PDA

View Full Version : Friday Thread. No cute name, just Friday Thread.

linda22003
09-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Drizzly dark morning in the DC area. Autumn seems to be underway, which is fine with me.

TOTD: I'm reading a novel where a man is feverishly buying nostalgic items he lost from his childhood, at very high prices. What would you like to "buy back" from your childhood - or what would you never give up?

patriot45
09-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Same old muggy hot weather here! My pool water was 88 degrees yesterday!

TOTD: I couldn't afford to buy back the baseball card collection I had as a kid! It was in our downstairs closet if I remember correctly, when I moved out of the house at 18. Working, dating and drinking :D then marriage and kids, I forgot about them! Mom must have cleaned up and tossed them, gone forever!

SaintLouieWoman
09-11-2009, 09:07 AM
It's a beautiful day here in sunny Saint Louis.

TOTD: Also wish I had my old baseball card collection and old comic books. My mom threw them all out and/or my sister kept many of the baseball cards. I have a beautiful little white wicker rocker that my favorite aunt gave me. I'm going to give it to the grandson when he gets a little older. He's 9 months old now and a real cutie.

Space Gravy
09-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Warm and muggy with a chance of rain in the Mid-South.

TOTD: Probably my first car. I've seen a few auctions on TV and people are fixing them up and their is a bit is a demand for them. After I got tired of it and bought something else my parents pretty much gave it away to some guy down the street.

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/1086369395019_19.jpg

Gingersnap
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
We're cooling off a lot today and I have the feeling that I'm not exactly dressed for the weather coming in this afternoon. It may be time to bump my veggie soup thread in Recipes since I have a lot of stock on hand.

TOTED: I don't seem to be as attached to stuff as some people. I can't think of anything from my childhood that I would particularly want today. I have a very large collection of Breyer model horses that I would be loath to part with. We couldn't really afford these toys when I was a kid although I lusted after them.

When I grew up I just started my own collection and they now dominate the built-in shelves in my dining room where other people would display china.

I also have an extensive collection of tarot cards. I've been collecting them for a long time.

Crystal Wizard
09-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Overcast and gloomy again here in New England. It does appear that "autumn's closing in" as it's significantly cooler than even two weeks ago.

TOTD: Like Snaps, I'm not very attached to things. However if I could find...

http://mentalfloss.cachefly.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/rosebud.jpg

Sonnabend
09-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Cool spring night in Sydney

TOTD:My comic collection. Be worth a fortune by now.

(Thanks Mum.....:()

PoliCon
09-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Drizzly dark morning in the DC area. Autumn seems to be underway, which is fine with me.

TOTD: I'm reading a novel where a man is feverishly buying nostalgic items he lost from his childhood, at very high prices. What would you like to "buy back" from your childhood - or what would you never give up?

TOTD - some days I'd really REALLY love to be able to buy back my innocence. It was stolen from me way too early.

Milly
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
I'd like to have some of the kids' books that my mom passed on to my cousins (who ripped them to shreds) Beautiful ones with Arthur Rackham pictures and some very early Mad magazines. :mad:

You also reminded me of an episode of "Fanstastic Stories" that was on TV about ten years ago about a kid from the 1930s who was told by a leprechan to hold on to the things from his childhood that his parents were demanding he dispose of. The guy became a recluse surrounded by stuff, until one day - in his old age - a traveler offered him thousands of dollars for a Tobey mug. At the end he auctioned off part of his collection and became a millionaire.

What were our parents thinking?

PoliCon
09-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I'd like to have some of the kids' books that my mom passed on to my cousins (who ripped them to shreds) Beautiful ones with Arthur Rackham pictures and some very early Mad magazines. :mad:

You also reminded me of an episode of "Fanstastic Stories" that was on TV about ten years ago about a kid from the 1930s who was told by a leprechan to hold on to the things from his childhood that his parents were demanding he dispose of. The guy became a recluse surrounded by stuff, until one day - in his old age - a traveler offered him thousands of dollars for a Tobey mug. At the end he auctioned off part of his collection and became a millionaire.

What were our parents thinking?

Which brings us to the beany baby rage of the 90 . . . .and now they are all WORTHLESS. Items like that have no real value - just perceived value.

BadCat
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Which brings us to the beany baby rage of the 90 . . . .and now they are all WORTHLESS. Items like that have no real value - just perceived value.

They make good screen cleaners for your computer monitor.

linda22003
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
What is the specific antipathy that mothers had toward comics and baseball cards? :p

PoliCon
09-11-2009, 10:52 AM
They make good screen cleaners for your computer monitor.

and good chew toys for the pets. . . . but when you consider that people were buying them for 20-100 each and now they're worth a couple of bucks each . . . . Better to invest in something of real value.

Rockntractor
09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
TOTD: I want Grandmas house back with Grandpa laying on the couch watching polka on TV and Grandma in the kitchen roasting a duck . I miss her fresh bread with homemade ground cherry jam !

PoliCon
09-11-2009, 12:27 PM
TOTD: I want Grandmas house back with Grandpa laying on the couch watching polka on TV and Grandma in the kitchen roasting a duck . I miss her fresh bread with homemade ground cherry jam !

I can seriously relate to that :)

Shannon
09-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I would never give up my Bogey Bear.:p I think I've had that stuffed animal since I was 3. I still have my wooby too.

Teetop
09-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Mostly cloudy, humid, around 88.

TOTD; I would like to have all of my Tonka trucks, G.I. Joe toys and every car I ever owned.

1964 El Camino 327 and a three speed in the floor
1973 Mustang Grande 351 Cleveland engine (Stock and fast)
1979 Cougar I named this car B.O.B., for beast of burden (Party car)
1962 Chevy Pick-up with a 1969 396 Chevelle engine in it (120 mph in one city block)
1988 Dodge Shadow Turbo
1990 4 door Shadow
1970 Ford Falcon (It would start at -38 degrees, when the Shadow wouldn't!) Can you say "Hoopty?

Teetop
09-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Even at 47 years old, I still miss my Granny and Poppie.:(

Some of the best times of my life were with those two.

GRiver
09-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Colder than heck in Colorado today..more of that damned global warming!

ralph wiggum
09-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Colder than heck in Colorado today..more of that damned global warming!

Hey stranger!

RobJohnson
09-11-2009, 11:21 PM
TOTD: I know a guy that was able to buy back his first car, a 69 Camaro. Since then I see the owner of Papa John's bought back his old Camaro. Neat stuff.