View Full Version : Anti-abortion activist shot in front of Owosso High School

Gingersnap
09-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Anti-abortion activist shot in front of Owosso High School
by Elizabeth Shaw | Flint Journal
Friday September 11, 2009, 8:52 AM

http://i26.tinypic.com/2wp76l1.jpg

Ryan Garza | The Flint Journal

A police officer walks past the scene of a fatal shooting on Friday morning in front of Owosso High School.
OWOSSO, Michigan -- State police at the Corunna post have confirmed a well-known anti-abortion activist was shot multiple times and killed this morning in front of Owosso High School.

The victim's identity has not yet been released but the shooting occurred around 7:30 a.m., after most students were off the buses and safely inside the building, said Owosso schools transportation supervisor Jayne Campbell.

State police also confirmed that a suspect was taken into custody about 8:15 a.m. at the suspect's home.

Meanwhile, police have completely ringed with police tape a section of North Street in front of the school.

A black car can be seen parked at the corner of North and Whitehaven streets, where a portable oxygen tank is lying in a front yard next to a large sign bearing the image of a baby and the word "Life."

MLive (http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/09/antiabortion_activist_shot_in.html)

AmPat
09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that the Left will be outraged over this. If (and it is) such an outrage when a Baby murdererer is killed, they should be equally outraged over this. *waiting for outrage*--------------------------------------------------------------------*still waiting*

PoliCon
09-11-2009, 11:28 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that the Left will be outraged over this. It is a mirror image of what they protest afterall.:rolleyes:

right because they and their news sources are the ones that are fair and balanced right? ;)

linda22003
09-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I've read a few stories on this that indicate there was a second shooting as well. I'm waiting to hear more on what this was all about.

raiderguy8
09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I think we have no choice but to blame this on KO and Ed Schultz. /DU Mode Off

noonwitch
09-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I've read a few stories on this that indicate there was a second shooting as well. I'm waiting to hear more on what this was all about.

The second victim was the owner of a gravel pit. I wonder if it's one of those cases where the shooter was on a rampage and shooting everyone who got on his nerves today.

Owosso is a pretty small, red-state kind of town in a blue state. I don't know what an anti-abortion protester was doing set up outside the high school, but I'm reasonably sure the nearest abortion clinic to Owosso is either in Flint or Lansing. It's the kind of place where everyone probably knows both the victims and the killer.

linda22003
09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
FreeRepublic is insisting "the media will totally ignore this!!" while so far Google news shows 476 articles. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
09-11-2009, 02:02 PM
FreeRepublic is insisting "the media will totally ignore this!!" while so far Google news shows 476 articles. :rolleyes:

different articles or 476 re-postings of the same article? Second question - are these articles being covered on the front page of the various news sites or buried?

linda22003
09-11-2009, 02:12 PM
different articles or 476 re-postings of the same article? Second question - are these articles being covered on the front page of the various news sites or buried?

I don't have that kind of time today. Perhaps you do.

PoliCon
09-11-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't have that kind of time today. Perhaps you do.

nope. Nor do I have that kind of gumption. :p

BSR
09-11-2009, 03:30 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that the Left will be outraged over this. If (and it is) such an outrage when a Baby murdererer is killed, they should be equally outraged over this. *waiting for outrage*--------------------------------------------------------------------*still waiting*

Here you go...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=102&topic_id=4054901&mesg_id=4054918

comtec Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Sep-11-09 11:28 AM
Response to Original message
6. in trying to work up a tear

maybe in a decade or so

Do I even need to point out the hypocrisy to them again? :rolleyes:

this one is the winner

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=102&topic_id=4054901&mesg_id=4055010

T Wolf (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Sep-11-09 12:13 PM
Response to Reply #13
29. Explain to me how this death is anything but a good thing. One less reich-wing cretin abusing

children and others for his own sick kicks. No loss.

Lanie
09-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, this usually doesn't happen. If it was in reverse, I'd say it was obvious the reason the said person was killed. I hope the person who did this is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

AmPat
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Well, this usually doesn't happen. If it was in reverse, I'd say it was obvious the reason the said person was killed. I hope the person who did this is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Are you suggesting that it isn't "obvious" why this person was killed? Can you venture a guess?

Lanie
09-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Are you suggesting that it isn't "obvious" why this person was killed? Can you venture a guess?

I'm saying that unless something else is proven, then it probably was for political reasons. I swear some here just want a reason to be offended at times.

Constitutionally Speaking
09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Sheese, this is pretty damn close to home.

Teetop
09-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm saying that unless something else is proven, then it probably was for political reasons. I swear some here just want a reason to be offended at times.

Pull your head out of your anus, please. (http://www.connectmidmichigan.com/news/story.aspx?id=349067)

***UPDATE AS OF 5:46PM EDT:

Harlan Drake has no previous criminal record. The nature of the crime, hatred towards a pro-life activist and his material, prosecutors have contacted federal authorities and this could be procecuted as a hate crime.

AmPat
09-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Not offended at all. I wanted to see if I could get some clarity (meaning honesty) from you on this:
If it was in reverse, I'd say it was obvious the reason the said person was killed.

MrsSmith
09-12-2009, 09:56 AM
killing an abortion protester outside a school because he didn't like that the activist carried a sign with graphic images of a fetus in front of students.

And he made that SO much better by gunning the man down in front of students (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,549462,00.html). :mad:

linda22003
09-12-2009, 09:58 AM

It's not obvious. Aside from Pouillon, Drake shot a gravel pit owner and also targeted (but didn't get) a realtor. Who knows what the three had in common?

MrsSmith
09-12-2009, 10:01 AM
It's not obvious. Aside from Pouillon, Drake shot a gravel pit owner and also targeted (but didn't get) a realtor. Who knows what the three had in common?

I think it's pretty obvious by now.

The Huffinton take (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/11/anti-abortion-activist-ki_n_283486.html)...many priceless comments, but this one takes the cake:

edgarcaycedoc I'm a Fan of edgarcaycedoc I'm a fan of this user 4 fans permalink

For the pro-choice movement this is nothing to celebrate, even if it is related to abortion rights. I am pro-choice (prayerfully) but do not condone the taking of any life. That includes the 4 K and more we have killed in our name in Iraq, and the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis killed in our name. Taking life is just wrong.

Reply Posted 06:58 PM on 09/11/2009

AmPat
09-12-2009, 10:07 AM

Lemme take a wild stab-in -the-dark; um,

1. He is a liberal moonbat placing politics above all else?
2. He is crazy? (i know, I know, redundant, liberal/crazy/synonyms).
3. He is the perfect example of Peace Love, Tolerance, and Diversity?

linda22003
09-12-2009, 03:05 PM

I'll choose #2, Alex. And it's not necessarily redundant. I don't know what the political views are of those who typically go after realtors and gravel pit owners.

MountainMan
09-13-2009, 03:18 PM

And the other way around doen't "usually happen" either Lanie. Both are extremely rare and both are disgusting.

MrsSmith
09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I'll choose #2, Alex. And it's not necessarily redundant. I don't know what the political views are of those who typically go after realtors and gravel pit owners.?? :confused: Have you read DU? :rolleyes: "Some" people fervently hate business owners, pro-lifers, and those presumed to be "rich," like realtors. They can try to dodge it, but libs own this violence to the exact degree that conservatives own Tiller's death. For all their screaming about Rush and Hannity, their commentators and posters are generally more hateful, threatening and vile than any conservative. They try to claim that conservative speech incites hatred and racism, then turn right about and claim their own intolerant and hate-filled rants are perfectly safe. If there is a "street," it is most certainly a 2-way street.

linda22003
09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
I'll wait to find out more actual facts about it first instead of making assumptions about his motives. My gut feeling is that he's just a garden variety misfit nut.

AmPat
09-13-2009, 05:19 PM
I'll wait to find out more actual facts about it first instead of making assumptions about his motives. My gut feeling is that he's just a garden variety misfit nut.

Fair enough. When and hopefully never again, a pro-lifer kills another baby murderer, I'll expect that same fairness.:cool:

movie buff
09-13-2009, 05:47 PM

Going along with that, allow me to ask:
What do you think his DU name was?

linda22003
09-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Fair enough. When and hopefully never again, a pro-lifer kills another baby murderer, I'll expect that same fairness.:cool:

Fine with me. The problem is that in the example you posit, the killers (like Paul Hill, James Kopp, et al.) tend to claim they acted nobly for the "pro-life" side.

ampdead
09-14-2009, 06:34 AM
He was also a fairly typical Michigander redneck.

You'd find more supporters of the SocCon thing within, say, Detroit.

Oddly enough? Not really. Teh Blak peepz rnt as stoopid as the wannabe fertilizer floating around the 'burbs looking for something, anything, to do - raincoats or otherwise.

Sonnabend
09-14-2009, 07:27 AM
He was also a fairly typical Michigander redneck.

Oh good grief....:rolleyes:

ampdead
09-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Oh good grief....:rolleyes:

Considering, say, I don't know, just on the simple level of, well, Alex Jones, we had our very own Mark Scott - who was actually on the actual radio (as opposed to internet streams that never have to delve into the messy realm of finding sponsors and such). Libertarians reading, nodding in sublime acceptance to The Turner Diaries?

How about a bunch of middle-aged, over-weight, wannabes running around the Narnia-like forest with high-powered rifles, orange camo, and a 24-pack of Busch Light figuring they were fending off an imminent U.N. invasion?

djones520
09-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Considering, say, I don't know, just on the simple level of, well, Alex Jones, we had our very own Mark Scott - who was actually on the actual radio (as opposed to internet streams that never have to delve into the messy realm of finding sponsors and such). Libertarians reading, nodding in sublime acceptance to The Turner Diaries?

How about a bunch of middle-aged, over-weight, wannabes running around the Narnia-like forest with high-powered rifles, orange camo, and a 24-pack of Busch Light figuring they were fending off an imminent U.N. invasion?

As a Northwestern Michigander, I just gotta say you got no clue what your talking about.

ampdead
09-14-2009, 08:03 AM
As a Northwestern Michigander, I just gotta say you got no clue what your talking about.

Come a bit south and east. Traverse City doesn't count. Most of you are rather sane.

Hell, just an hour or so south-east from you is Michael Moore country.

noonwitch
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM

I think he's referring to Livingston County and the thumb area-Livingston County was known for a long time for the Klan activity that was always going on there, and the thumb is where Terry Nichols is from, and where his whack-job brother still lives.