a big flat screen monitor, a laser mouse and high end keyboard.They are desperate to sell PC's Now, the prices are low Shop around..PS don''t buy the extended service plan .That's bull shit and you will never use it.
http://www.dell.com/home/desktops
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=computer_store&landing=desktops&aoid=8305&kw=hp%20desktop&tafcjnef=fy09&ppc=CCp25723042

SarasotaRepub
09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Whatever you buy just get as much RAM as the OS will support. :)

megimoo
09-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Whatever you buy just get as much RAM as the OS will support. :)

Generally the larger the 'Working Set 'the better.(WS is The size of the Physical memory block assigned to a running process in the Windows Operating System ).

When you have more that one process or window open the OS assigns a piece of virtual memory to that process.It really depends on what you use your computer for .Normal day to day internet use or honking on CU takes a minimal working set .Compiling and linking a large C++ program or running a large sort program demands a more memory.
One trick to use for a very large ++ simulation program is to break them into smaller subroutines and compile them as developed and link and dynamically load them at run time .
If you have many windows open (Processes) you will sometimes receive a virtual memory exhausted message .This is to indicate that the system has allocated all of the physical memory available and will start page faulting !Some processes use a dynamic memory allocation routine that may expand as the datum grows larger. Page faulting starts when a process demands a large Page (Block)of memory as an working set and isn't allocated the full set .The OS page faults and starts to rob Peter to pay Paul which slows things way down .

Most 32 bit PC's will not address more than 4 Gb .Both Windows 2000 and XP 32 bit operating systems can support 4 Gb of RAM, in theory, but in practice many builders have found that the practical limit used by the OS is between 2.5 to 3 GB .

Rockntractor
09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
I have built over 50 computers in the last 8 years it is easy and I know you could handle it. if you absolutely have to have a name brand one Dell backs their products better than anyone I have dealt with.

megimoo
09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
I have built over 50 computers in the last 8 years it is easy and I know you could handle it. if you absolutely have to have a name brand one Dell backs their products better than anyone I have dealt with.You are amazing .You move rock around ,build walls and landscape for a living and yet you have the brains to build a complex system in your spare time.Next we will learn that have cloned a new species of Goat from some spare genetic material you had laying around .

megimoo
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Connect to the Internet;

Seriously, that's it. What's my best buy in terms of user-compatibility, price, and longevity? I have no interest in viewing movies or doing high-level gaming. I have no interest in photo manipulation, editing, music downloads, or video. I have a high interest in security features. I'm guessing anything will be speedier than what I've got now in terms of hardware (I have DSL).

PS make sure that the new 'box' is an sixty four bit machine and stick with Windows XP if they try and stiff you with the new one.You will have far fewer problems staying away from The O.S. of the year club that Microsoft want's to run .

Rockntractor
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
You are amazing .You move rock around ,build walls and landscape for a living and yet you have the brains to build a complex system in your spare time.Next we will learn that have cloned a new species of Goat from some spare genetic material you had laying around .

I was a machinist/toolmaker for many years and building computers and selling cameras was a home bussiness I had. I built all the computers for a chain of optical stores in tulsa. As well as some of my camera customers. When I got out of machining I was tired of working inside and had a lot of equipment accumulated from maintaining our place in the country, Tat is why iI ent into tractor work and lancaping. I also build barns and garadges. Jack of all trades master of none!

megimoo
09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I was a machinist/toolmaker for many years and building computers and selling cameras was a home bussiness I had. I built all the computers for a chain of optical stores in tulsa. As well as some of my camera customers. When I got out of machining I was tired of working inside and had a lot of equipment accumulated from maintaining our place in the country, Tat is why iI ent into tractor work and lancaping. I also build barns and garadges. Jack of all trades master of none!How about the goats ?

Rockntractor
09-08-2009, 08:52 PM
How about the goats ?

No genetic engineering but I did used to raise show sheep.

megimoo
09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
No genetic engineering but I did used to raise show sheep.What other critters do you raise ?

Rockntractor
09-08-2009, 09:06 PM
What other critters do you raise ?

Just sheep and goats now but I used to have ducks ,geese, pigeons, chickens quail, pheasants, rabbits, donkeys, quail. I'm thinking about llamas but I need to taste one first.

Gingersnap
09-08-2009, 09:10 PM
I have built over 50 computers in the last 8 years it is easy and I know you could handle it. if you absolutely have to have a name brand one Dell backs their products better than anyone I have dealt with.

I don't need a "name" anything. I just want a fast, cheap, reliable system that will support ordinary software and a wireless router with high-end security features. :)

Bubba Dawg
09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I was a machinist/toolmaker for many years and building computers and selling cameras was a home bussiness I had. I built all the computers for a chain of optical stores in tulsa. As well as some of my camera customers. When I got out of machining I was tired of working inside and had a lot of equipment accumulated from maintaining our place in the country, Tat is why iI ent into tractor work and lancaping. I also build barns and garadges. Jack of all trades master of none!

And you can leap tall buildings in a single bound. :D

Bubba Dawg
09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't need a "name" anything. I just want a fast, cheap, reliable system that will support ordinary software and a wireless router with high-end security features. :)

And speakers so you can tune in the Jukeboxes.

Rockntractor
09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
And you can leap tall buildings in a single bound. :D

The one thing I've never learned is how to make a lot of money!

Bubba Dawg
09-08-2009, 09:18 PM
The one thing I've never learned is how to make a lot of money!

Gonna do a Jukebox, just for you.......

FlaGator
09-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Connect to the Internet;

I just bought a Compaq Presario for a friend for $349.00 at Office Depot. 2gigs of memory. 160 gig hard disk, 15.8 inch screen. Wireless internet.

BadCat
09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I just bought a Compaq Presario for a friend for $349.00 at Office Depot. 2gigs of memory. 160 gig hard disk, 15.8 inch screen. Wireless internet.

I get a lot of computers from these guys...

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Because you can have them custom built. Click on "Configurators" in the "menu" bar.

Rockntractor
09-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Check this shuttle out. It is a barbones you add cpu, memory, hardrive and cd /dvd drive. The you buy an oem copy of windows and load it up. I've built a couple of these they are great for beginner builders and are an excellent design. They are a little bigger than a shoe box.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101039

Loogie
09-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey Ginger, we bought a new computer late last year and have been quite happy with it.

It is a Dell Inspiron 5xx (I can't recall the exact number). It has Vista x64, 3Gb RAM, nice Intel processor, dual DVD drives and a 320Gb hard drive. We used our old monitor.
We paid less than $500 shipped.

Some people scorn Vista, but really is a very good system.
The 64 bit operating system has some minor limitations (software compatibility and somewhat RAM intensive), but it is by nature very secure. Windows 7 is even better with a two way firewall and some other security features.

If you are inteerested in security, this is how I have ours set up:

1. Windows firewall with another program (Windows Firewall Control by Sphinx Software, I think) which allowed me to more easily prevent outgoing stuff.
2. Router, as an added layer of protection.
3. Windows Defender with Spynet engaged. This acts as a "host intrusion protection" or HIPS system. This is a very potent form of security.
4. Windows UAC (user account control) activated.
5. Limited user accounts. NEVER surf, download or execute something that you aren't absolutely sure of under an administrator account.
6. Avira Antivirus free.
7. Superantispyware free.
8. I back up regularly with an imaging program to an external hard drive.

This setup is simple, inexpensive and very effective.

I also have the sytem totally locked-down utilizing a highly modified software restriction policy, but this is much more involved.
This may sound arrogant, but my system is nearly inpenetrable by malicious software because even if it finds a way in, it is nearly impossible for it to execute. In fact, I probably don't need any of the above security software, because software restriction policy covers everything already.

I rarely get to lurk these days (my 16month-old keeps me VERY busy!), so it is good to see you are still hangin' with the CU peeps. Good luck on getting a nice new system!

MountainMan
09-27-2009, 02:04 PM
I will never buy a "named" system ever again. I buy them built to order from a local company that specializes in business setups but does personal computers also. Anytime I have had an issue with their built comps, which is extremely rare mind you, they fix the problem no questions asked and because of their personal customer service, I have gone out of my way to drive business to them, even to the point of talking to someone in a Best Buy while the salesman was away.

I suggest you find someone local like that. Ask around.

Gingersnap
09-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Hey Ginger, we bought a new computer late last year and have been quite happy with it.

It is a Dell Inspiron 5xx (I can't recall the exact number). It has Vista x64, 3Gb RAM, nice Intel processor, dual DVD drives and a 320Gb hard drive. We used our old monitor.
We paid less than $500 shipped.

Some people scorn Vista, but really is a very good system.
The 64 bit operating system has some minor limitations (software compatibility and somewhat RAM intensive), but it is by nature very secure. Windows 7 is even better with a two way firewall and some other security features.

If you are inteerested in security, this is how I have ours set up:

1. Windows firewall with another program (Windows Firewall Control by Sphinx Software, I think) which allowed me to more easily prevent outgoing stuff.
2. Router, as an added layer of protection.
3. Windows Defender with Spynet engaged. This acts as a "host intrusion protection" or HIPS system. This is a very potent form of security.
4. Windows UAC (user account control) activated.
5. Limited user accounts. NEVER surf, download or execute something that you aren't absolutely sure of under an administrator account.
6. Avira Antivirus free.
7. Superantispyware free.
8. I back up regularly with an imaging program to an external hard drive.

This setup is simple, inexpensive and very effective.

I also have the sytem totally locked-down utilizing a highly modified software restriction policy, but this is much more involved.
This may sound arrogant, but my system is nearly inpenetrable by malicious software because even if it finds a way in, it is nearly impossible for it to execute. In fact, I probably don't need any of the above security software, because software restriction policy covers everything already.

I rarely get to lurk these days (my 16month-old keeps me VERY busy!), so it is good to see you are still hangin' with the CU peeps. Good luck on getting a nice new system!

Thanks for the info! I haven't made a firm decision yet so I'll think about your post.

Kids can be a handful but when the time comes that you can hang out more, we'll still be here. Well, most of us. :D