PDA

View Full Version : Why fall is a way better season than summer

Gingersnap
09-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Why fall is a way better season than summer

By Bart Brooks
September 21, 2009, 6:01AM

Today is the last day of summer and tomorrow fall is about to officially begin. This is when we will start reading all those old cliches about the coming of the brisk air and the changing of the leaves.
I say, bring it on! Fall is definitely my favorite season and here are a few reasons why:

1. Nature's own organic fireworks display: The Macy's 4th of July fireworks display lasted less than an hour. Trees show their own explosions of color over the course of several weeks. Trees > Macy's.

2. The harvest: Apples, cranberries, pears, squash, pumpkins and other goodies are in season. Nothing beats warm apple cider on a crisp day, or going pumpkin picking and eating pies. Plus Octoberfest beers get rolled out around this time, too. You can't drink warm tomato cider, and there aren't any good watermelon beers, are there? Fall wins.

3. Your car isn't an oven: Say goodbye to sticking to your leather seats during your work commute, or giving yourself third degree burns when trying to put the seatbelt on.

4. The smell: If you're living in a city, then things are just a little bit less odoriferous than it was six weeks ago. If you're surrounded by nature, then there's a certain tang in the air that reminds you that you're alive.

5. School: No more "I'm bored" from the kids. No more having to devise ways to keep them occupied. Just drop them off at school and we can breathe a little easier.

6. Clothes: Sandals and swimsuits are out. Warm, snuggly hoodies are in. If nothing else, they're great for expertly hiding not-ready-for-the-beach physique.

Do you agree that fall is way better than summer? Tell us the best things about fall in the comments below. We'll highlight our favorite in The List Tuesday.

Or just tell us in this thread. :)

NJ (http://www.nj.com/the-list/index.ssf/2009/09/why_fall_is_a_way_better_seaso.html)

ralph wiggum
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Fall sucks for the following reason: The stupid leaves make it much harder to find my expensive golf balls. :mad:

Rockntractor
09-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Yay fall! Paint your balls neon green!

linda22003
09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I HATE summer weather - fall is delicious, cool and comfortable.

Bubba Dawg
09-21-2009, 05:48 PM
I dislike Summer. Hooray for fall. Cooler temps. Football. The World Series.

Gingersnap
09-21-2009, 05:49 PM
It's very fallish here right now. Cold, gray, rainy, and we had some fake snow earlier. Tomorrow will be a rinse and repeat.

Mr. Snaps' religion prevents him from turning on the heat unless the interior house temp drops below 65 F so I'll be enjoying a fire shortly.

It's time to change out the decor for the more autumnal items. Bye, bye Fancy Pants Sun Drenched Linen Yankee candles, hello Fancy Pants Warm Apple Cider Yankee candles. Worse yet, I collect the special season draft guards for them. My hall tree is currently hosting a fall themed candle and decorative draft guard that matches my vintage fall-colored stylized hen and cock.

Bubba Dawg
09-21-2009, 06:22 PM
It's very fallish here right now. Cold, gray, rainy, and we had some fake snow earlier. Tomorrow will be a rinse and repeat.

Mr. Snaps' religion prevents him from turning on the heat unless the interior house temp drops below 65 F so I'll be enjoying a fire shortly.

It's time to change out the decor for the more autumnal items. Bye, bye Fancy Pants Sun Drenched Linen Yankee candles, hello Fancy Pants Warm Apple Cider Yankee candles. Worse yet, I collect the special season draft guards for them. My hall tree is currently hosting a fall themed candle and decorative draft guard that matches my vintage fall-colored stylized hen and cock.

Is the clear plastic tropical fish toilet seat and cover seasonal or year round? :p

Rockntractor
09-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Is the clear plastic tropical fish toilet seat and cover seasonal or year round? :p

Oh man! does it have real dead fish embedded in the plastic?

Shannon
09-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I love Fall! That means Christmas is almost here!:D I've decided to be a nice wife this year and let DS spend almost as much as he wants for Halloween decorations since that's his favorite holiday.

Bubba Dawg
09-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Oh man! does it have real dead fish embedded in the plastic?

I haven't seen it but I'll bet it looks just like this:

http://www.bednbathgallery.com/images/24.jpg

Shannon
09-21-2009, 06:31 PM

*snicker*

djones520
09-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Temps get more reasonable, hockey starts, and hunting seasons. It's my favorite season.

Gingersnap
09-21-2009, 06:44 PM
I haven't seen it but I'll bet it looks just like this:

http://www.bednbathgallery.com/images/24.jpg

You'd be surprised what I can do with a few simple software tools. You'd be even more surprised at what I can do with a belt sander and a cordless drill. :cool:

Bubba Dawg
09-21-2009, 06:45 PM
You'd be surprised what I can do with a few simple software tools. You'd be even more surprised at what I can do with a belt sander and a cordless drill. :cool:

Just chiming in. :eek:

I'm one half of the Peanut Gallery. Gotta do my part.

Gingersnap
09-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Just chiming in. :eek:

I'm one half of the Peanut Gallery. Gotta do my part.

You understand what happens to the majority of peanuts grown in the United States, right?

Some people enjoy peanut butter cookies in the fall. (Dragging the thread back on track, kicking and screaming :p.)

Rockntractor
09-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Ginger!

Gingersnap
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Ginger!

Bwahaaahahaa! :p

Bubba Dawg
09-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Ginger!

You're the other half of the Peanut Gallery.

Thanks for showing up......:p

Gingersnap
09-21-2009, 10:45 PM
You're the other half of the Peanut Gallery.

Thanks for showing up......:p

Like this bothers me. I'm ambidextrous. And energetic. Just not in that "party girl" sort of way. :D

aerojarod
09-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Fall for me will always be burned in my memory as my childhood in Vermont:
Black rubber barn boots, corduroy pants and a plaid flannel shirt.
The smell of the fallen leaves as they crunch underfoot.
The crispy outsides of freshly made cider doughnuts.
Wedges of Cabot Private Stock Cheddar at Boyer's Orchard.
Mom's pumkin & raisin cookies.
The smell of wet creosote from dad cleaning the chimney.

JB
09-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Fall begets winter. So Fall sucks.

Rockntractor
09-22-2009, 06:50 PM

I like winter too. I just wish I had a little more work in the winter.

Shannon
09-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Winter is the only season that gives me a break on the power bill. I love winter.