PDA

View Full Version : What Is Worse?

NJCardFan
09-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Voting for someone because of the color of their skin or not voting for someone because of the color of their skin? I'm genuinely interested and if you answer this poll, just don't click and answer and that's it. Give a reason why you voted the way you did.

PoliCon
09-11-2009, 12:36 PM
skin color as a determining factor of human behavior and valuses is BULLSHIT idiotic.

Rockntractor
09-11-2009, 01:04 PM
What about Joooooo's.

linda22003
09-11-2009, 01:07 PM
What about Joooooo's.

That's okay. On another thread we decided they're white.

Gingersnap
09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
I said that they're equally wrong. Skin color is a superficial trait that doesn't correlate with anything. There are intellectual blacks, drunk Asians, goofy Native Americans, and twitchy, overly-emotional whites. It would be like voting for someone because they came from my own state. What good would that be? All people in Colorado don't have the same experiences or views.

I have more in common with a middle class, Conservative Hindu than I do with a working class Scandinavian-American who dropped out of a poli sci degree and holds left-of-center views.

I used this example because it real: I get along great with my Hindu neighbor who owns a successful liquor store and who wants his kids to become engineers while I have no relationship with my drop-out, leftie cousin.

It's not the superficial traits that count; it's the intellectual formation and character.

Rockntractor
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I like woman equally of every race! If all the men dissapeared tomorrow I would get by. Oh would I ever get by!

Ranger Rick
09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
You think there would be a breeding opportunity?

Why would color be a concern . There was a time I would have voted for Colan Powell. Give me values, give me intelligence.

NJCardFan
09-13-2009, 06:07 AM
I like woman equally of every race! If all the men dissapeared tomorrow I would get by. Oh would I ever get by!
But you'd have some major callus issues there Rock. :D

FlaGator
09-13-2009, 07:35 AM
By the way, options one and two say the exact same thing just in a different way. If I vote for someone because he is of a certain race then I have not voted for others because they were not of that race. If I don't vote for anyone because they are not of the race I want then I would have voted from some of my preferred race if he or she had run.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Voting based on skin color is a bad idea either way.

But what about other factors like religion? There are those who would not vote for a person because he or she is an evangelical Christian, or a Mormon, or a Muslim.

BadCat
09-13-2009, 10:03 AM

But what about other factors like religion? There are those who would not vote for a person because he or she is an evangelical Christian, or a Mormon, or a Muslim.

Skin colour does (and it shouldn't) give a person an idea about beliefs, but not to the extent religion does.

I would NEVER vote for a person I knew was a Muslim.

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 10:06 AM
I'd have trouble voting for a Jehovah's witness too.

PoliCon
09-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Skin colour does (and it shouldn't) give a person an idea about beliefs, but not to the extent religion does.

There I can relate. I don't wholeheartedly agree - but I can relate.

CueSi
09-13-2009, 09:46 PM

I understand, while I may not agree. I admit, as a woman, I'd be VERY hesitant to give a vote to someone I knew belonged to a religion that STILL regards women as property which can be killed in places where those beliefs hold strong sway.

~QC

lacarnut
09-13-2009, 10:05 PM
I have never voted for a black or a democrat until the last election for Mayor here. After Katrina, our population doubled. The mayor went on TV and stated that New Orleans thugs were not going to take over the city. He took a great deal of heat from black politicians and organizations like the NAACP. He earned my vote by keeping the city safe with orders to shoot looters.

enslaved1
09-13-2009, 11:23 PM
The graph looks like it's flipping the bird at lurking moonbats who all think conservatives are racists who could never vote a nonwhite into any office.

Speedy
09-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I would never vote for a Muslim.

CorwinK
09-14-2009, 12:56 AM

Voting based upon skin color is rather superficial...degrading to both the voter and the voted for. However religion questions have played a roll in elections of the past. Anyone remember the questions about JFK being a roman catholic? Having the leader of the nation bound by his faith to listen to the pope? I personally wasn't alive at the time but from what I've read and from the conversations I've had with people who were alive then , apparently it wasn't a small issue.

When it comes to religion, as long as that person has a proven track record of separating church and state when it comes to matters of policy then there shouldn't be an issue if that person is Christian, Muslim, or Hindu... especially seeing as the majority of faiths out there...despite some blatantly contradictory lines in their respective holy books...practice some variant of the golden rule...i don't think anyone has an issue with the basics of morality that many aspects of faith hold dear. Murder, stealing, and being an all around ass = bad for example.