PDA

View Full Version : In Memoriam 9-11

SaintLouieWoman
09-11-2009, 08:54 AM
How quickly we forget. I'm surprised there has been no comment on the board yet.

Is anyone else watching Fox or other stations? Fox ran some of the original footage and now showing events at Shanksville.

Last night was somehow disturbing. There is a mosque near our home. SR and I went to get new phones at the Verizon store. On the way, I particularly noticed a beat up old car making a left turn, heading toward the mosque. The inhabitants looked like they had just rolled in from the desert, in full regalia and very jubilant.

On the way home, about 8:30pm, we saw cars streaming into the mosque. The parking lot was packed, with cars continuing to stream in, and police in attendance.

Somehow it just bothered me, the night before 9-11.

May all the victims of 9-11 rest in peace and may they not be forgotten.

Constitutionally Speaking
09-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm watching Fox - the ONLY place you can even see decent coverage of this.

SaintLouieWoman
09-11-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm watching Fox - the ONLY place you can even see decent coverage of this.

Just checked NBC, CBS, nothing covering 9-11 at the moment. It's just business as usual.

The terrorists are just there, biding their time.

Crystal Wizard
09-11-2009, 09:07 AM
CNN is covering it full time. Right now they're in NYC.

SaintLouieWoman
09-11-2009, 09:10 AM
CNN is covering it full time. Right now they're in NYC.

Thanks, glad to hear it. Fox is also in NYC.

We have to move on with life, but we should never forget and keep vigilant. Too often we neglect the lessons of history and perpetuate old mistakes.

Sonnabend
09-11-2009, 09:22 AM
All the media here is covering it, as they always do.

The day it happened, I was modding two boards, and the traffic was almost lightspeed, posts every few seconds. I will never forget it...at first, the reports we got said a plane had hit a tower, and we all thought it had been a small plane off course.

Then the horror of it all set in.

9/11 affected us all, and people from all nations died that day. news.com.au and smh.com.au were running immediate updates (I moved my computer to the loungeroom and plugged it into the second phone line we had back then).

One photo I will remember forever was that of a young man at the airport, his head in his hands...by a twist of fate, he missed the flight.

Etherea, a member of the old Darwin Awards forums, wrote a thread a day later.

"I still have the tickets in my hand" :(.

CW, can we put all the other crap aside for one day, and help me answer this one question: what do you say to someone who, for whatever reason, avoids a fate as terrible as those who died?

Glad to be alive...yet anguished at having survived?

I didn't have any answers then.....and I still don't.

Crystal Wizard
09-11-2009, 09:35 AM
CW, can we put all the other crap aside for one day, and help me answer this one question: what do you say to someone who, for whatever reason, avoids a fate as terrible as those who died?

Glad to be alive...yet anguished at having survived?

I didn't have any answers then.....and I still don't.

For today, that's appropriate. However, I don't have an easy answer to your question. I will consider it and come back.

Gingersnap
09-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I've been listening to the NYC memorials on the radio. I think I was the only person on my block to fly the flag this morning (not counting people who do it everyday). :(

SarasotaRepub
09-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Fox has their Special running now.

Never forget.

SaintLouieWoman
09-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I think it's particularly important to not forget this year, with the current President sitting in the oval office.

Today I talked to someone who said she was busy with her normal stuff, hasn't paid attention to the health care, the terrorism increased threats (in my opinion, as I'm afraid of the tests awaiting Obama). I almost lost it. She said that no one can make a difference. I said that with all that is at stake this year, everyone must make their thoughts heard (if they have any).

Hopefully our country won't go from the "Let's Roll" of Todd Beamer to "whatever" of my friend.

Shannon
09-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Fox has their Special running now.

Never forget.

I refused to watch anything this morning because I knew I would cry. Rush was talking about it today and I did start to cry so I turned him off. I will never forget but I just can't listen to the phone calls or watch the footage anymore. It's too heartbreaking.

SaintLouieWoman
09-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I refused to watch anything this morning because I knew I would cry. Rush was talking about it today and I did start to cry so I turned him off. I will never forget but I just can't listen to the phone calls or watch the footage anymore. It's too heartbreaking.

It bothers me, too, but it strengthens my resolve to do whatever I can to fight them. We can't let them win and must remain strong and vigilant.

Bubba Dawg
09-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Today, I remembered the attacks on 09/11. The flag at my office was at half-staff.

We observed a moment of silence at 8:46.

I thought about the twin towers. About fire fighters and police officers and folks who just went to work that day and didn't make it home.

I'll never forget that day.

hampshirebrit
09-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Good thread, thanks to SLW for starting it.

This time of year always gets to me like no other anniversary does. I used to work near the WTC when I lived in NY, and I was supposed to be in the city that day, but moved the trip out because of work commitments here.

I went a couple of weeks later, and I'll always remember that visit, always. I met some people who knew folk who didn't get out of the towers. I saw walls covered with missing people pics and phone numbers to call. And the wreckage was still burning sub-level (and did for months after), and every now and then I can still recall the smell of it, eight years after.

Here in the UK this year, they aired a couple of programs, one of all-amateur footage captured on the day, and the other of last phone calls and messages from the people who were trapped in the towers. Both were difficult viewing for me, very difficult.

Even so, or because of that, I know that we cannot afford to forget 9/11, for if we do forget, if our so-called leaders forget it, it will happen again. We need to keep the memory alive both for the sake of those that died, and for own sakes.

SarasotaRepub
09-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Maybe the DUmmies like spooked911 will wise up but I wouldn't count on it.

Remember, DU is the board that encourages morons to post about 911
conspiracies and tell us the US has an EarthQuake Machine (we really do but it's Tip Top Secret!!!) that brought the towers down...the towers were hit by missiles, the planes were just holograms...the Pentagon was also hit by a missile even though
plenty of now TombStoned DUmmies said they saw the plane hit...spooked did
his now famous "Chicken Wire Experiment"...and most recently, spooked911's
"fact" that the Twin Towers were brought down by Nukes...

Anyone who's been on CU for a while knows exactly what I'm talking about here.

Oh. I forgot. BushitlerMcokespoon caused 911. :rolleyes:

Skinner should be sooo proud.