PDA

View Full Version : Frazzled Friday

linda22003
09-18-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm glad this week is over. It's drizzling and grey in the DC area this morning.

TOTD: When I was in college I worked part time at a department store to earn extra money. I hated being on my feet all day, and it was "dead boring", as the Brits would say. However, I had the liberating knowledge that, at the age of twenty, I had already had the worst job I would ever have, and they could only get better.

Whether or not you like your current job, what job would you absolutely HATE doing?

Shannon
09-18-2009, 09:18 AM
It's an Inside the Actors Studio question!:D I could never be an exterminator.;)

A department store was your worst job? Really?:rolleyes:

Space Gravy
09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Dark and dreary in the Mid-South.

TOTD: Anything with customer service where you have to listen to people bitch and moan.

Flight attendants, ticket agents, waiters, store managers, etc... It seems like folks load up and blow off steam because they know they can get away with it to these folks.

Gingersnap
09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
We're still having fine weather but this can't last and it won't. Temps will slide and then tank on Monday when we won't get out of the 50s. Nighttime temps will put paid to the tender plants.

TOTD: Interesting. The worst job I actually had was landscaping. It's one thing to kill yourself on your own behalf in the garden but it's a whole different thing to kill yourself every single day for someone else's benefit. Don't get me wrong - the money was excellent and I was glad to have the job but it was killer.

In general terms, any job with a huge customer service component would be my idea of hell. I prefer to work on projects without a lot of amateur input. You can do what you want with the product when it's finished and I'll be glad to tweak if for you until it no longer functions but constant yakking and lame questions during the building/testing/deployment phase would be maddening.

Rockntractor
09-18-2009, 10:15 AM
You can't do any thing when it rains every dam day!:mad:

lacarnut
09-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Headed to the ear Dr. this am

TOTD: After I got out of the Army, jobs were hard to find; bricklayer's helper and installing heavy overhead sheetrock were ball busters.

BadCat
09-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Driving a hearse.

Not a bad job, really, just not for everybody.

linda22003
09-18-2009, 11:19 AM
It's an Inside the Actors Studio question!:D I could never be an exterminator.;)

A department store was your worst job? Really?:rolleyes:

Really. I hated being on my feet all day. I'd come home exhausted and throw up from the pain in my legs. A job where I can sit down is heaven.

BadCat
09-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Really. I hated being on my feet all day. I'd come home exhausted and throw up from the pain in my legs. A job where I can sit down is heaven.

You might like driving a hearse then.

Rockntractor
09-18-2009, 11:22 AM

I feel like I'm ready to go for a ride in the back of one today!

BadCat
09-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I feel like I'm ready to go for a ride in the back of one today!

Not me, man. Beautiful day, only in the 90's, a little breeze blowing, no work....going shooting.
Another wonderful day in the neighborhood.

linda22003
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM

They probably wouldn't like my speed. :)

BSR
09-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I wouldnt want to be a police officer. It's not all clubbing Hippies and shooting black people like the Liberals make it sound like. There is tons of paperwork and court dates.. Not fun at all.

Rockntractor
09-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I wouldnt want to be a police officer. It's not all clubbing Hippies and shooting black people like the Liberals make it sound like. There is tons of paperwork and court dates.. Not fun at all.

You get to be all self righteous and tell people little safety stories when they speed . Right after you got done going 55 in a 45 mile per hour zone without your siren on going to the quick trip for a snack and a cup of coffee. Dam them!:D

RobJohnson
09-18-2009, 12:42 PM
You get to be all self righteous and tell people little safety stories when they speed . Right after you got done going 55 in a 45 mile per hour zone without your siren on going to the quick trip for a snack and a cup of coffee. Dam them!:D

Sounds like Metro. (Las Vegas)

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=10318962

The city blamed a drunk driver for the officer's death, despite what many eye witnesses told them. The witnessess were call liars by the police chief & the alleged drunk, was not even drunk! Later it was found out that the accident was the police officer's fault...after the guy had his name smeared....Nice.

Police magazines all over the nation published that the officer was killed by a drunk driver, which was not true.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=10397826

Since then other officers have been caught driving as fast as they can through town, without lights or sirens, very dangerous to the public.

RobJohnson
09-18-2009, 12:45 PM
It's in the 90's & I'm looking forward to eight hours on my feet at work. :)

TOTD: I've liked all of my jobs. One of the worst was in the worlds largest aluminum mill...ALCOA Davenport Works. It was hot, oily & smelly. The money good, but seven days a week on 2nd shift is not alot of fun. If I was still there (left in 1995) I would still be working 3 to 11, but now it would be some type of swing shift so they do not have to pay double time on Sunday. That would suck even more. :D

BSR
09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Sounds like Metro. (Las Vegas)

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=10318962

The city blamed a drunk driver for the officer's death, despite what many eye witnesses told them. The witnessess were call liars by the police chief & the alleged drunk, was not even drunk! Later it was found out that the accident was the police officer's fault...after the guy had his name smeared....Nice.

Police magazines all over the nation published that the officer was killed by a drunk driver, which was not true.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=10397826

Since then other officers have been caught driving as fast as they can through town, without lights or sirens, very dangerous to the public.

109 mph down Rainbow without lights and siren? Holy shit, that officer had a death wish. What the fuck was he thinking?

(I used to live in Vegas)