PDA

View Full Version : Obama Considers Soda Sin Tax.

Gingersnap
09-09-2009, 11:56 AM
President Obama says 'sin tax' on sodas is food for thought, despite Gov. Paterson's failed proposalBY David Saltonstall

DAILY NEWS SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

Updated Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 8:49 AM

The President, in an interview with Men's Health magazine released yesterday, said he thought taxing soda and other sugary drinks is worth putting on the table as Congress debates health care reform.

"It's an idea that we should be exploring," the President said. "There's no doubt that our kids drink way too much soda. And every study that's been done about obesity shows that there is as high a correlation between increased soda consumption and obesity as just about anything else."

Early this year, a public uproar forced Paterson to abandon his plan for an 18% state tax on soda and other sugary drinks. With Obama having a hard enough time selling health care reform, the White House tried after the interview appeared to put the cap back on the bottle.

White House spokesman Reid Cherlin said a soda tax is "not something we've proposed." And an administration official went further, saying he "is not going to do so."

Still, Obama was willing to at least float the idea. Congressional lawmakers have considered soda taxes as one among many ways way to cover the cost of revamping the health care system, estimated at up to $1 trillion over 10 years.

This would have zero effect on my life but it's just one more nanny-state tax. :mad:

NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/09/08/2009-09-08_president_obama_says_sin_tax_on_sodas_is_food_f or_thought.html)

Dan D. Doty
09-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Why, oh why do these goofs have to create yet another " sin taxes " ?

They are self-defeating and just make a bunk of Moonbats feel good.

Tobacco, booze, yachets! Hey Moonbats! Let grown ups be grown ups for a change :rolleyes:

noonwitch
09-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm a Diet Coke addict, so it would affect my life somewhat.

When it comes to sugary drinks, I really don't see that this would have a huge effect on kids' habits. The parents will either pay the tax, or find some subsitute that isn't taxed, like juice boxes, which are as full of sugar as pop is.

stsinner
09-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Um..... Didn't they say sugary drinks?

FlaGator
09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
And Obama said he wouldn't tax the middle class.

noonwitch
09-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Um..... Didn't they say sugary drinks?

According to the health kooks at DU, Diet Coke is even worse for me than regular Coke. It has aspartame, which is a dangerous chemical that somehow has a connection to Donald Rumsfeld, and diet pop allegedly tricks your body into acting like the fake sugar is real sugar, and it makes one just as fat as sugar.

You can't convince them that aspartame is like MSG-some people are sensitive to it and some aren't. I'm not.

ralph wiggum
09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
According to the health kooks at DU, Diet Coke is even worse for me than regular Coke. It has aspartame, which is a dangerous chemical that somehow has a connection to Donald Rumsfeld, and diet pop allegedly tricks your body into acting like the fake sugar is real sugar, and it makes one just as fat as sugar.

You can't convince them that aspartame is like MSG-some people are sensitive to it and some aren't. I'm not.

I mostly stick with Caffeine Free Diet Coke. The former Mrs. Wiggum told me to ask my doctor if it was OK for me to drink 6 to 12 per day, because she thought it was horribly bad for me. On my next visit, my doc of several years said that while he wouldn't recommend that someone drink it that much, it wouldn't hurt me a bit.

FlaGator
09-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I consume huge quantities of coffee so until there's a coffee stamp act to rebel about then I should be ok.

Bubba Dawg
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
When they came for the whisky drinkers, I wasn't a whisky drinker so I did nothing. When they came for the beer drinkers, I wasn't a beer drinker so I did nothing. When they came for the Coke drinkers, I wasn't a Coke drinker, so I did nothing. When they came for the Diet Coke drinkers, I wasn't a Diet Coke drinker, so I did nothing.

And by the time they came for the coffee drinkers, and I realized that I was a coffee drinker, it was too late.

Of course, actually I am a whisky drinker, but other than that....you get the idea......um.....

I drink some of those other drinks too.....just sayin'....

AlmostThere
09-09-2009, 10:37 PM

When it comes to sugary drinks, I really don't see that this would have a huge effect on kids' habits. The parents will either pay the tax, or find some subsitute that isn't taxed, like juice boxes, which are as full of sugar as pop is.

Ya know, Witch, I knew there was something about you I could empathize with. I've commented many times that I'm a hopeless junkie. Beyond redemption or intervention, a hopeless junkie to Diet Coke.