PDA

View Full Version : California Highway Patrol moves to fix officers' pistols

megimoo
09-14-2009, 10:32 PM
The California Highway Patrol is replacing a key metal part on 3,000 new pistols it purchased from Smith & Wesson after the component in two of the new guns broke, rendering them useless.
The so-called "sear" catch on the Smith & Wesson 4006TSW pistol is being replaced as a precautionary measure in all of the guns delivered to the CHP since last summer under a 9,736-pistol, multi-year contract, CHP spokeswoman Fran Clader confirmed.
The CHP's pistol purchase came under political fire last fall after Senate Majority Leader Gloria Romero, D-Los Angeles, criticized agency purchasing practices that eliminated competitive bidding on the pistols as well as on other major equipment deals.
On Tuesday, Romero called discovery of defective parts in the brand new guns an outrage.
"This illustrates and underscores the problems that can occur when a contract is let in the dark of night without any public bidding or scrutiny," she said.
A sear is a key catch in the pistol's firing system that holds the hammer cocked or half-cocked. If it fails, the pistol's firing pin cannot operate and the gun can't shoot, according to CHP spokeswoman Jaime Coffee.
Coffee said that the CHP and Smith & Wesson agreed to replace the parts after two recent incidents in which hairline cracks caused the sears to break.
One weapon assigned to a Southern California officer malfunctioned during a monthly practice shoot after a piece of the sear broke off.

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/20404

expat-pattaya
09-14-2009, 11:14 PM
What's with all the gun failure threads?

megimoo
09-14-2009, 11:22 PM
What's with all the gun failure threads?
Aren't you interested ?Glock has an alleged problem with some of its handguns and magazines !Some People here buy handguns ergo they should be informed of the news,don't you agree ?

expat-pattaya
09-15-2009, 02:34 AM
I don't know. I've seen stuff like this before. Hell, I've read about good old Colt 1911 kabooms. Or even (gasp) jammomatic AK47s.

I'm not certain I believe these stories are accurate or portray anything other than bad ammo, bad maintenance or who knows what. The one about the police department with multiple Glock failures baffles me. I wonder - did they listen to the advice to NOT shoot lead bullets through the Glock barrel? Was the ammo home reloads? Do you think there might be another side to it? And does this story about S&W failure really help anyone decide what firearm to purchase?

This sudden flood of threads feels like an attack on gun manufacturers ala 60 minutes. Maybe I sense wrong?

megimoo
09-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't know. I've seen stuff like this before. Hell, I've read about good old Colt 1911 kabooms. Or even (gasp) jammomatic AK47s.

I'm not certain I believe these stories are accurate or portray anything other than bad ammo, bad maintenance or who knows what. The one about the police department with multiple Glock failures baffles me. I wonder - did they listen to the advice to NOT shoot lead bullets through the Glock barrel? Was the ammo home reloads? Do you think there might be another side to it? And does this story about S&W failure really help anyone decide what firearm to purchase?

This sudden flood of threads feels like an attack on gun manufacturers ala 60 minutes. Maybe I sense wrong?Could be but most of these stories are from police departments.
Some are stupid as in a cop who tried jamming three rounds into a glock without pulling the trigger,But one did shows an exploded shell casing jammed into a magazine .

expat-pattaya
09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Could be but most of these stories are from police departments.
Some are stupid as in a cop who tried jamming three rounds into a glock without pulling the trigger,But one did shows an exploded shell casing jammed into a magazine .

I guess we'll never really know. Could be a double charged reload, or a failure of the weapon to contain legitimate pressure.

I do admit I don't trust any firearm to be reliable until it proves it on the range. My Glock 30 had trouble with lock back on empty and one of the mags was sticky. All resolved but it took work.