PDA

View Full Version : Do you share food when you dine out?

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I always did. For me, half the fun of dining out is sampling different foods. So I LOVE to trade bites with others at the table. My 3 sisters and I make a point of ordering different things so we can have a bite of each plate. My one sister will even "doggie bag" her favorite leftovers and take them home. Both :rolleyes: of my ex husbands were totally cool with this and liked tasting off my plate too.

The creep (just kidding, he is usually nice) I am with right now.... he does not do this. And he does not want anybody dipping into his plate. Understand, this guy will kiss me intimately, and vice versa, so germs are not the issue.

WTF is up? Doesn't everybody trade bites when they go out to eat??

BadCat
09-17-2009, 03:06 PM
I always did. For me, half the fun of dining out is sampling different foods. So I LOVE to trade bites with others at the table. My 3 sisters and I make a point of ordering different things so we can have a bite of each plate. My one sister will even "doggie bag" her favorite leftovers and take them home. Both :rolleyes: of my ex husbands were totally cool with this and liked tasting off my plate too.

The creep (just kidding, he is usually nice) I am with right now.... he does not do this. And he does not want anybody dipping into his plate. Understand, this guy will kiss me intimately, and vice versa, so germs are not the issue.

Heck no.

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Heck no.

:rolleyes: weirdo.

linda22003
09-17-2009, 03:09 PM
No, I don't do that. I order what I feel like eating, and my husband orders what he feels like eating. Very occasionally we will split a dessert if we know they are big.

BadCat
09-17-2009, 03:09 PM
:rolleyes: weirdo.

No love, if I wanted what you had on your plate, I would have ordered it. If you wanted what was on mine, you should have ordered it.

I will share a dessert (sometimes).

lacarnut
09-17-2009, 03:10 PM
I am cool with sharing food. Now, I will slap the shit out of someone that sticks their hands in my plate without asking. Sharing food is fun unless you are a high brow. I take doggie bags home too.

gator
09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I Understand, this guy will kiss me intimately,

Are you going to tell us more details like where and things like that or are you just going to be little tease?

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Not very often.

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 03:13 PM
No love, if I wanted what you had on your plate, I would have ordered it. If you wanted what was on mine, you should have ordered it.

I will share a dessert (sometimes).

:rolleyes: All I friggen wanted was to dip my spinach in his viniagrette (sp?) dressing. The waitress bragged this up so much and he already poured what he wanted onto his salad. I just wanted a teeeeeeeeny taste of it. He way overreacted.

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Are you going to tell us more details like where and things like that or are you just going to be little tease?

what an ass. :mad: edited to say j/k

BSR
09-17-2009, 03:20 PM
:rolleyes: All I friggen wanted was to dip my spinach in his viniagrette (sp?) dressing. The waitress bragged this up so much and he already poured what he wanted onto his salad. I just wanted a teeeeeeeeny taste of it. He way overreacted.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Django_Scott/ThatsHot.jpg

BadCat
09-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Well that was an over reaction. It's not like you were stealing his lobster tail.

Is this still the guitar player dude?

We can be kinda eccentric, you know?

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 03:23 PM
what an ass. :mad: edited to say j/k

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/bitch_slap.jpg?t=1253215350

SaintLouieWoman
09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Jumpy, I like to have a taste of the other food, particularly if it's not one of the same restaurants that we always go to. But SR doesn't especially like doing that, so now I just order what I want and leave his food alone. :D

I'd be upset if someone got that upset about just wanting a little taste of the dressing. You've made other comments about this guy. Are you sure he's the right guy for you? I would hope he'd be bright enough to know how lucky he is to be with you. If he keeps it up, it will be his loss.

ralph wiggum
09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
I am cool with sharing food. Now, I will slap the shit out of someone that sticks their hands in my plate without asking. Sharing food is fun unless you are a high brow. I take doggie bags home too.

I don't know about slapping someone, but otherwise I completely agree.

To me it is part of the fun of dining out, to order somewhat different en trees and share.

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Well that was an over reaction. It's not like you were stealing his lobster tail.

yeah, it is the same guy ... and yes, he is eccentric. I will NEVER eat anything from his half of the table again. For me, it takes half the fun out of dining out though.

BadCat
09-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Jumpy, I like to have a taste of the other food, particularly if it's not one of the same restaurants that we always go to. But SR doesn't especially like doing that, so now I just order what I want and leave his food alone. :D

I'd be upset if someone got that upset about just wanting a little taste of the dressing. You've made other comments about this guy. Are you sure he's the right guy for you? I would hope he'd be bright enough to know how lucky he is to be with you. If he keeps it up, it will be his loss.

Never pictured you as a big consumer of Fried Spam and bacon anyway.

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Oh, I don't know if he is "right", but he sure is fun. And fun, and some companionship works for now. Marriage is out of the question.

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 03:30 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Django_Scott/ThatsHot.jpg

:rolleyes: Whatever.

Gingersnap
09-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Nope. Once in a great while I might try a little bite From Mr. Snaps' plate if he orders something wildly exotic that I've never had before but except for sharing dessert, that's it.

I cook constantly (the ultimate in intimate food-sharing activities). When I eat out I just want to order what I want.

Now, I certainly will ask for a box if I don't eat half of it. Portions are pretty big in a lot of places. ;)

samurai
09-17-2009, 03:45 PM
If I really like what I ordered and I don't like what you ordered, I don't want to share more than a tiny bite. If I end up hating what I ordered and liking what you ordered, heck yeah, let's swap all the food ya want! :)

Going nuts over a little bit of dressing is crazy though...

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 03:58 PM

Well, apparently it came to a head last night, and I guess I have done this before. (more than just dressing of course) duh... I ALWAYS do that. I just didn't realize that anybody was bothered by it.

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, apparently it came to a head last night, and I guess I have done this before. (more than just dressing of course) duh... I ALWAYS do that. I just didn't realize that anybody was bothered by it.
He is being an asshole. Tell him to cut the shit or take a hike!

aerojarod
09-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Of course, and I agree that sharing is half the fun.
However, on the flip side... my GF is on this annoying kick of always wanting to SPLIT something with me..

"Can't we just get an appetizer and split an entre?"

Now, I appreciate her concern for my wallet and the attnetion to her waistline, ;), but c'mon man- when I go out to eat I want to get something I REALLY want. If I feel like the Bacon Grease Delux, I'm not going to be happy about compromising for the Arugala and Goat Cheese Bruschetta.

Order your own damn food and let me eat what I want.

Speedy
09-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Yvette and I did it when we went to ethnic restaurants and both were ordering something new.

Gingersnap
09-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Well, that's probably the problem. If somebody asked to try something off my plate, I'd let them go ahead out of politeness but if it was a habit, eventually I'd get annoyed. You and your sisters are all used to this arrangement but he apparently isn't.

And as Aero pointed out, some female-type ordering procedures need to stay with the girls and not be inflicted on the guys. ;)

lacarnut
09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't know about slapping someone, but otherwise I completely agree.

To me it is part of the fun of dining out, to order somewhat different en trees and share.

Sharing is half the fun of eating out. Never slapped anyone but I came close to wacking this rich kids hand when he tried to steal a french fry out of my plate at the golf shop.

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Well, that's probably the problem. If somebody asked to try something off my plate, I'd let them go ahead out of politeness but if it was a habit, eventually I'd get annoyed. You and your sisters are all used to this arrangement but he apparently isn't.

And as Aero pointed out, some female-type ordering procedures need to stay with the girls and not be inflicted on the guys. ;)

Obviously you are right. Still, if you are dining with someone that you are kissing, it should be okay to trade one bite. Especially when both of us don't even finish our plates. Nobody is taking prime rib from anybody.

Whatever... I will never sample any of his food again. :mad:

linda22003
09-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Well, apparently it came to a head last night, and I guess I have done this before. (more than just dressing of course)

And now the truth comes out. He didn't suddenly go nuts over a bit of vinaigrette. If this isn't something he's used to doing, he probably realized there would be no end to it if he didn't say something.

Gingersnap
09-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Obviously you are right. Still, if you are dining with someone that you are kissing, it should be okay to trade one bite. Especially when both of us don't even finish our plates. Nobody is taking prime rib from anybody.

It's not about the germs or food resources, it's about personal space and boundaries. Everybody has very different ideas about personal space whether sex is involved or not. There's no "right" way to be about this other than to respect boundaries that do exist.

You're not wrong but neither is he. Since you are the aggressor here in terms of food management, you just have to back off and save the sharing for your other friends.

It's not personal, though, and I don't think you should make it personal. I'll bet this guy isn't thrilled with the food thing no matter who he's eating with.

BadCat
09-17-2009, 05:41 PM

I dunno.

You're pretty cute, I "might" let you steal off my plate.

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Ann Landers or Dear Abbey?

Space Gravy
09-17-2009, 06:25 PM
We do it all the time.

Constitutionally Speaking
09-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't do it very often, but my wife does it every single time - even on the rare occasions we order the same thing!! :mad:

Bubba Dawg
09-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Miz Bubba likes to have a taste of this or that.

I've gotten used to it.

We almost always share dessert.

submarinepainter
09-17-2009, 08:14 PM
I always share with my Missus !!

Rockntractor
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I always share with my Missus !!

Off topic but when you paint submarines doesn't the paint just float out of the can and mix with the water?

Jumpy
09-17-2009, 11:27 PM
And now the truth comes out. He didn't suddenly go nuts over a bit of vinaigrette. If this isn't something he's used to doing, he probably realized there would be no end to it if he didn't say something.
Well yeah.. I wanted honest opinions, so I have to present both sides. And yes, he did suddenly go nuts over a bit of vinaigrette. He could have let me know that he feels this strongly about his food boundaries sometime before we were out "fine dining".

Still, we have great plans for the weekend, and all is good. :)

RobJohnson
09-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Well yeah.. I wanted honest opinions, so I have to present both sides. And yes, he did suddenly go nuts over a bit of vinaigrette. He could have let me know that he feels this strongly about his food boundaries sometime before we were out "fine dining".

Still, we have great plans for the weekend, and all is good. :)

You might of already been driving him nuts, the vinaigrette just pushed him over the edge. It happens.

ralph wiggum
09-18-2009, 02:27 AM
You might of already been driving him nuts, the vinaigrette just pushed him over the edge. It happens.

You've pushed people over the edge with vinaigrette??? :eek:

:D

samurai
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
If it's a matter of personal space rather than germs or food, here's an idea: Rather than reaching over and snagging stuff from his plate, how about asking if you could taste this or that, and let him reach over and feed you, or put some on your plate? In my family, that's typically how we do it when we share.

BadCat
09-18-2009, 12:28 PM
This is an easy problem to solve.

He acts like an ass over salad dressing, he doesn't "get any" after dinner.

Women have been doing this for all of recorded history, and it has always worked.

RobJohnson
09-18-2009, 12:29 PM
You've pushed people over the edge with vinaigrette??? :eek:

:D

In my defense, it was ranch. :p

linda22003
09-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Women have been doing this for all of recorded history, and it has always worked.

Except if she puts out before dinner because she figures she'll be too full later. :p

Rockntractor
09-18-2009, 02:10 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/the-relationship-love-girlfriend-de.jpg?t=1253297410

Teetop
09-18-2009, 05:05 PM

I think I have always let someone do that. Sharing your food is something nice and gives you more to discuss while eating.

I has never really been an issue with me, but not much is...

Shannon
09-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I always order something different than he does because I'm thinking of him. I don't eat that much. I know he's going to finish my food so I think of him when I order. I sometimes take a bite of his food. We have been together awhile now though. I wouldn't think of doing that early in a relationship.

JB
09-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Any of you homos touches my stuff...and I kill you.

http://teamfrancis.emrydesign.com/francis.jpg

ralph wiggum
09-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Any of you homos touches my stuff...and I kill you.

http://teamfrancis.emrydesign.com/francis.jpg

Says Sgt. Hulka: "Lighten up, Francis."

It had to be said, plus this is a fun thread that deserves a bump. :D

aerojarod
09-21-2009, 10:31 AM
So, I was eating out my girlfriend and I asked her if she wanted a taste... ;):D

(Sorry, I'm in an inappropriate mood today)

BadCat
09-21-2009, 10:38 AM
So, I was eating out my girlfriend and I asked her if she wanted a taste... ;):D

(Sorry, I'm in an inappropriate mood today)

Ah, another guy that knows that "ATM" is not just an acronym for a banking machine.

aerojarod
09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Ah, another guy that knows that "ATM" is not just an acronym for a banking machine.

One gives you money... the other gives you herpes.