PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your guns?

Jfor
09-16-2009, 01:01 PM
I have been checking online at places like gunbroker and such. I am looking to purchase some WWII era rifles, I.E. Garand and Springfield 1903. Where do you guys look for C&R guns?

BadCat
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
I have been checking online at places like gunbroker and such. I am looking to purchase some WWII era rifles, I.E. Garand and Springfield 1903. Where do you guys look for C&R guns?

Best bet on those two is the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP).

http://www.thecmp.org/

No FFL required, shipped straight to your doorstep.

I have a C&R license, I get a lot of stuff from Empire Arms in Florida, Dennis Kroh runs it and he's a good guy.

Jfor
09-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I should have bought from the CMP a few years back when they first got the Greek lend-lease rifles back. From what I have been the reading, the prices are same but quality of what is left is kind of lacking. They are also out of 1903's :(

The C&R FFL is something I have been looking into. I love the historical rifles. You also can't beat a Garand.

Apocalypse
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I have many, never paid for a one. All gifted to me.

Jfor
09-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Speaking of C&R... Any of ya'll have a FAL?

FeebMaster
09-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I've never bought any guns from them, but http://aimsurplus.com/ has good service on other items. I've never heard any complaints about them from people who have gotten guns from them.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a gun with a paper trail. Buy second or third hand or build your own.

Rockntractor
09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I have bought several on gunbroker.

BadCat
09-16-2009, 01:36 PM
I've never bought any guns from them, but http://aimsurplus.com/ has good service on other items. I've never heard any complaints about them from people who have gotten guns from them.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a gun with a paper trail. Buy second or third hand or build your own.

I've gotten a few from AIM...also a good company.
They get in the Swiss K-31's occasionally, that's a neat C&R rifle.

FeebMaster
09-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I've gotten a few from AIM...also a good company.
They get in the Swiss K-31's occasionally, that's a neat C&R rifle.

I wish I'd bought a few dozen back when they were $50.

Speedy
09-16-2009, 02:25 PM
My dad used to buy and sell at gun shows and when he died in 2007 I inherited three gun lockers full of guns. There was one piece missing that I really wanted to keep and that was an M1 Garand that my dad had bought in the either the late 60's early 70's for less than $100 from a mail order outlet. Turns out a cousin of min had it and he said that my dad had given it to him before he died. I do not know if that is true as my dad would lend guns out to relatives, he never gave the hard to come by pieces away. My cousin had always wanted that Garand and it is quite possible that my dad let him have it once he learned he was dying. As much as I would really like that gun back, I'll take my cousin at his word. I won't cause a family rift over something material like a rifle.

I still have an M14 though. Accurized and tuned to sniper rifle standards.

Jfor
09-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Speedy, I am jealous of you. An M14 is another one of the must have rifles for me.

gator
09-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Yes I do. I have a STG-58 and it is a great little MBR.

Ask me anything.

Jfor
09-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Gator, you like the rifle?

expat-pattaya
09-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Yeah. Have 3 actually. One is a DSA shorter barrel model. One an STG built on a DSA reciever. The other is a C3 FN-FAL.

I have also owned or still own a Garand, M1A (civvy semi M14) and Armalite AR10T. Honestly, if you are only getting one of these 30 caliber rifles the FAL would not be my first choice. But it depends on what you are going to do with it.

If you want to mount a scope and get precision shooting the AR10 is way past all the others.

If you want precision iron sight shooting the M14 variants are best. I have one that has been accurized with national match sights and it is sweet. BUT, any decent NM style AR15 will outshoot it. There is a reason those events are won by ARs.

If you want the one I really like to shoot get a good garand. Only problem with them is finding the right ammo. do NOT shoot civvy 30.06 in them.

The FAl is really the weaker sister in most areas. Yeah, you can mount a scope on it but I have never fired a FAL that is accurate to compete with an AR10 or even match level M14. And the iron sights don't compare with an M14 or Garand. I shoot both better than a FAL. It IS easy to put a low power scope on one and that is worth doing. Like a red dot or Trijicon.

The only place where a FAL shines is availability and price of parts and magazines - and ability to adapt to ammunition and digest almost anything.

Oh, they suck on full auto though. Just try and get the 4th round to stay anywhere near the target. But that is probably true of an M14 on full auto. I never fired one so don't know.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1007615/1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1007615/2.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1007615/3.jpg

Sorry about the mutant photos. Fixed now. I hope.

patriot45
09-16-2009, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=expat-pattaya;187783]Yeah. Have 3 actually. One is a DSA shorter barrel model. One an STG built on a DSA reciever. The other is a C3 FN-FAL.

I have also owned or still own a Garand, M1A (civvy semi M14) and Armalite AR10T. Honestly, if you are only getting one of these 30 caliber rifles the FAL would not be my first choice. But it depends on what you are going to do with it.

If you want to mount a scope and get precision shooting the AR10 is way past all the others.

If you want precision iron sight shooting the M14 variants are best. I have one that has been accurized with national match sights and it is sweet. BUT, any decent NM style AR15 will outshoot it. There is a reason those events are won by ARs.

If you want the one I really like to shoot get a good garand. Only problem with them is finding the right ammo. do NOT shoot civvy 30.06 in them.

The FAl is really the weaker sister in most areas. Yeah, you can mount a scope on it but I have never fired a FAL that is accurate to compete with an AR10 or even match level M14. And the iron sights don't compare with an M14 or Garand. I shoot both better than a FAL. It IS easy to put a low power scope on one and that is worth doing. Like a red dot or Trijicon.

The only place where a FAL shines is availability and price of parts and magazines - and ability to adapt to ammunition and digest almost anything.

Oh, they suck on full auto though. Just try and get the 4th round to stay anywhere near the target. But that is probably true of an M14 on full auto. I never fired one so don't know.

You gotta resize your pics!

Right across the street from my shop -- Airborne arms. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.airbornearms.com%2F&ei=PpmxStnRMJiRtgfw_qCdCA&usg=AFQjCNFmY4TeO8Wqg9qqA4qC3Y4qlW_q0w)

Bo is a great guy and his dad opened up a pistol range right next door!

Also you can get good deals on some gun group buys from a guy that used to post here, Steyr Aug, or some thing close to that. I bought a glock 10 mm during a gun buy for Fred Thompson a while back, hell of a deal!

RobJohnson
09-17-2009, 03:56 AM
I have friends that own gun manufacturing plants. Springfield, Armalite, Rock River Arms, Lewis Machine & more...

I have not bought any guns for a long time. For a while I did alot of shooting, but have not in years.

Crystal Wizard
09-17-2009, 06:06 AM
I have friends that own gun manufacturing plants. Springfield, Armalite, Rock River Arms, Lewis Machine & more...

I have not bought any guns for a long time. For a while I did alot of shooting, but have not in years.

Springfield, MA? Do they still manufacture guns there?

gator
09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Gator, you like the rifle?

I like the FAL.

I also have two M1As; Standard and Match Grade.

The FAL is a little less accurate than the Standard M1A but is still plenty accurate enough.

They are both different .308 platforms but they are both good rifles.

The one thing I don't like about the FAL is the sights but since I have ascope on mine it is a non issue.

Jfor
09-17-2009, 12:01 PM
My buddy just told me about a new gun shop here in Birmingham I am gonna go and check out. I would really love to have an M1a but the cost is a little out there for me.

BadCat
09-17-2009, 12:11 PM
The only problem with a FAL is the cost of feeding it.
.308 is scarce and priced like gold if you can find it.

Jfor
09-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Throw out some good suggestions then. What I want is a rifle with good standoff range b ut is also adequate in CQB if SHTF. It does not have to be a tack driver but does not to be moderately accurate. I am not talking a sub-MOA gun.

BadCat
09-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Throw out some good suggestions then. What I want is a rifle with good standoff range b ut is also adequate in CQB if SHTF. It does not have to be a tack driver but does not to be moderately accurate. I am not talking a sub-MOA gun.

Lee Enfield Mk. 4.

asdf2231
09-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Lee Enfield Mk. 4.

Bingo.

10 round detachable magazine and the sweetest bolt action on any of the WWII vintage bolt guns.

And the .303 Brit is a neat round.

expat-pattaya
09-20-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm just gonna say - I wouldn't choose bolt action. The semis are much better if you don't need sub-MOA. If money isn't an issue - and you want 30 caliber - an AR10 in carbine is a very good rifle.

If money matters, get a reliable FAL and good to go. Both with a nice Trijicon or AImpoint of course on a flat top.

But really, with todays ammo costs why get a .30? Get a nice AR15 in .223 and but tons of ammo with the money you save over the AR10 (if you can find one). .223 is fine so long as you don't need penetration of cover. And if you do - what the hell. Join the army and get air support :D

Jfor
09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Well, stopped by a new store here in Birmingham today. The guys who own it are retired LEO and love the EBR's! I will walk away within the next couple of weeks with Savage 10FP in .308 and also a DPMS in .308. I will have both out the door for well under 2k which will leave me plenty of money for a good scope for the FUDD gun and good optics for the DPMS. Thanks all for your suggestions. After looking, I can get plenty of .308 ammo from the CMP in Anniston. I did look at the Mk 4 rifles but after looking at the availability of .303 ammo, it didn't seem like it would be a good fit for me and since I am currently not reloading I need something with commercial off the shelf ammo available.

expat-pattaya
09-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Congrats. I'll be interested in the quality of the DPMS. let us know when you have it. Also, whay magazines does it use? Are they only DPMS or are there military mags that interchange?

Jfor
09-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Congrats. I'll be interested in the quality of the DPMS. let us know when you have it. Also, whay magazines does it use? Are they only DPMS or are there military mags that interchange?

I know the quality of DPMS is way up there. My last AR is one I built from mostly DPMS parts. As far as the mags go, you have the DPMS mags as well as the Stoner waffle 20 rd mag and Knights Armament SR-25 10 and 20 rd mags.

BadCat
09-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Here ya go guys, act quickly, these won't last.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/US_Springfield_Armory_M1_Garand_30.06_Rifle_w__Kre iger_Criterion_Match_Barrel.html

expat-pattaya
09-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Here ya go guys, act quickly, these won't last.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/US_Springfield_Armory_M1_Garand_30.06_Rifle_w__Kre iger_Criterion_Match_Barrel.html

I already got a Garand but I admit this is tempting. :o

BadCat
09-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I already got a Garand but I admit this is tempting. :o

If you go to their main page, they have some IBM M1 Carbines and some nice looking Czech VZ-24's too.

expat-pattaya
09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
What you are doing is called "enabling" :D

And oddly enough, I HAVE an IBM carbine. Stock is pretty crappy but it works. And I also have 2000 rounds of Lake City .30 carbine ammo too. Maybe enough for TWO carbines. Hmmm.......