PDA

View Full Version : I learned something today

AlmostThere
09-13-2009, 10:36 PM
There's been a fair amount of debate about care given to seniors or anyone for that matter, who is near death with no real hope of substantial recovery. I think a fair amount of the care provided may have the unintended/intended purpose of assuring loved ones that they'd done everything humanly possible to help their loved one.

There is this lady I know, her name is Violet. She turned 89 nine days ago. The last couple years have been rough on her so shes lived with one of her daughters, son-in-law and grand kids. The daughter did some serious renovation to their home to accommodate someone unable to walk on their own. The past month, Violet has racked up some huge medical bills; well into 6 figures. There was no saving her really. But in the end her daughters had to believe they had done everything they could possibly do to help their mom. That is what the money was for. There was no saving Violet, the money was to save her daughters, Cathleen and Karen. The hospital notified Cathleen earlier this evening that Violet was gone. Cathleen cried but I'm glad for Violet. She'll be cremated and buried in Arlington next to her husband

I wonder if we'll always leave Violet's bedroom as we've made it?

Bongo55
09-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm sorry for your family's' loss.

lacarnut
09-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Sorry about your friend. One of my greatest joys was taking care of my parents during their later years in life. I owed them more than I could ever repay them.

AlmostThere
09-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Sorry about your friend. One of my greatest joys was taking care of my parents during their later years in life. I owed them more than I could ever repay them.

Violet was my mother-in-law. She lived with us going on almost 3 years since the cerebral hematoma she suffered after a fall. Prior to her injury, she lived in her own home which she took care of, drove, did her own shopping and traveled some. She fell and didn't seek medical help for a couple of days. By then the damage was done. Her life was never the same again. That's the part of the story that is really sad. This was so preventable. She lived hundreds of miles from the rest of the family and being so independent, didn't alert anyone about the fall and we only found out about the fall when the hospital called.