PDA

View Full Version : Would you hire a job applicant who was Home-schooled?

Bill inGA
09-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Talk about your 7th grade drop outs. Pot, meet kettle.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6551358

ThomWV (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-15-09 08:24 AM
Original message
Would you hire a job applicant who was Home-schooled?
Years ago in a job I had it was necessary, from time to time, for me to select people to be hired for the company. When there was a position that needed to be filled I'd head down to the Personnel Office where I'd be given current job applications for review. I'd pick the one's I liked and they'd arrange appointments for interviews and so on.

I had that job for about four years and in that time I never saw an application from anyone who indicated they were 'home schooled'. If I had seen that I would have passed it over faster than a 7th grade drop out.

How about you, would you do the same - reject home schooled applicants out of hand without further consideration? There are certainly examples of well educated children who were home schooled and others who are not but overall how do you feel about home schooling?

Most take the oppisite position from the close minded ThomWV.

I especially like this one!

Pool Hall Ace (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-15-09 08:50 AM
Response to Original message
37. Of course! I would hire Ava in a heartbeat.
My niece only completed up to the 8th grade, but she's very good with networking, and one of the smartest people I know. She is also an athiest, and one of the kindest people I know.

linda22003
09-15-2009, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't hire someone who spelled a simple plural with an apostrophe ("one's") as the OP did in that example. :rolleyes:

stsinner
09-15-2009, 09:56 AM
I'd hire a home-schooled person in a minute, because I'd know two things right off the bat about them: 1. They haven't been conditioned to hold society accountable for their success or failure, and 2. They have likely been received a well-rounded education that wasn't skewed by society's newly warped revisionist history.

Gingersnap
09-15-2009, 10:22 AM
The vast majority of homeschoolers take community college courses in "high school" and they take the SATs and ACTs as well as easily getting their GED. Someone with that background is more than qualified for any McJob.

Beyond that, most of them attend college and most of them actually finish a degree (not true of a lot of college students who have poor high school prep). When I look at somebody's educational background for a real job, I'm pretty uninterested in their career at P.S. 46 when they were 8 years old. :rolleyes:

ralph wiggum
09-15-2009, 10:44 AM
High school? Doesn't even enter my mind when hiring someone. In fact, I rarely even notice whether someone's high school is on a resume or not. Work experience and college background are far more significant.

AmPat
09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Would you hire a job applicant who was Home-schooled?
Yep! In a New York minute, whatever that means.

pssvr
09-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I went to a public school for kindergarten and a private one for first grade. After that, I was home-schooled until my junior year of high school. In said junior year, I entered the invitation-only NC School of Science and Mathematics where I earned a GPA of 5.645. I am now at NC State University double majoring in Mathematics and Computer Science, on track to graduate with both degrees at the age of nineteen. Please, by all means, provide me an argument why home-schooling isn't a good form of education.

BadCat
09-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I went to a public school for kindergarten and a private one for first grade. After that, I was home-schooled until my junior year of high school. In said junior year, I entered the invitation-only NC School of Science and Mathematics where I earned a GPA of 5.645. I am now at NC State University double majoring in Mathematics and Computer Science, on track to graduate with both degrees at the age of nineteen. Please, by all means, provide me an argument why home-schooling isn't a good form of education.

Send me a resume when you graduate.

Gingersnap
09-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Because............kids might actually learn something that requires practice, intelligence, and actual facts. We can't have that sort of thing going on, now can we? :D

Rockntractor
09-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Welcome!

BSR
09-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Welcome!

This..

and impressive resume already. You are going to have a long and very rewarding career ahead of you.

stsinner
09-15-2009, 11:36 AM

The Liberals hate it when kids aren't processed though the Liberal indoctrination machine that is the government schools system.. They see home schoolers as some kind of rebel, and they resent not getting their crack at those kids' heads.

noonwitch
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
The only person I know who was home-schooled is my cousin, and she was home-schooled because her parents were unwilling to enforce school attendance rules with her, and the catholic school she was attending was going to flunk her for having 52 excused absences, despite her 3.8 gpa. She did all the work-my uncle, at best, was "a little slow", and her mother is a lazy, manipulative bitch. I give the kid some credit for being a brilliant manipulator in avoiding having to get up early in the morning, and she graduated from college with honors.

I don't do hiring. If I did at my current employer, I wouldn't probably be looking at high school as much as college records. The high school look would be just to ensure the applicant had a diploma.

For a job that doesn't require a degree, I wouldn't hold it against an applicant if he or she was home-schooled. I would be looking at the references.

NJCardFan
09-15-2009, 12:31 PM
People like this DUmmie make me laugh. They admitted that they wouldn't hire anyone who was home schooled strictly out of hand. Think about that for a moment. They wouldn't hire anyone who was home schooled just because they were home schooled. There's a word for this. (In my best Ben Stein from Ferris Beuller's Day Off voice) Anyone....anyone. Discrimination. That, my friends, according to the left's best friend, the gubment, is illegal. I'd love to find out where this person works and report their company for illegal hiring practices.

PoliCon
09-15-2009, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't hire someone who spelled a simple plural with an apostrophe ("one's") as the OP did in that example. :rolleyes:

Grammar NAZI!:p

Rockntractor
09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Grammar NAZI!:p
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/school_marm_angry_lg_wht.gif?t=1253071605

PoliCon
09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Funny how when the left advocates for discrimination against the right - that's okay. But turn the tables and you're a racist bigoted homophobic misogynist!

AmPat
09-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Funny how when the left advocates for discrimination against the right - that's okay. But turn the tables and you're a racist bigoted homophobic misogynist!

It's a good thing for the left that Gore and Kerry lost, Honky is way too funny to be an epithet.:eek:

FDK
09-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't hire someone home-schooled by a DUmmie.

InspiredHome
09-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Then as logic goes the DUmmies wouldn't hire the Founding Fathers either. :rolleyes: