PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread: Lurking

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 09:40 AM
61 degrees on The Mountain. There are a few days of Summer Left but you can definitely feel autumn in the air.

Football has started. For real, Honest to God Sunday football. That is one of the major signs of Autumn to me.

I just wrote an entire thread and had it disappear because I hit the wrong button.

I'll save it for another time. Today, let's talk about Lurking. Maybe that's the wrong term but it's what I call it. I go onto different boards sometimes, blend in, and just see if I can get a feel for what the posters behind the avatars are like.

I have a couple of usernames at DU but don't much go there anymore. Some of the folks are sane but so many are obnoxious or crazy, or obnoxious and crazy. I spend some time in the gun thread.

Free Republic is so large it's hard to get a handle on personalities. Maybe I didn't spend enough time there but it wasn't for me. I was at NU for a while and there are some interesting folks there.

TOTD: Do you Lurk on other boards? (Or this one?) If so, what do you get out of it? Have you learned anything.

I'd like to find a board in England to discuss British/European politics. I guess what I look for in some engagement with the posters to get a feel for what they are like.

Crystal Wizard
09-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Sunny and bright here in New England with temps in the low 70s. It's a pleasant change from the recent overcast gloom. Taking off early tomorrow morning for a 9:30 meeting in Nu Joisey.

TOTD: No, not really. I've been at NU as a member and go there occassionally. I've been kicked off of DU twice, once as TR Fan and once as Dick Diver. I don't go there at all any more. FR I've visited a couple of times, but don't really like the format of the board. I also think they would kick me off as quickly as DU has, should I decide to become a member.

Ranger Rick
09-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't do DU at all. Micechat, CC, Highroad for the most part. For an English site I go to:

http://alternative.smfforfree3.com/index.php

And of course the lolcats.

BSR
09-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll pull crap from DU from time to time.. I don't lurk anywhere else.

lacarnut
09-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Been raining cats and dogs in the gulf south for the past 2 days. Drove 4 hours in it from AL yesterday am. Thank God for rain-x. Need to take care of some business and will go back to the beach on the 20th for the rest of the month.

TOTD: Belong to CC....never go to DU....most of them belong in an insane asylum. Belong to 2 sports car sites but don't spend that much time there. Too juvenile.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Been raining cats and dogs in the gulf south for the past 2 days. Drove 4 hours in it from AL yesterday am. Thank God for rain-x. Need to take care of some business and will go back to the beach on the 20th for the rest of the month.

TOTD: Belong to CC....never go to DU....most of them belong in an insane asylum. Belong to 2 sports car sites but don't spend that much time there. Too juvenile.

I am on an Appalachian Trail site. That's kind of fun.

And a site for Honda Element owners.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't do DU at all. Micechat, CC, Highroad for the most part. For an English site I go to:

http://alternative.smfforfree3.com/index.php

And of course the lolcats.

Thanks Rick.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 12:08 PM
As an extension to the TOTD, do you seek out those with whom you disagree for discussion?

I have, back during the election mainly, but so often you get into an insult fest without much actual engagement or exchange of ideas.

I mean, I know it's the Internet and a part of that is just the nature of the beast, but I have actually had some interesting conversations.

Mostly not, though.

lacarnut
09-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I am on an Appalachian Trail site. That's kind of fun.

And a site for Honda Element owners.

If I ever get tired of the beach, I might tour that part of the country.

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 12:10 PM
61 degrees on The Mountain. There are a few days of Summer Left but you can definitely feel autumn in the air.

Football has started. For real, Honest to God Sunday football. That is one of the major signs of Autumn to me.

I just wrote an entire thread and had it disappear because I hit the wrong button.

I'll save it for another time. Today, let's talk about Lurking. Maybe that's the wrong term but it's what I call it. I go onto different boards sometimes, blend in, and just see if I can get a feel for what the posters behind the avatars are like.

I have a couple of usernames at DU but don't much go there anymore. Some of the folks are sane but so many are obnoxious or crazy, or obnoxious and crazy. I spend some time in the gun thread.

Free Republic is so large it's hard to get a handle on personalities. Maybe I didn't spend enough time there but it wasn't for me. I was at NU for a while and there are some interesting folks there.

TOTD: Do you Lurk on other boards? (Or this one?) If so, what do you get out of it? Have you learned anything.

I'd like to find a board in England to discuss British/European politics. I guess what I look for in some engagement with the posters to get a feel for what they are like.
This is the one I go to.
http://www.democracyforum.co.uk/
I joined this one by mistake but you might like it. It's a British bicycle forum.
http://www.londonfgss.com/

patriot45
09-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Another rainy overcast day in Flhdidah! Got an exotic beef stew braising in the oven and the Bucs are on in less than an hour, sipping on a home made bloody mary. It don't get better! :D

TOTD: I am only a member here but I go lurking on alot of gun sites, cooking sites and of course conservative columnist sites, where I like to copy and paste articles so I don't have to have an original thought!:D

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Another rainy overcast day in Flhdidah! Got an exotic beef stew braising in the oven and the Bucs are on in less than an hour, sipping on a home made bloody mary. It don't get better! :D

TOTD: I am only a member here but I go lurking on alot of gun sites, cooking sites and of course conservative columnist sites, where I like to copy and paste articles so I don't have to have an original thought!:D

Umm how should I answer that with my limited vocabulary? Never mind.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 12:48 PM
This is the one I go to.
http://www.democracyforum.co.uk/
I joined this one by mistake but you might like it. It's a British bicycle forum.
http://www.londonfgss.com/

Thanks Rock.

LOL. The cycling forum is for single gear/fixed gear riders. Fixies some folks call 'em. A lot of Fixie riders are very devoted to the concept and there can be lively debate. Not my cup of tea but the political forum looks good.

Thanks.

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks Rock.

LOL. The cycling forum is for single gear/fixed gear riders. Fixies some folks call 'em. A lot of Fixie riders are very devoted to the concept and there can be lively debate. Not my cup of tea but the political forum looks good.

Thanks.

I googled a political topic and was directed to a thread on the bicycle forum. I didn't realize it was a bicycle forum because in this thread they were having a good political debate.When I tried to navigate around I was stopped because I wasn't a member so I clicked on the join link and signed up. I thought fixed gear was some kind of Brit slang you know how they butcher the language.:D A few days later I started getting email from the bicycle forum and figured it out.

Shannon
09-13-2009, 01:01 PM
It's gloomy here today. Very unmotivating weather. I have to go get my hair done shortly. Ugh.

TOTD: I lurk at some Lost sites but that's about it really.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 01:01 PM
I googled a political topic and was directed to a thread on the bicycle forum. I didn't realize it was a bicycle forum because in this thread they were having a good political debate.When I tried to navigate around I was stopped because I wasn't a member so I clicked on the join link and signed up. I thought fixed gear was some kind of Brit slang you know how they butcher the language.:D A few days later I started getting email from the bicycle forum and figured it out.

Dude, you so need to get a bike. It's a sign. Embrace your inner cyclist. Spandex is calling out to you......

bijou
09-13-2009, 01:02 PM

The British site most like the messageboard format is probably www.politicalbetting.com (it has a conservative lean at the moment but that is due to the British political scene when Labour were doing well in the polls it had more Labour posters),
otherwise try www.iaindale.blogspot.com/ good blog with lots of links to follow or try guardian.co.uk/commentisfree this is a very liberal newspaper but has a lot of conservative posters.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 01:02 PM
It's gloomy here today. Very unmotivating weather. I have to go get my hair done shortly. Ugh.

Don't get your hair done too shortly. People will think you a lesbian. :p

BSR
09-13-2009, 02:22 PM

I've been told I look like Sawyer... :cool:

The retarded version... :(

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 02:40 PM

A lesbian with nice shoes that isn't fat!

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 02:55 PM
A lesbian with nice shoes that isn't fat!

Did you just call her fat? :eek:

Remember the curse.....

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Did you just call her fat? :eek:

Remember the curse.....

No No a very shapely thin lesbian with good taste in shoes!

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
No No a very shapely thin lesbian with good taste in shoes!

Okay, I'm convinced, but She may not be.

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Okay, I'm convinced, but She may not be.

She must be getting her talons sharpened or we would have heard from her by now!

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 04:17 PM
She must be getting her talons sharpened or we would have heard from her by now!

And the Dolphins got beat. Jacksonville lost. And it doesn't look good for the Bucs.

That will only make matters worse.

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 04:40 PM
And the Dolphins got beat. Jacksonville lost. And it doesn't look good for the Bucs.

That will only make matters worse.
I guess she does't think it's ethical to use her powers to make them win!

RobJohnson
09-13-2009, 05:25 PM

HA!

Today should be our last TDD (triple digit day) for a while, we just hit 100 @ 2 PM.....I'm heading into the pool shortly. My cold seems to be a little better....Good times. :(

TOTD: I really don't lurk other then looking for a good best/worst topic on DU.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I guess she does't think it's ethical to use her powers to make them win!

Dude. I'm surprised at you. That would be, like, unethical. Shannon has scruples.

Ranger Rick
09-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Plus, with a couple of losses earlier she gets better odds.

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Plus, with a couple of losses earlier she gets better odds.

Well, there is that.....