PDA

View Full Version : Ode to Linda numbers

Teetop
09-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Grammar Nazi night? (http://www.divinecaroline.com/22276/83052-eight-spelling-mistakes-smart-make)

English is a screwy language. There’s just no logic to it. Why is daughter pronounced daw-ter, but laughter not law-ter? How can though, through, and tough look so similar and yet sound so different? Why does I come before E except after C? What’s so effing SPECIAL about C?

This is the reason that people who speak more sensible languages approach English with stumbling trepidation. English is insane. It has the capacity to confuse even the smartest of its native speakers—including scientists, engineers, and company presidents—especially when it has to be put down on paper.

This I know from experience. As a copywriter, a large part of my job is to translate pages upon pages of “writing written by non-writers” into copy that is short, persuasive, easy-to-read, and yes—perfectly spelt and grammatically (or at least colloquially) correct.

Nobody knows the troubles I’ve seen.

:p;)

PoliCon
09-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Why is daughter pronounced daw-ter, but laughter not law-ter? Because the American pronunciations differ from the ORIGINAL pronunciations. DUH.

patriot45
09-20-2009, 10:20 PM
perfectly spelt and grammatically

Hey, is spelt a word? I think it is spelled wrong! :D

Shannon
09-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey, is spelt a word? I think it is spelled wrong! :D

We'll find out in the morning.

linda22003
09-21-2009, 07:20 AM
In England it's an accepted variant of "spelled". Here, it's a type of wheat.