PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shots

RobJohnson
09-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Do you think flu shots are a good idea? Have you had one in the past? Will you be getting one this year?

Are you one of the folks that are waiting for the H1N1 vacicne to be available?

I think national flu shot day is October 1st.

linda22003
09-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Maybe, no, and no. Even though people tell me I can get one without timerisol, I don't really believe it, and I hate shots in any case.

Lars1701a
09-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I voted no.

Last time I received one I promptly came down with the flu.

FeebMaster
09-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Meh. I've never gotten one and don't plan on it.

I can't remember the last time I had the flu. It's been ten years, at least. Plus, it's the flu, not the black death.

Gingersnap
09-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I got a flu shot last year and I'll probably get both of the shots this year. I've never had the flu in my life and don't expect to get it this year but I do deal with my frail, elderly MIL and I don't want to pass along anything to her. For me it might be a sub-clinical crappy couple of days but for her it might be a death sentence.

noonwitch
09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
They're a good idea, especially for people with compromised immune systems, like my sister.

I'd rather be exposed to the bug and fight it off. I think it's better for me that way.

Rockntractor
09-18-2009, 02:03 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/vaporizers-demotivational-poster-12.jpg?t=1253296979

SarasotaRepub
09-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Not getting it. Haven't gotten one in over a decade.

SaintLouieWoman
09-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Not getting it. Haven't gotten one in over a decade.

And you were very sick a couple months ago. But I was, too, and I had the flu shot. :eek:

Does anyone know how long those shots are effective? I had mine last October and had the worst case of the flu I've ever had in July.

Gingersnap
09-18-2009, 11:08 PM
And you were very sick a couple months ago. But I was, too, and I had the flu shot. :eek:

Does anyone know how long those shots are effective? I had mine last October and had the worst case of the flu I've ever had in July.

Oddly enough, they last a lifetime (pretty much). Every fall the flu rolls around and it is always a slightly different kind of flu. The vaccine is composed of 3 or sometimes 4 strains that are active that particular year. If you get the shot, the odds are that any flu virus you get will be one of those but you're playing the odds so you can get a strain that wasn't included and one that you personally have no immunity against.

The flu virus also recycles so a strain you are immune against already may be included in the shot for that year.

People who survived the pandemic of 1918 as kids are largely thought to still be immune from that virus. Immunity doesn't mean zero sickness, though. You can be immune from a virus or other infectious agent and still have a reaction. That's just your immune system gearing up. ;)

MrsSmith
09-18-2009, 11:23 PM
The problem with the flu shot is that they so seldom guess correctly about the upcoming strains. Many of my coworkers take them every year, many don't. As far as I can tell, the illness rate is about the same in each group. I never have them, and never get the flu. I figure that I'm exposed to pretty much everything as I travel around the hospital every day, my immune system gets lots of exercise. :)

RobJohnson
09-21-2009, 02:06 AM

The shots will not prevent the stomach flu (Viral Gastroenteritis) which is not the same as influenza. I had gastroenteritis back in May, it sucked.

It's predected that 50% more Americans will be getting the flu shot this year, compared to last year. There are already talks of a shortage. Get yours while supplies last. :)

Tamiflu liquid (for children) is already on back order! Stay away from kids.

djones520
09-21-2009, 02:13 AM
Military forces me to get one every year.

RobJohnson
09-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Military forces me to get one every year.

I've never had one, but think they are a great idea, especially for older adults. This year might be the first, as I'm exposed to alot of sick people!

Milly
09-21-2009, 05:28 AM
I already had the regular, yearly flu shot, but I'm gonna' skip the swine flu one. I'm not in the demographic that seems to be most at risk - kids and young adults.

enslaved1
09-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Are they a good idea? Probably for some people (I had to vote for the JOOOOSSSS!!!11!! just for fun though). I haven't gotten one ever that I can think of. It's one to two days of suck in return for a slightly improved immunity, assuming you actually catch anything versus going to the doctor, shelling out cash and getting stuck for what could be no good reason.

linda22003
09-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Tamiflu liquid (for children) is already on back order! Stay away from kids.

That's great advice whether it's flu season or not!

ralph wiggum
09-21-2009, 02:34 PM
When I worked at a hospital, I got the flu shot three years in a row. I also somehow got walking pneumonia each of those years. So now I've sworn off the flu shot completely.

PoliCon
09-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I have no interest what ever in getting a flu shot.

megimoo
09-21-2009, 11:10 PM

With every flu season it's a different flu strain !The Vaccine is specific to only that strain that it was grown from so there is no acquired immunity.

The Molecular 'fit' of the dead flu bugs are what our immune systems are tuned to by the inoculation to attack.The flu molecular structures are all unique and each need their own vaccine .

RobJohnson
09-22-2009, 12:20 AM
That's great advice whether it's flu season or not!

:D

RobJohnson
09-22-2009, 12:24 AM
When I worked at a hospital, I got the flu shot three years in a row. I also somehow got walking pneumonia each of those years. So now I've sworn off the flu shot completely.

I would of suggested the pneumonia shot! :p

RobJohnson
10-10-2009, 12:25 AM
I finally got my shot today!