PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi vs. Hoyer

megimoo
09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
The health care debate has strained relations bewteen House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer.

From the Politico House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer was telling reporters Tuesday night that a health care bill might survive without a public option when Nancy Pelosi bounded to the microphones to cut him off.

snip
“I think a bill without a public option has much in it that is very good, that moves us forward, ... expands the number of people who can buy insurance,” Hoyer said. “I think the public option is a very good choice for consumers to have. On the other hand, I have said I hope we can move a bill that garners a majority of support ... in the Senate.”

Hoyer added: “Do I think [the public option is] a condition of passing the bill? ... I think there’s a lot in the bill that is very good in addition to the public option. ... If a public option weren’t in there, I could support a bill.”

A few hours later, the speaker made it perfectly clear Hoyer wasn’t speaking for the leadership.

Last night Pelosi leapt to her feet when Obama mentioned his support for the public option but he stopped short of saying that it was necessary in order to pass a health care bill which was probably a disappointment to the Speaker.

If there was one thing that was clear from the president's speech last night is that he is open to compromise to get health care reform passed but that isn't something Nancy Pelosi is willing to consider so the Democrats bill will likely remain stuck in the mud for the forseeable future.
http://www.aim.org/don-irvine-blog/

PoliCon
09-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Hoyer should ALWAYS be in this kind of tension with the undead queen of the house.