PDA

View Full Version : Pity Me: I'm Single.

Gingersnap
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Are single people getting a raw deal?

Unmarried Week starts Sunday, hopes to show how non-spouses are cheated
Comments

September 18, 2009

BY KARA SPAK Staff Reporter/kspak@suntimes.com
They're not all Peter Pan playboys or cat-loving spinsters.

Today's single Americans -- 43 percent of the population, up from 28 percent in 1969 -- are banding together and speaking out.

Whether single by choice or by circumstance, they are fighting to participate in the Family and Medical Leave Act and against working holidays solely because they don't have kids.

They want competitive insurance rates and don't want to sleep on mom's couch when they visit home.

"Why should equal rights depend upon your marital status?" said Tom Coleman, executive director of Unmarried America, the group behind Unmarried and Single American Week which starts Sunday. "One day you have equal rights because you're married and the next day you lose a spouse and your auto [insurance] rates go up."

The average American will spend more of her adult life unmarried than married, Coleman said.

Nearly 96 million Americans over 18 years old are not married, a group that includes those who are divorced and widowed, said Bella DePaulo, a Harvard-trained social scientist, fellow at the Chicago-based Council on Contemporary Families and author of Singled Out: How Singles Are Stereotyped, Stigmatized, and Ignored, and Still Live Happily Ever After.

Single people -- gay or straight, alone or in a committed relationship outside of marriage -- are paying more for everything from travel packages to dinners out, she said.

"Any kind of promotion where the more people you have, especially if they are a family unit, the less you pay, that's being subsidized by single people who are paying full price," she said. "These stereotypes persist, and the discriminatory practices persist."

Just what we need: another mouthy special interest group.

Suntimes (http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/1777428,CST-NWS-single18.article)

noonwitch
09-18-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't think single people need to be a special interest group or anything, but as a life-long single, I do have a few complaints.

1. I get sick of covering for people with kids at work. I don't mean when the kids are sick or emergency situations that may arise, I mean the day-in, day-out routine. If you have kids, you must make arrangements for their care if you plan to work. Don't expect your single coworkers to watch them while you do your work-I have the same amount of work to do, even if I do think your kid is a cute distraction for 5-10 minutes. Pay a babysitter or something.

2. Waiters and waitresses treat single customers like dirt. They are not much nicer to two female customers eating dinner together. The service is usually poorer than when I am with my dad, for example, or male coworkers. Wait people-I am a single, employed female. I have enough money to tip you according to the service I receive.

That's basically it, other than the whole car repair scam that gets run on women daily. I'm on to that one, though, and I can tell usually when someone is lying to me, even if I know little about automotive engineering.

Rockntractor
09-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't think single people need to be a special interest group or anything, but as a life-long single, I do have a few complaints.

1. I get sick of covering for people with kids at work. I don't mean when the kids are sick or emergency situations that may arise, I mean the day-in, day-out routine. If you have kids, you must make arrangements for their care if you plan to work. Don't expect your single coworkers to watch them while you do your work-I have the same amount of work to do, even if I do think your kid is a cute distraction for 5-10 minutes. Pay a babysitter or something.

2. Waiters and waitresses treat single customers like dirt. They are not much nicer to two female customers eating dinner together. The service is usually poorer than when I am with my dad, for example, or male coworkers. Wait people-I am a single, employed female. I have enough money to tip you according to the service I receive.

That's basically it, other than the whole car repair scam that gets run on women daily. I'm on to that one, though, and I can tell usually when someone is lying to me, even if I know little about automotive engineering.
My wife and I don't have any kids so I can empathize with you but we all have at least a little responsibility to the next generations. It will cause inconvenience from time to time.

Gingersnap
09-18-2009, 12:38 PM

People with kids shouldn't expect their coworkers to either cover for them in non-emergencies or to put up with kids in the office. Your kid's tee-ball game isn't an emergency. The burden for this kind of thing falls disproportionately on women. Too many women in the workplace just can't say "no".

I've never noticed a decline in service when I'm eating alone or with another woman. As a former server, I can tell you that women are generally terrible tippers but single people are a breeze to deal with. The only problem would be in places where the hostess (or whatever) seats too many single people in one section.

enslaved1
09-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Just what we need: another mouthy special interest group.

Suntimes (http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/1777428,CST-NWS-single18.article)

Don't we have enough REAL issues in the world without people going around making up new ones? Things like this make me think the possible coming complete collapse of the US might not be an entirely bad thing. People will either wake up and prioritize or get shot when they go whining about how the married people get a bigger bed.

pssvr
09-18-2009, 06:26 PM
I have no complaint with anything that is going on here except that the phrase 'equal rights' was invoked to apply to economic opportunities.

lacarnut
09-18-2009, 07:09 PM
As a single, I have zero gripes. I misssed a great deal of work when my elderly parents were sick so I never had a problem with parents having to take off with their kids. I just busted my ass the next couple of days to catch up. Plus, I never felt shortchanged eating alone.

If I looked like that ugly broad at the Chicago Sun Times that wrote that article, I would feel like the whole world was against me also. God was not kind to her in the looks department.

Rockntractor
09-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I have no complaint with anything that is going on here except that the phrase 'equal rights' was invoked to apply to economic opportunities.
Good point!