PDA

View Full Version : Coincidentally It's the Thursday Thread

FlaGator
09-10-2009, 07:55 AM
A beautiful but warm day here in North Florida. The beaches are nice, the water is still warm, small chance of rain and temps in the low 90s. I wish I was at the beach today instead of work.

TOTD; Do you believe in coincidences? What coincidences have you experienced that made you go hmmm. Yesterday was a day of coincidents for me. I had a DR's appointment and I joked with the PA that it was the easiest appointment I ever had to remember. It was on 09/09/09 at 9:00 pm. She laughed then looked at me and said "Guess which room you are in?" You guessed it, room 9. She opened the door to show be the room number. I noticed that the room across the hall was room 11. I thought hmmm, at least the string of 9's is broken but I thought it was odd the the two doors were 9 and 11. Oh well, so I go to leave and set up my next appointment and it turns out to be November 9th, 11/09. Maybe I should play lotto.

linda22003
09-10-2009, 08:33 AM
A coincidence I notice frequently (at least once a week, often more):
We listen to the news on the radio in the mornings while we're having breakfast and getting ready for work. On a regular basis, a news story on the radio is exactly the one I am reading in the newspaper at the same time.

Gingersnap
09-10-2009, 09:38 AM
This will be our last high summer-type of day for a while. I just noticed some more leaves turning. The pumpkins are going great (maybe too great).

TOTD: Coincidences do happen so I do believe in them. Do they mean a whole lot? I dunno. I don't look for them so I probably miss a lot of them.

Shannon
09-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I love the scene from the movie Signs where Mel's character is talking to his brother about coincidence and fate. On a day to day basis I'm more of an "eh, it's just a coincidence" type of person but I love the thought that maybe it isn't.

Bubba Dawg
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's Disease.

Shannon
09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's Disease.

How bizarre. What are the odds?

PoliCon
09-10-2009, 09:58 PM
A coincidence I notice frequently (at least once a week, often more):
We listen to the news on the radio in the mornings while we're having breakfast and getting ready for work. On a regular basis, a news story on the radio is exactly the one I am reading in the newspaper at the same time.

lol

PoliCon
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
TOTD: I don't believe in coincidences. I believe everything happens for a reason.

Bubba Dawg
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Another way of conceptualizing coincidence is the notion of synchronicity. Things which are causally unrelated but which occur together in an apparently meaningful manner.

Jung gave this as an example:

The French writer Émile Deschamps claims in his memoirs that in 1805, he was treated to some plum pudding by a stranger named Monsieur de Fontgibu. Ten years later, the writer encountered plum pudding on the menu of a Paris restaurant and wanted to order some, but the waiter told him that the last dish had already been served to another customer, who turned out to be de Fontgibu. Many years later, in 1832, Émile Deschamps was at a diner and was once again offered plum pudding. He recalled the earlier incident and told his friends that only de Fontgibu was missing to make the setting complete—and in the same instant, the now senile de Fontgibu entered the room.

Shannon
09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
TOTD: I don't believe in coincidences. I believe everything happens for a reason.

I truly think I believe that too.