PDA

View Full Version : Is your TV too big?!

patriot45
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Large screen televisions are next to go! How big is too big! How about 50"! (http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10347497-54.html)

How big is too big when it comes to TV screen size? How much energy does the U.S. gobble up watching television?

If you ask the Environmental Protection Agency, the answers would be (a) anything over 50 inches and (b) about 4 percent of all household electricity.

"There are about 275 million TVs currently in use in the U.S., consuming over 50 billion kWh of energy each year - or 4 percent of all households' electricity use. This is enough electricity to power all the homes in the state of New York for an entire year," according to the Energy Star program, a joint effort of the EPA and the U.S. Department of Energy.

Energy Star, which sets the standard for energy efficiency ratings on consumer products, says that televisions will have to become more efficient in order to earn its coveted sticker.

Sharp's 52-inch Aquos LC-52D65U LCD TV consumes 121.6 watts in viewing mode.

(Credit: Sharp)For their products to qualify, television manufacturers will have to meet a new standard by May 2010 and an even stricter standard by May 2012.

The version 4.0 Energy Star sticker, the standard set for May 2010, will require 40 percent greater efficiency, while the version 5.0 sticker will require 65 percent more efficiency than a TV sold today.

Generally, the new requirements put restrictions on the amount of power a TV can consume when it's in use ("on" mode), and when it's figuratively off but downloading programming information (DAM, or download acquisition mode).

The agency has also taken a stand on what it sees as responsible consumerism with regard to energy and the environment.

linda22003
09-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Can a post about "from my cold, dead hands" be far behind? :p

Gingersnap
09-10-2009, 11:09 AM
My TV is too fat. I recently bought a used 32" TV to replace my old, dead 28" TV. Sadly, it's still a fat TV.

It seems pointless to buy a new skinny TV until I'm ready to scrap my entertainment center and replace it with a mission-style table and a discrete Bose audio system.

Wait.....was this question really about energy consumption or something? :confused:

BadCat
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
That's nothing.

My mono-block amplifiers for my stereo suck 350 watts on idle.
The boiler in my espresso machine sucks 2500 watts.
My coffee roaster sucks about 2000.

Rockntractor
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Our government is to large! when you have so many bureaucrat in your employ that they have time to scrutinize the size of the peasants TV's it's time to thin them out!

BadCat
09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Our government is to large! when you have so many bureaucrat in your employ that they have time to scrutinize the size of the peasants TV's it's time to thin them out!

That's a fact.

stsinner
09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
It seems pointless to buy a new skinny TV until I'm ready to scrap my entertainment center and replace it with a mission-style table and a discrete Bose audio system.

EXACTLY!! My wife so wants a flat-panel, but what about my stereo equipment??

Gingersnap
09-10-2009, 11:41 AM

Mr. Snaps designed an elaborate audio set-up for me. It's works fine but the truth is that it's ugly and only the dogs can really benefit from the quality. I want a simple small system if I get a new skinny TV and everything has to sit on a new piece of furniture because the old entertainment center would look ridiculous in that context.

I'd be open to installing a master cut-off switch to save energy, if I did that. I guess.

patriot45
09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
You can hang them on the wall like I did in the front room-
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/vickywedding003.jpg

Or you can build a custom TV center like I did for the back room!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/aaaaroom018.jpg

NJCardFan
09-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Nice dog. I have a 37" flat screen HDTV that weighs about 200lbs.

noonwitch
09-10-2009, 12:47 PM
My grandpa recently bought a 50 inch flat screen. I must say, it's like having a movie screen in your living room.

I have a 24 inch tv, and I like the size. I used to have a 19 inch, but this is better. Anything bigger wouldn't fit in my entertainment cabinet. A bigger entertainment cabinet wouldn't fit in my living room.

BSR
09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
It can never be too big. NEVER....

next thread...

lacarnut
09-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Nice dog. I have a 37" flat screen HDTV that weighs about 200lbs.

I have had my 36" Sony for 3 years; has a great picture but weighs about 200 pounds also. I would like to sell it and buy a bigger flat screen one. However, it would take 2 gorillas to move it.

linda22003
09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
We have the big SONY as well; it has to have its own stand to support its weight. We had the built-in bookshelves designed around it, so it's going NOwhere until it dies.

Rockntractor
09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
My grandpa recently bought a 50 inch flat screen. I must say, it's like having a movie screen in your living room.

I have a 24 inch tv, and I like the size. I used to have a 19 inch, but this is better. Anything bigger wouldn't fit in my entertainment cabinet. A bigger entertainment cabinet wouldn't fit in my living room.
Would a bigger living room fit in your house?

Speedy
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
We are to believe that the government will regulate the size of our TVs in the name of efficiency and cost but won't do the same with healthcare?

RobJohnson
09-10-2009, 03:51 PM
My TV is too fat. I recently bought a used 32" TV to replace my old, dead 28" TV. Sadly, it's still a fat TV.

Wait.....was this question really about energy consumption or something? :confused:

I have the same issue with an entertainment center in my living room.

I do have a large flat screen in the bedroom.