PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Joe Arpaio subpoenas ACORN, says funds misused

megimoo
09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio alleged Thursday that a national community activist organization is using federal and state funds to fight his efforts to enforce immigration law.

Arpaio sent subpoenas to the local chapter and national headquarters of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN, asking for a wide array of records he says will connect the organization to a racial profiling lawsuit he is challenging in federal court.

That lawsuit was filed by the immigrant advocacy group Somos America and five Latinos, all of whom are U.S. citizens or are in the country legally, according to the suit.

They allege that Arpaio's deputies singled them out because of their skin color and that the agency has a policy, pattern and practice of racially profiling Latinos, especially during "crime suppression sweeps."

ACORN has been under fire recently after secret video revealed employees advising a pair posing as a pimp and prostitute to break tax laws and open a brothel for underaged girls.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/144537

stsinner
09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
That's not racially profiling-that's going after the races that commit the most crimes..

expat-pattaya
09-18-2009, 10:36 PM
OK, I live in Maricopa county. I don't like some of what Shurf Joe does. And yes, his department DOES racially profile. Trust me, if you got brown skin and drive a work truck your chances of being pulled over rise about 1000%. I have a good friend who is a retired Marine. Born in USA. Latino. He drives a pickup with his tools for shoeing horses. He has been hassled several times by the deputies for no reason.

However, this is sort of a case of having a bad dog that should be put down but he is taking a bite out of someones ass who really NEEDS it. Go get 'em Joe :D

AlmostThere
09-19-2009, 02:36 AM
Before there was Sheriff Arpaio, there was Sheriff Harry Lee in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. That man took NO SHIT. A week wouldn't go by where we didn't say "Did he really do that? or "Did he really say that?. One thing is for sure, the bad guys would not screw with him. That man meant business.

I'll bet Arpaio went to the Harry Lee School of Sheriffing.

Sonnabend
09-19-2009, 05:08 AM
I'll bet Arpaio went to the Harry Lee School of Sheriffing.

No, he trained in Dachau and Auschwitz.

submarinepainter
09-19-2009, 07:54 AM
he is elected and keeps getting re-elected . So he must be doing what the people want.

djones520
09-19-2009, 07:59 AM
"We're looking for illegal Mexicans, so I want all you boys to stop and check the white folks for birth certificates though, because we don't want to make it look like we're just singling the Mexicans out. Especially since we're looking for Mexican law breakers."

:rolleyes:

Sonnabend
09-19-2009, 09:49 AM
DJones let's not forget the man he arrested and imprisoned as an illegal alien...who was in fact a US citizen.
(http://washingtonindependent.com/55686/aclu-sues-sheriff-joe-arpaio-for-arrest-and-detention-of-u-s-citizen)
That's called false arrest, false imprisonment and those are FELONIES.

he and his deputies abused their authority to enforce federal immigration laws when they illegally arrested and detained a U.S. citizen and legal resident who were just driving down the road in their pickup truck.

To say nothing of the trail of bodies he has left behind.

Sonnabend
09-19-2009, 09:51 AM
he is elected and keeps getting re-elected . So he must be doing what the people want.

The same can be said of Hitler and Chavez. :rolleyes:

BadCat
09-19-2009, 10:30 AM
The same can be said of Hitler and Chavez. :rolleyes:

When your state is over-run with them, Sonna, you don't have a lot of choices.

Sonnabend
09-19-2009, 11:18 AM
When your state is over-run with them, Sonna, you don't have a lot of choices.

I know.

In my line of work, I talk with people in Corrective Services. One guy I talked to knows of Arpaio, and said cuttingly that had this jerk lived here, he'd be IN the jail not running it.

I still dont get this...what the fuck are you applauding? This asshole has caused the deaths of dozens of inmates, many of whom were not convicted of any crime (I hate to burst your bubble but arrested DOESNT mean guilty)...if this had been a US military prison issue you lot would be screaming from the rooftops.

What is it..I mean it...what?

They deserved it? :rolleyes:

SPYDER
09-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Sonnabend, I agree with probably 99% of what you post. But your off base with this thread. Wonder if you had a border with another country. And millions of folks from the other country came into Australia illegally and would take jobs for half of what a Aussie would of been paid. Overloaded the hospitals with bills that would never be paid. Drove autos with no insurance and caused the Aussies with insurance rates to go WAY up. Brought drugs into your country.
I would love to live in a country like yours!!! I know you have problems like I stated above, but NO WHERE like it is here.

It is not so much racial profiling, but knowing who is causing the problems. I know its a shame to arrest someone who is perfectly legal. But better safe than sorry.
I am a big man at 6' 6" and 260 lbs. They were looking for a big guy a few years ago here who robbed a store. I was arrested for the crime and held for a whole day. Then my story was found that I was not involved. Sure I was a bit PO'd, But I can see the laws view also.

expat-pattaya
09-19-2009, 07:50 PM
There is a difference between profiling a large man wanted for a robbery two blocks away and you fit the profile (i.e. large white guy in a blue car, etc) versus just stopping every brown person in a car to check for papers.

No, I've never been stopped without cause. Guess what? My ancestors are all from Europe. But, I have more than one hispanic friend who live in AZ, who are citizens from BIRTH, including a career US Marine, who have been stopped and harassed on multiple occasions ALL starting at the same time. When Joe said he was going to get proactive on the immigration problem. I do not believe in coincidence.

That is racism my friends. Plain and simple. I do not endorse it and don't care if it does work a little to address the illegal immigration problem we have. I don't deny that problem either. But I do not accept the solution offered by Shurf Joe.

Sonnabend
09-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Sonnabend, I agree with probably 99% of what you post. But your off base with this thread. Wonder if you had a border with another country. And millions of folks from the other country came into Australia illegally and would take jobs for half of what a Aussie would of been paid.

We do, and they come by boats,on planes then stay illegally,from places called Indonesia, East Timor, Afghanistan, Iraq. Somalia, Vietnam, Burma, and a dozen other countries

You think illegal immigration is a US only problem?

Difference between us is that if a cop grabs someone off the street for no reason at all, he loses his badge.And his pension. And his job.

What about the words false arrest and false imprisonment dont you understand?

By the way, our attitude towards deaths in custody is this: the best number of deaths in custody is ZERO

Your attitude is "so what, they're prisoners, who gives a fuck about their rights and if hey die...too bad...but hey, Sheriff Joe is "tough on crime and makes them wear pink underwwar"...oh yeah, I'm sorry your son who was arrested for the petty crime of shoplifting was strapped into a cell and left to die in 44 degree heat".....

Overloaded the hospitals with bills that would never be paid. Drove autos with no insurance and caused the Aussies with insurance rates to go WAY up. Brought drugs into your country.

So you think that we dont have a problem with illegal immigration?

I would love to live in a country like yours!!! I know you have problems like I stated above, but NO WHERE like it is here.

Yeah, that is soo true, jerks like Arpaio are not ELECTED to office, it is a government poisiton and subject to strict guidelines and if a prisoner dies in jail they crawl up his ass with gun and camera to find out WHY.

And if he ignored his duty then his ass is TOAST.

But hey, let's ignore all the people that died,. Sheriff Joe is "tough on crime and tough on illegal immigrants"...quick Henry, get that coffin out the baxck where [people cant see it

Oh yeah...you're a US citizen? Sorry about that.......

It is not so much racial profiling, but knowing who is causing the problems. I know its a shame to arrest someone who is perfectly legal. But better safe than sorry.

DO THE WORDS PROBABLE CAUSE RING A BELL WITH YOU?

He was arrested and jailed on the grounds he was " a suspected illegal immigrant".

I am a big man at 6' 6" and 260 lbs. They were looking for a big guy a few years ago here who robbed a store. I was arrested for the crime and held for a whole day. Then my story was found that I was not involved. Sure I was a bit PO'd, But I can see the laws view also.

Yeah, I see it fine,. You rolled over and played nice for some nazi cops who grabbed the wrong person on no proof whatever and held you in jail for an entire day without legal counsel and without checking where you actually were.

Miranda Escobedo,. Look it up.

I was also a suspect in a crime once and the police came to see me.I told them where I was at the time, said here's a telephone number to prove it, now get out, and don't come back.

Had they arrested me I'd have their asses and they knew it.

My God...I'm educating an AMERICAN on your own legal system,? :eek:

Teetop
09-19-2009, 11:34 PM
DO THE WORDS PROBABLE CAUSE RING A BELL WITH YOU?

He was arrested and jailed on the grounds he was " a suspected illegal immigrant".

Yeah, as Americans. we do know.

It means you can be detained for up to 72 hours, without a charge against you.

Did you know that?

Take your pick. (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=probable+cause+arrest&aq=6&aqi=g10&oq=probable+cause&fp=ee36edbd3c16a1c5)

Sonnabend
09-19-2009, 11:43 PM

Teetop
09-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Don't have to, I know my Miranda rights.

Also, Miranda rights have nothing to do with the topic of discussion...:rolleyes:

SPYDER
09-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I think what Sonnabend is trying to say is that the police should not be able to arrest you without proof of you doing the crime. Am I right Sonnabend???

Teetop
09-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I think what Sonnabend is trying to say is that the police should not be able to arrest you without proof of you doing the crime. Am I right Sonnabend???

It is called Probable Cause. (http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/p089.htm)

edit to add;

What Arpaio is doing is called, discovery. (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Discovery)

BadCat
09-20-2009, 12:24 PM
When Sheriff Joe goes and visits "tent city", the inmates line up and ask him for his autograph.

Most of those inmates are Hispanic.

AlmostThere
09-20-2009, 03:28 PM
DJones let's not forget the man he arrested and imprisoned as an illegal alien...who was in fact a US citizen.
(http://washingtonindependent.com/55686/aclu-sues-sheriff-joe-arpaio-for-arrest-and-detention-of-u-s-citizen)
That's called false arrest, false imprisonment and those are FELONIES.

To say nothing of the trail of bodies he has left behind.
Not only is False Arrest not a felony, it is not a crime. False imprisonment is at WORST a misdemeanor. False arrest is always handled as a civil matter and false imprisonment usually is as well.

expat-pattaya
09-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Just more response to a variety of stuff I've read on this thread.

Sonabend is correct in some areas.

1) illegal immigration is not a USA only problem. And Australia is losing it's identity because of it based on conversations I have had with many Aussies. I takes far fewer immigrants to impact a nation of 20 million versus our 300 million. Yes, I think our immigration problem is larger but they do understand the concept.

I watch the Thai's enforce immigration. Every once in a while they will sweep Beach Road here and any illegals (based on accent or papers) scoop them up and dump them at the Cambodian border. Of course, half of them are Lao or Burmese but they don't care. I kind of don't want to see us handle things the same way.

2) Deaths in custody is a serious issue and should not be a frequent occurrence. I do not believe Shurf Joe is intentionally mistreating prisoners. However, due to the large numbers and drug use by many I believe some callousness and poor training have resulted in the deaths of people in custody that should not have died.

Wrong in some:

1) Sheriff Joe holds an ELECTED position. It is not an appointed one.

2) There is a legal right for law enforcement to hold someone on reasonable suspicion.

Here is my biggest problem with Shurf Joe. The "discovery" that Bad Cat mentions is a legal tool. BUT - this means to a reasonable person that during a normal traffic stop or interface with an individual the police officer can, if he suspects, ask for identification proving legal residence. It does NOT give carte blanche to stop every work truck with brown people in it.