PDA

View Full Version : Too fat to be a model? The picture that caused a storm in the fashion world

megimoo
09-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Too fat to be a model? The picture that caused a storm in the fashion world

Lizzie Miller is considered too large to model plus-size clothes. Is the reaction that followed the publication of this picture going to change that?
Lizzie Miller, the 20-year-old model in question, agrees that it's astonishing that, at 5ft 11in and 12.5 stone she's considered a "plus size" model. "It's sad," she says. "In the industry anything over size six is considered a plus-size."

Miller, who is around a US size 12-14 (that is, either average or slightly below average) lost about 60lb when she was 13 but today she is considered too large to model for plus-size lines Marina Rinaldi (she says, "they like girls who are an 8-10") or Elena Miro.

She says that the overwhelming reaction to the tiny photograph, buried on page 194 of Glamour magazine "shows that the world is hungry to see pictures of normal women."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/02/lizzie-miller-model-fat

Rockntractor
09-09-2009, 11:30 PM
She's a tad chunky Mr. moo!

AlmostThere
09-09-2009, 11:39 PM
It is not a flattering picture.

Rockntractor
09-09-2009, 11:44 PM
It is not a flattering picture.

Very true! leaning forward with just a little tummy fat makes it look worse than it really is.

megimoo
09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
So are we all Mr.Rock but she is a real life mature woman !

Take a gaze into the mirror in the morn and observe your naked splendor and compare her beauty.

I for one find her an most attractive mature woman and would be proud to be associated with her if only my wife would let me !

Rockntractor
09-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Take a gaze into the mirror in the morn and observe your naked splendor and compare her beauty.

I for one find her an most attractive mature woman and would be proud to be associated with her if only my wife would let me !

I didn't say she is ugly but she is packing shortening!

stsinner
09-09-2009, 11:55 PM
She looks like she's had lipo but the skin wasn't cut off....

djones520
09-10-2009, 12:11 AM

More like a baby.

stsinner
09-10-2009, 12:16 AM
More like a baby.

Yeah, or that...

megimoo
09-10-2009, 12:59 AM
She is still a prime woman .A little flap like that is most attractive in a mature woman .We all have these visions of some skinny Seventeen year old female virgin thin as a rail and fair of face more like a high school senior than a woman.

But that's not a real woman to me.A real woman has some worldly experiences and has had a chance to make up her mind as to what she really likes in a man.

A real woman will live with a man and make him a happy home.A real woman has strength and convictions and will neither lead or be totally be led and dominated by a man .She rules the home by gentleness and great wisdom knowing her mans weaknesses and guides him with her gentleness .But enough of this ,you all know just what I mean !

Rockntractor
09-10-2009, 01:02 AM
She is still a prime woman .A little flap like that is most attractive in a mature woman .We all have these visions of some skinny Seventeen year old female virgin thin as a rail and fair of face more like a high school senior than a woman.

But that's not a real woman to me.A real woman has some worldly experiences and has had a chance to make up her mind as to what she really likes in a man.

A real woman will live with a man and make him a happy home.A real woman has strength and convictions and will neither lead or be totally be led and dominated by a man .She rules the home by gentleness and great wisdom knowing her mans weaknesses and guides him with her gentleness .But enough of this ,you all know just what I mean !
What you have said is all true but the question was is she model material and I say yes for plus size. There is nothing wrong with that.l

NJCardFan
09-10-2009, 01:09 AM
But she wanted to be a "plus sized" model and she's considered too fat? The hell is too fat to be plus sized? Also, what the hell is 12.5 stone?

Rockntractor
09-10-2009, 01:18 AM
But she wanted to be a "plus sized" model and she's considered too fat? The hell is too fat to be plus sized? Also, what the hell is 12.5 stone?
She probably refused to do any special favors when she auditioned! I don't know what was meant by 12.5 stone.

Space Gravy
09-10-2009, 07:11 AM
One stone is equal to 14 US pounds.

stsinner
09-10-2009, 08:54 AM

That's the way the silly Brits still give weight measurements.. I wonder how many hands tall she is....

noonwitch
09-10-2009, 09:00 AM
What you have said is all true but the question was is she model material and I say yes for plus size. There is nothing wrong with that.l

If I'm buying clothes from a catalog or website, I'd rather see how they hang on someone who is a 12 or 14 than on someone who is a 6.

My weight loss goal is to be about where she is, and I'm only an inch shorter than she is.

FlaGator
09-10-2009, 09:10 AM

Models aren't about reality. They are about some marketer's idea of what is an ideal woman or man. I think that you have confused the fantasy world of advertising with the real world. Do you expect a Big Mac to look like the picture of one on an advertisement?

linda22003
09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
What's all this "mature woman" stuff? She's TWENTY. :cool:

megimoo
09-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Models aren't about reality. They are about some marketer's idea of what is an ideal woman or man. I think that you have confused the fantasy world of advertising with the real world. Do you expect a Big Mac to look like the picture of one on an advertisement?
I was commenting on the woman not the model !As far as I can tell she was naked so modeling or clothing couldn't have possibly distracted me.
My whole point was, in case you missed it ,the reality's of beauty.

Beauty to me is in the natural setting without any commercial hype or camouflage !Be it nature or humanity outer beauty is there for all to see .
Beauty has little to do with good or Evil.Who can say if The Christ was a comely man or not but he was pure beauty .

The early saints in their beauty were loyal servants of their master but among them outer beauty was not a defining virtue.

St Francis of Assisi was by all accounts rather 'horse faced' but his inner beauty was there for all to see.

The word beatification is defined as 'To Make Beautiful or Blessed' but the saints were already beautiful to GOD and he is the only one who counts in the end !

submarinepainter
09-10-2009, 08:28 PM
she looks like a yummy mummy to me

Shannon
09-10-2009, 08:33 PM
What's all this "mature woman" stuff? She's TWENTY. :cool:

There is really no excuse for that stomach at 20 years old.

Rockntractor
09-10-2009, 08:37 PM

She doesn't look bad now but at the rate she is going she'll be 250 pounds by the time she is thirty five.

MrsSmith
09-10-2009, 09:37 PM

I believe the article mentioned that she had lost weight...so evidently everything didn't tighten up equally. This would be completely unremarkable if she is a mother. The skinniest mother I know still had some "tummy" when sitting in a similar position.

Gingersnap
09-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Almost all women who haven't been surgically enhanced have a "pooch" given the right posture and angle. Weight loss, aging, or pregnancy dramatically enhances this situation. If this woman was standing up or leaning back (both common "model" postures), you wouldn't see much.

Her role in the shoot was to represent non-models and she did that in spades. She looks happy and confident which is what they hired her for. The vast majority of men would hit her like a freight train. She's young, curvy, and obviously likes her body enough to share it with the world. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
09-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Almost all women who haven't been surgically enhanced have a "pooch" given the right posture and angle. Weight loss, aging, or pregnancy dramatically enhances this situation. If this woman was standing up or leaning back (both common "model" postures), you wouldn't see much.

Her role in the shoot was to represent non-models and she did that in spades. She looks happy and confident which is what they hired her for. The vast majority of men would hit her like a freight train. She's young, curvy, and obviously likes her body enough to share it with the world. :rolleyes:

She's a bit tall for me . . .

Gingersnap
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
She's a bit tall for me . . .

I assume you two would get horizontal at some point. Problem solved. :D