PDA

View Full Version : A Trade War With Our Owners over Tires.. Oh, fun!

stsinner
09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
This should end well... One thing about this entire situation that pisses me off to no end is that when other countries say that the American President is practicing, "Protectionism," he backs off.. What he should be saying is that protectionism is his job as the President of the United States-it's his responsibility to care about Americans and American jobs, not China and Chinese jobs, or any other country for that matter!! America should absolutely practice protectionism and keep our jobs here and our production facilities here.

A full-blown trade row erupted on Sunday night between the US and China after Beijing accused Washington of “rampant protectionism” for imposing heavy duties on imported Chinese tyres and threatened action against imports of US poultry and vehicles.

Trade relations between two of the world’s biggest economies deteriorated after Barack Obama, US president, signed an order late on Friday to impose a new duty of 35 per cent on Chinese tyre imports on top of an existing 4 per cent tariff.

In his first big test on world trade since taking office in January, Mr Obama sided with America’s trade unions, which have complained that a “surge” in imports of Chinese-made tyres had caused 7,000 job losses among US factory workers.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f67c6fe6-a024-11de-b9ef-00144feabdc0.html

Speedy
09-13-2009, 08:02 PM
America should absolutely practice protectionism and keep our jobs here and our production facilities here.

They can have our labor unions though. All of them.

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 09:01 PM
I have to buy at least one tire every two weeks. Most of them come from China.

Goldwater
09-13-2009, 09:05 PM
America should absolutely practice protectionism and keep our jobs here and our production facilities here.

Do you have any idea what a trade war would do to the US and the world? Especially in this time.

What the hell happened to the free market?

stsinner
09-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Do you have any idea what a trade war would do to the US and the world? Especially in this time.

Along with the free market, we should be free to buy only American products as a country if we need to. Instead, we have to worry about the sensibilities of other countries and buy their stuff, lest be be called protectionists.. It would be much different if there wasn't a massive trade deficit between the US and China..

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 09:15 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/caveman-car.gif?t=1252890914

Goldwater
09-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Along with the free market, we should be free to buy only American products as a country if we need to. Instead, we have to worry about the sensibilities of other countries and buy their stuff, lest be be called protectionists.. It would be much different if there wasn't a massive trade deficit between the US and China..

Well no, the consumer looks at the products and decides what is best for him/her, if they want to buy American then great, if the American product is inferior to the Chinese product in some way, it's likely the consumer's wallet rather than his/her patriotism will be doing the choosing as is the case everywhere in history. The trade deficit is silly and a disgrace.

PoliCon
09-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Free markets all the way.

lacarnut
09-13-2009, 09:44 PM

Did you know that the 18" Goodyear F1 DS3 tires made in China were defective. We need to monitor a lot of the crap that comes from China such as dog food, seafood that comes from polluted waters, to tires that separate and are dangerous to the cheap death trap cars that will be imported into this country in the near future.

There is no such a thing as a free market. Every country on the face of the globe practices protectionism.

Goldwater
09-13-2009, 09:47 PM
There is no such a thing as a free market. Every country on the face of the globe has protectionism.

I never claimed the free market existed today.

lacarnut
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I never claimed the free market existed today.

Has it ever existed?

PoliCon
09-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Did you know that the 18" Goodyear F1 DS3 tires made in China were defective. We need to monitor a lot of the crap that comes from China such as dog food, seafood that comes from polluted waters, to tires that separate and are dangerous to the cheap death trap cars that will be imported into this country in the near future.

There is no such a thing as a free market. Every country on the face of the globe practices protectionism.

Do a bit of research on Singapore. Singapore is a free market.

NJCardFan
09-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Why do we need Chinese tires? Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone, Dunlop, Uniroyal, Continental, Cooper, Michelin aren't enough?

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Why do we need Chinese tires? Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone, Dunlop, Uniroyal, Continental, Cooper, Michelin aren't enough?

Where do you think they get a lot of their tires?

lacarnut
09-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Where do you think they get a lot of their tires?

The tires on my sport car run over $200 each. So I make sure they come from either Germany or the US.

Rockntractor
09-13-2009, 10:19 PM
The tires on my sport car run over $200 each. So I make sure they come from either Germany or the US.

With a lot off my trailer trailer tires I have no choice but Chinese.

Goldwater
09-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Has it ever existed?

Not in it's purest form, no.

PoliCon
09-15-2009, 11:36 PM

It's about price.

Rockntractor
09-15-2009, 11:42 PM
We export a lot of food to china and than there is the fact that they hold a considerable amount of our debt. I don't think it's a good idea to thumb our noses at them!

PoliCon
09-16-2009, 10:17 PM
We export a lot of food to china and than there is the fact that they hold a considerable amount of our debt. I don't think it's a good idea to thumb our noses at them!

It's all about keeping the unions happy. They are his base - along with the welfare moms and race baiters - so he has to keep them happy.

Rockntractor
09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
It's all about keeping the unions happy. They are his base - along with the welfare moms and race baiters - so he has to keep them happy.
They did the same thing with steel. The price of steel doubled over night but it didn't bring back our steel industry!

PoliCon
09-16-2009, 10:22 PM
They did the same thing with steel. The price of steel doubled over night but it didn't bring back our steel industry!

nope. But it made the union heads rich.