PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Plans to Shelve Nuclear-Missile Shield

megimoo
09-17-2009, 12:58 AM
OBAMA Plans to Shelve Nuclear-Missile Shield

WASHINGTON -- The White House will shelve Bush administration plans to build a missile-defense system in Poland and the Czech Republic, according to people familiar with the matter, a move likely to cheer Moscow and roil the security debate in Europe.
The U.S. will base its decision on a determination that Iran's long-range missile program has not progressed as rapidly as previously estimated, reducing the threat to the continental U.S. and major European capitals, according to current and former U.S. officials.
The findings, expected to be completed as early as next week following a 60-day review ordered by President Barack Obama, would be a major reversal from the Bush administration, which pushed aggressively to begin construction of the Eastern European system before leaving office in January.
The Bush administration proposed the European-based system to counter the perceived threat of Iran developing a nuclear weapon that could be placed atop its increasingly sophisticated missiles.
There is widespread disagreement over the progress of Iran's nuclear program toward developing such a weapon, but miniaturizing nuclear weapons for use on long-range missiles is one of the most difficult technological hurdles for an aspiring nuclear nation.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125314575889817971.html#mod=article-outset-box

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I've always wanted to be a vapor.

Nubs
09-17-2009, 10:00 AM
This guy is dangerously stupid.

The reason that Iran is not developing ICBM's is that North Korea is doing for them. As soon as NK perfects an ICBM, they will sell the prints to Iran. Iran will have sudden "paint by number" ICBM capability.

stsinner
09-17-2009, 10:16 AM
And who cares that it's just Iran? Any one of the nuclear armed nations could turn on us in a minute, especially as our condition weakens in this depression.. The dollar is sinking in value, and all the talk is of America's influence and power waning.. We need to be able to defend ourselves against all the crazies out there that may want to exact some revenge for our years of dominance.

Lars1701a
09-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Screw the Europeans, for years the bitched about the missile shield going up. I say just protect us and don't waste money on that Continent

Nubs
09-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Screw the Europeans, for years the bitched about the missile shield going up. I say just protect us and don't waste money on that Continent

The primary purpose of this leg of BMD is to protect the US with secondary affect of protecting Europe as this is a mid course interceptor. By having limited sea and air space, boost phase interception is limited at best. This will only allow for terminal phase interception, so all the debris will fall somewhere other than the originating country.

Additionally, any interception regime needs to be set up and online before launch. A purely mobile offline defense will not work. The fact that Russia has such a burr up it's ass over this is proof that they know they have no reliable countermeasure to ensure their missles can penetrate BMD.

megimoo
09-17-2009, 12:05 PM
And who cares that it's just Iran? Any one of the nuclear armed nations could turn on us in a minute, especially as our condition weakens in this depression.. The dollar is sinking in value, and all the talk is of America's influence and power waning.. We need to be able to defend ourselves against all the crazies out there that may want to exact some revenge for our years of dominance.
The BMD system in reality wasn't meant to shield us from Iran but China and Russia .The only one that has real ICBM capability just now is Russia with China soon to follow.Russia has slipped badly of late and aren't even able to launch a SLBM because of their latest design screw ups .

Russia's latest Borey class nuclear submarine carry SLCM with Subcontinental
range .Russia's land based missile's are for the most part liquid fuel designs based ICBM'S and are obsolete .They have a new class of solid boosters but the numbers are limited .

At the end of the cold war Russia as part of Salt treaty dismantled most of their old liquid fueled ICBM'S and sold the HEU warheads to us.We now have an great abundance(Approx.100 tons) of weapon grade Soviet Nuclear material in storage at the Mayak Fissile Materials Storage Facility .

http://www.nti.org/e_research/cnwm/securing/mayak.asp

The United States is working to remove potentially vulnerable nuclear material from sites around the world under several different programs (and in some cases through ad-hoc initiatives focused on a particular site).

This work is proceeding in cooperation with the countries where the material is located, and in some cases with Russia and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Most recently, in late December 2003, a shipment of 16.9 kilograms of 36-percent highly enriched uranium (HEU) was airlifted from Bulgaria to secure storage in Russia, where it will eventually be blended to proliferation-resistant low-enriched uranium for use as nuclear fuel.

This action followed closely on an announcement by Secretary of Energy Spencer Abraham and Russian Minister of Atomic Energy Alexander Rumiantsev that a U.S.-Russian agreement facilitating such shipments to Russia of Soviet-supplied HEU would soon be signed.Following the Bulgaria operation, Deputy National Nuclear Security Administrator for Nuclear Nonproliferation Paul Longsworth told the Washington Post that the U.S., Russia, and the IAEA had finalized a plan for the return of all Soviet-origin HEU to Russia by the end of 2005.

Meeting this goal would require a dramatic acceleration from the current pace of removing material from 1-2 sites per year, which would almost certainly require new approaches—and there are significant gaps in current programs which need to be closed if the goal of removing the nuclear material from the world’s most vulnerable sites as quickly as possible is to be achieved.
http://www.nti.org/e_research/cnwm/securing/vulnerable.asp

megimoo
09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Russia's latest Boomber, Borey class nuclear submarine,
Borei class submarine during sea trials
Class overview
Name: Borey - Russian designation; also Dolgorukiy - NATO designation
Builders: Sevmash, designed by Rubin
Operators: Naval Ensign of Russia.svg Russian Navy
Preceded by: Delta IV class
Built: 15 April 2007
Building: 2
Planned: 8
Completed: 1 in trials
General characteristics
Type: Ballistic missile submarine
Displacement:
14,720 t (14,488 long tons) surfaced
24,000 t (23,621 long tons) submerged
Length: 170 m (557 ft 9 in)
Beam: 13.5 m (44 ft 3 in)
Draught: 10 m (32 ft 10 in)
Propulsion: 1 -650 nuclear reactor
It is a pressurized water reactor (PWR),
using 20-45% enriched uranium-235 fuel
to produce 190 MWt of power.
1 AEU steam turbine
1 shaft and propeller
Speed: 29 knots (33 mph; 54 km/h)
Range: Unlimited except by food stores
Complement: 130 officers and men
Armament: 16 Bulava SLBMs
6 533 mm torpedo tubes
Notes: Ships in class include:
Russian submarine Yury Dolgorukiy (Yuriy Dolgorukiy)
Russian submarine Alexander Nevsky (Aleksandr Nevskiy)
Vladimir Monomakh

Bulava SLBM.......
Has been unreliable when launched from a submerged boat.
The flight testing goes on but the chief designer has resigned
RSM-56 Bulava (Mace)
Bulava Missile variants
Type SLBM
Service history
In service planned for 2008
Production history
Manufacturer Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology
Specifications
Weight 36.8 metric tons
Length 11.5 m (without warhead), 12.1 m (launch container)
Diameter 2 m (missile), 2.1 m (launch container)
Warhead 6-10 re-entry vehicles with a yield of 100-150 kT each[2]
Engine three stage solid propellant
Operational
range >8,000 kilometers[1]
Guidance system :inertial, possibly with stellar sensor and/or GLONASS update
Launch
platform pr.955 submarines
Testing History
#7 2006-12-24 From a surfaced submarine. Problems with the third stage.
Failure
#8 2007-06-28 Unconfirmed reports about problems with one of the warheads.
Success
#9 2008-09-18 Subsurface launch at 18:45, warheads hit target at 19:05. Some warhead problems? Success(?)
#10 2008-11-28 Launch from a submerged submarine. The first statements suggests that the test was a success. Success
#11 2008-12-23 Launch from a submerged submarine. The missile malfunctioned during firing of its third stage and self-destructed on command.Failure
#12 2009-07-15 Launch from a submerged submarine. The missile malfunctioned during firing of its first stage and self-destructed. Failure

BadCat
09-17-2009, 12:19 PM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_FmvVm1RxDX4/R4BMnlXq8bI/AAAAAAAAB70/QmcxwK3xdf8/s400/surrender_flag3.jpg

Full-Auto
09-17-2009, 01:11 PM
The problem is, Barry will cut spending for our shield too when his NHC gets too expensive... almost right out of the gate. He could care less about national defense. He thinks he can win our enemies over by pandering to them... kind of like Clinton did and look where that got us.

http://tjenarvi.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/tragedy-9-11-twin-tower.JPG

Suit&Tie
09-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Almost got past the first page without exploiting 9/11. So close.

lacarnut
09-17-2009, 01:20 PM

Look who just arrived to the party; a surrender monkey

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Come on Panties! Are you really this stupid or are you in character?

Suit&Tie
09-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Missle defense shields have absolutely nothing to do with terrorist attacks.

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Missle defense shields have absolutely nothing to do with terrorist attacks.
And terrorists have nothing to do with enemy governments, you people really are stuck on stupid! What part of defense don't you understand?

Suit&Tie
09-17-2009, 05:14 PM
And terrorists have nothing to do with enemy governments, you people really are stuck on stupid! What part of defense don't you understand?

I remember the summer before 9/11 when GWB believed the most pressing issue regarding US security was missile defense. That ended up being a pretty big "whoops".

Missile defense is essentially a blank check being handed out for defense contractors to fight and an enemy that hasn't existed for 20 years now. If our biggest threat of an ICBM attack is Iran or North Korea there isn't much of a threat at all.

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I remember the summer before 9/11 when GWB believed the most pressing issue regarding US security was missile defense. That ended up being a pretty big "whoops".

Missile defense is essentially a blank check being handed out for defense contractors to fight and an enemy that hasn't existed for 20 years now. If our biggest threat of an ICBM attack is Iran or North Korea there isn't much of a threat at all.
It's the small possibilities that kill you.

Suit&Tie
09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
It's the small possibilities that kill you.

Yup, when you spend obscene amounts of money guarding against North Korea (lol) while people die because they cant afford healthcare things can get a little bad.

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Yup, when you spend obscene amounts of money guarding against North Korea (lol) while people die because they cant afford healthcare things can get a little bad.

What wrong with a DEFENCE shield when millions could be killed by one warhead?

BadCat
09-17-2009, 05:23 PM

Why don't you give up your health care so those without can have some?

Suit&Tie
09-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Why don't you give up your health care so those without can have some?

I already do, it's not a very cost-effective way of doing it for the consumer however.

BadCat
09-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I already do, it's not a very cost-effective way of doing it for the consumer however.

Sure it is. If all you lib-bats donate your health care to the illegal aliens, we won't have a problem.
You'll be "uninsured", but it will be "for the greater good".

Suit&Tie
09-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Sure it is. If all you lib-bats donate your health care to the illegal aliens, we won't have a problem.
You'll be "uninsured", but it will be "for the greater good".

You have no idea what you're talking about at all.

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 05:46 PM
You have a few years before your a senior. It will get here soon enough and then you will be sorry if your commie buddies get this health care bill through!

BadCat
09-17-2009, 06:02 PM

Of course I do.

You WANT "universal" health care, YOU set the example by giving what YOU have up for the "common good", YOU volunteer to pay more, YOU volunteer to have inferior care. YOU want it, YOU do something about it.

Me, I don't want it, I don't want to pay for it and I'm quite happy with the insurance I have, so you communists just keep your thieving hands off of it.

Suit&Tie
09-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Of course I do.

You WANT "universal" health care, YOU set the example by giving what YOU have up for the "common good", YOU volunteer to pay more, YOU volunteer to have inferior care. YOU want it, YOU do something about it.

Me, I don't want it, I don't want to pay for it and I'm quite happy with the insurance I have, so you communists just keep your thieving hands off of it.

You do know you are paying higher premiums because people who dont have insurance walk into the emergency room to get care and never pay the bill. Oh nvm I forgot, that's the beautiful free market doing it's wonderful job.

The moral issues regarding healthcare aren't as relevant as the fiscal ones.

Suit&Tie
09-17-2009, 06:08 PM
This is way too complicated for you, BadCat. You're just an an idot who wanders through life aimlessly until someone shows you how to think/believe/feel about everything. You're just a clueless, insignificant robot... and most of all a coward.

BadCat
09-17-2009, 06:16 PM
This is way too complicated for you, BadCat. You're just an an idot who wanders through life aimlessly until someone shows you how to think/believe/feel about everything. You're just a clueless, insignificant robot... and most of all a coward.

And you have a sub-70 IQ.

I feel the way I want to, nobody tells me how to feel.

And you're an ugly fuck, Marko/Japandroid/Eyelids, your adenine's and guanine's must not have aligned correctly to produce something as ugly and stupid as you came out.

So sorry that you are too stupid and incompetent to actually make any money of your own, that you will be ever relegated to sponging off the hard work of others, all the time thinking, that by the accident of birth, you "deserve" it.

You're a waste of skin.

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 06:16 PM

Go take a nap we just found a new chew toy!

Suit&Tie
09-17-2009, 06:20 PM
And you have a sub-70 IQ.

I feel the way I want to, nobody tells me how to feel.

And you're an ugly fuck, Marko/Japandroid/Eyelids, your adenine's and guanine's must not have aligned correctly to produce something as ugly and stupid as you came out.

So sorry that you are too stupid and incompetent to actually make any money of your own, that you will be ever relegated to sponging off the hard work of others, all the time thinking, that by the accident of birth, you "deserve" it.

You're a waste of skin.

This is no place for insults BadCat.

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Why not panties!

BadCat
09-17-2009, 06:41 PM

Is your mother proud of you?

Are you everything she hoped you'd be?

Is she proud to have a societal sponge as a son?

Does she beam with joy as her son revels in his life being sustained by the hard work of others?

It must make her sick that you think you actually deserve it.