PDA

View Full Version : Mohammed is now the third most popular boy's name in England.

Gingersnap
09-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Mohammed is now the third most popular boy's name in England. So why this shabby effort to conceal it?

By Max Hastings
Last updated at 4:02 AM on 11th September 2009

Comments (212) Add to My Stories This week, the Office of National Statistics published a list of the most popular boys' names in Britain: Jack, Oliver, Thomas, Harry, Joshua, Alfie, Charlie, Daniel.

They reflect a cultural tradition as old as the nation's history, and would provoke approving nods from Jack the Ripper, Oliver Cromwell, Thomas Becket and Harry Hotspur.

There is just one small problem: the list is deceitful. In reality, the third most popular choice for boy children born last year in England and Wales was not Thomas, but Mohammed.
Deceitful: When both spellings of Mohammed are combined it is the third most popular boys' name in Britain
The ONS explains blithely that it had no intent to deceive. Its normal practice is to catalogue different spellings separately, as in Mohammed, Muhammed and so on.

But if you add these variants together, as surely seems logical, then Mohammed is right up there, near the top of the list.

Unfortunately, in recent times we have been given plentiful cause for paranoia about attempts by official bodies to conceal from us information about the changing face of Britain which our rulers know that many people will not like.

Immigration figures are routinely distorted. In a rare moment of honesty, a Labour Home Secretary conceded that he had no idea just how many migrants dwell in this country, because of the huge and unquantified pool of illegals.

Many EU nations decline to collate statistics about the religious affiliations of their populations, to avoid rousing sentiment against Muslims.

The ONS's hit parade of children's names, as released for publication, seemed designed to mask a simple truth which dismays millions of people, and which politicians and bureaucracies go to great lengths to bury: the Muslim population of Britain is growing extraordinarily fast.

In 2007, 28 per cent of children born in England and Wales, rising to 54 per cent in London, had at least one foreign-born parent. In 2008, 14.4 per cent of primary school children claimed some other tongue than English as their first language.

The Muslim population is now close to two million, over 3 per cent, and rising fast because Muslim families have more children than most of the rest of us, many of them named Mohammed or Muhammed.

Muslim population has doubled in 30 years, and will double again on present projections by 2015. By 2060, Britain is expected to be the most populous nation in the EU, with 77 million people - this, though today Germany's population is 20 million larger than ours.

Interesting.

Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-1212368/Mohammed-popular-boys-England-So-shabby-effort-conceal-it.html?ITO=1490)

SarasotaRepub
09-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Interesting.

Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-1212368/Mohammed-popular-boys-England-So-shabby-effort-conceal-it.html?ITO=1490)

Wonderful!!! Mohammed Jihad! ;):D

Rockntractor
09-11-2009, 11:33 PM
It needs to be the most popular name on tombstones!

hampshirebrit
09-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Wonderful!!! Mohammed Jihad! ;):D

We're all thrilled to bits here in Teh Yuk at this latest news.

Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad!!!! :mad::D

insert puking smiley here as and when available

SarasotaRepub
09-12-2009, 12:15 AM
We're all thrilled to bits here in Teh Yuk at this latest news.

Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad!!!! :mad::D

insert puking smiley here as and when available

Sorry Hamp, I forgot the Durka,Durka. :D

bijou
09-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Let me recycle a response I posted elsewhere. This ranking was achieved by using a combined figure for all the various spellings of the name. However no one seems to have bothered to redraw the whole list in the same way for all versions of the other names. So we donít know how high up the list Mohammed would be if that were done. This is lazy journalism designed to advance a point, especially when it appears that no specifically muslim female names appear in the top 100 girlsí names. All it shows is that an overwhelming proportion of muslim boys are called Mohammed (or a variant thereof)

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/Product.asp?vlnk=15282
(link to obtain xls file)

Crystal Wizard
09-12-2009, 07:11 AM
While this may or may not be disturbing, everyone should realize that every devout (and possibly semi-devout) muslim names his oldest son Mohamed. Clearly this is not true among non-muslims who chose from a multitude of names.

PoliCon
09-12-2009, 08:37 AM
While this may or may not be disturbing, everyone should realize that every devout (and possibly semi-devout) muslim names his oldest son Mohamed. Clearly this is not true among non-muslims who chose from a multitude of names.

And it shows that there are THAT MANY muslims living/born in the UK.

stsinner
09-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I had a job interview with a large pharmaceutical company that looked promising-good benefits, good pay, but the man who interviewed me was named Muhammed... I couldn't take the job.

BSR
09-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I had a job interview with a large pharmaceutical company that looked promising-good benefits, good pay, but the man who interviewed me was named Muhammed... I couldn't take the job.

You couldn't take the job because some dude was named Muhammed? Did he have a suicide jacket on while interviewing you or something? :confused:

Rockntractor
09-12-2009, 01:55 PM
You couldn't take the job because some dude was named Muhammed? Did he have a suicide jacket on while interviewing you or something? :confused:

It was probably when he said we have one opening for infidel swine!

BSR
09-12-2009, 02:02 PM
It was probably when he said we have one opening for infidel swine!

:D

I just don't understand not taking a job because someone is Muslim. I used to work with this awesome guy named Adil.. DEVOUT Muslim. The kind of Muslim that would stop work, throw out the prayer rug and pray 6 times a day (or however many times they do it).

Supported the Iraq war, Supported the Afghanistan war, Thought it was bullshit that the Terrorists used Islam as an excuse to attack people, thought Saddam needed to be taken out because he was killing his own people.

Not all Muslims want to blow you up.

Rockntractor
09-12-2009, 02:12 PM
:D

I just don't understand not taking a job because someone is Muslim. I used to work with this awesome guy named Adil.. DEVOUT Muslim. The kind of Muslim that would stop work, throw out the prayer rug and pray 6 times a day (or however many times they do it).

Supported the Iraq war, Supported the Afghanistan war, Thought it was bullshit that the Terrorists used Islam as an excuse to attack people, thought Saddam needed to be taken out because he was killing his own people.

Not all Muslims want to blow you up.

I gave up trying to fully understand ST !

Crystal Wizard
09-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Because he was a "muzzie," don't ya know.

stsinner
09-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Okay, you guys that are high and mighty.. Just what's the point of this thread then? Why even point it out that it's such a popular name now? I don't remember seeing a story that David or Mike is the most popular name.. Damn...

Obviously the name being so popular concerns people.

I will always question where a man named Muhammed's loyalties lie. Non-muslim Americans are loyal to their country, but Muslims are loyal to their religion.

I never said they all want to blow you up, but the fact is that we're at war with radical Islam right now, and that job that I turned down was 6 months after 9/11, and I was still not right in the head.

Rockntractor
09-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Okay, you guys that are high and mighty.. Just what's the point of this thread then? Why even point it out that it's such a popular name now? I don't remember seeing a story that David or Mike is the most popular name.. Damn...

I will always question where a man named Muhammed's loyalties lie. Non-muslim Americans are loyal to their country, but Muslims are loyal to their religion.

I never said they all want to blow you, but the fact is that we're at war with radical Islam right now, and that job that I turned down was 6 months after 9/11, and I was still not right in the head.
This was just one muzzie that interviewed you. It was not like you were going to work for a terrorist organization.

stsinner
09-12-2009, 04:08 PM
This was just one muzzie that interviewed you. It was not like you were going to work for a terrorist organization.

You're right..

hampshirebrit
09-12-2009, 04:08 PM

Dum -dee dum -dee dumb dumb DUMB.

You will miss some good people and, likely, pass on some good opportunities taking that kind of blinkered view of what's going on around you.

I had a guy called Mohammed (last name, not first) work for me four or so years ago (since 9/11, gettit?). He was a top geezer, one of my better staffers, a very bright bloke, and ethical with it. He also was completely non religious, despite the name, which no doubt helped inform my opinion of him, but it was a while before I got to know that. If he'd been a full on 5 times a day prayer-mat type, it might have become a problem, but even then I doubt if it really would have.

I don't believe, but if I did, I'd probably figure that god gave us Teh Brane to figure such stuff out for ourselves.

Crystal Wizard
09-12-2009, 04:16 PM

I completely agree. I also think that you never know where the loyalties of someone who's named Seiji or Akihiro or Daiki lie. After all, those f**king Japs bombed Pearl Harbor. S**t, the more I think of it, the more I think we ought to lock up any Japs in the US. Oh, wait...

And don't even get me started on those bastard Krauts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgAi7DYHA94

BSR
09-12-2009, 04:17 PM

I never said they all want to blow you up, but the fact is that we're at war with radical Islam right now, and that job that I turned down was 6 months after 9/11, and I was still not right in the head.

Dude, they are right.. You are a bigot.. Im Christian and I am loyal to my religion. So what? I wish more Muslims were loyal to their religions. Then we wouldn't have suicide bombings.

You cant judge all Christians by the crazies who bomb abortion clinics and you cant judge all Muslims by their terrorists.

Crystal Wizard
09-12-2009, 04:20 PM

You cant judge all Christians by the crazies who bomb abortion clinics and you cant judge all Muslims by their terrorists.

Unfortunately, there are far too many people here who would only agree with half of that statement.

Rockntractor
09-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I trust no one on first meeting them . I learn to trust them on an individual basis. If they treat me with respect and are honest I will do business with them. You just have to watch your back and don't assume anything good or bad!

stsinner
09-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I trust no one on first meeting them . I learn to trust them on an individual basis. If they treat me with respect and are honest I will do business with them. You just have to watch your back and don't assume anything good or bad!

Right again.. I'm mellowing out as I get older.

Goldwater
09-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Let me recycle a response I posted elsewhere. This ranking was achieved by using a combined figure for all the various spellings of the name. However no one seems to have bothered to redraw the whole list in the same way for all versions of the other names. So we donít know how high up the list Mohammed would be if that were done. This is lazy journalism designed to advance a point, especially when it appears that no specifically muslim female names appear in the top 100 girlsí names. All it shows is that an overwhelming proportion of muslim boys are called Mohammed (or a variant thereof)

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/Product.asp?vlnk=15282
(link to obtain xls file)

I agree with Bijou, just another Daily Mail "The UK has gone to shit" article that the American Right seems to love so much.

hampshirebrit
09-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I agree with Bijou, just another Daily Mail "The UK has gone to shit" article that the American Right seems to love so much.

Never thought I'd say this at one time, but quite often these days the Daily Hell is right on the money on a lot of issues in the UK. They over-egg it at times, but I'm finding it harder to disagree with their expression of general pissed-offness with 12 years of NuLab miss-governance.

Not directly related to the OP topic, but Gordon Brown is a total disaster for this country, and we need the press to be continuously reminding the population of the fact, so that we can get rid next year.

Goldwater
09-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Never thought I'd say this at one time, but quite often these days the Daily Hell is right on the money on a lot of issues in the UK. They over-egg it at times, but I'm finding it harder to disagree with their expression of general pissed-offness with 12 years of NuLab miss-governance.

Not directly related to the OP topic, but Gordon Brown is a total disaster for this country, and we need the press to be continuously reminding the population of the fact, so that we can get rid next year.

Sometimes they're right and they flash light on things, but what viewpoint isn't right some of the time? Brown is as good as dead, Jesus could come back and endorse him and it wouldn't matter because all the Mohammeds would vote for Cameron.

hampshirebrit
09-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Sometimes they're right and they flash light on things, but what viewpoint isn't right some of the time? Brown is as good as dead, Jesus could come back and endorse him and it wouldn't matter because all the Mohammeds would vote for Cameron.

My expectation is that all the good and smart ones will, and the others will vote for George Galloway (assuming this odious creature will stand for re-election for Bethnall Green & Bow, and they live in his constuency) or more likely, will not vote at all.

Brown is deader than plaid, so we'll see soon enough. At the most, in'sh'allah, just seven months to go and we will receive deliverance from this appalling incompetent.

djones520
09-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Dude, they are right.. You are a bigot.. Im Christian and I am loyal to my religion. So what? I wish more Muslims were loyal to their religions. Then we wouldn't have suicide bombings.

It's amazing seeing something constructive coming from you. :D

AmPat
09-13-2009, 12:56 AM

Yet he is still correct. Muslims are loyal to Islam first and country second.:cool:

djones520
09-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Yet he is still correct. Muslims are loyal to Islam first and country second.:cool:

Bullshit. You wish to tell that to all the Muslim service members in our military?

bijou
09-13-2009, 03:16 AM

I'm not so sure, the ethnic vote is one of the few blocs who are likely to be loyal to Gordon, recent elections seem to show that Labour has been deserted by a large proportion of its traditional white working class constituency.

Don't get me wrong, there are serious problems in the UK caused by untrammeled immigration during the Labour years, it just annoys me when the Daily Mail (which is not a bad paper at all) prints something like this when a couple of minutes thought would have revealed the flaw in it.

Speedy
09-13-2009, 03:49 AM
Bullshit. You wish to tell that to all the Muslim service members in our military?

If they are not more loyal to their faith than they are to their country then they are not really Muslims. Kind of like the Christians that do not adhere to the tenents of their own faith.

The Jihadists and fanatics, those are the true believers and the true Muslims.

NJCardFan
09-13-2009, 06:18 AM
:D.
I just wanted to comment on your sig. I'm a Jim Rohn fan myself and this is one of my favorite quotes by him.

AmPat
09-13-2009, 12:43 PM

Bullshit back atcha. There was a survey a couple of years ago that bears out my point. And btw, it isn't "my point." it is doctrine to muslims. Do your research and let me know if you still call bullshit. As for the Muslim service members, much like cherry picking the few nutcase "Christians" who resort to violence, there are a few.:cool:

PoliCon
09-13-2009, 03:49 PM
ever notice that the people who preach suicide bombings and violence never strap on the vests themselves? I wish Islams would play up the whole practice what you preach meme.

stsinner
09-13-2009, 05:27 PM
If they are not more loyal to their faith than they are to their country then they are not really Muslims. Kind of like the Christians that do not adhere to the tenents of their own faith.

The Jihadists and fanatics, those are the true believers and the true Muslims.

Exactly right.. The very tenets of the Muslim faith are absolutely antithetical to the idea of America-freedom, dignity (for women), government.. Their Mullah's are their government and the ones who they listen to.. Their governments are just puppets of the Mullahs.. Their laws are dictated and interpreted by these religious leaders.
Islam and American freedom and values are like oil and water-they can't mix successfully. Any mixing that's portrayed or observed is very superficial.

There's a big difference between putting them down and not trusting them.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81898,00.html