PDA

View Full Version : How about a *real* tea party protest?

Lanie
09-21-2009, 09:10 PM
During the Bush years, I often found it interesting to hear hardcore leftists condemn and protest companies like McDonalds and Wal-Mart one minute and be their customers the next.

So instead of just protesting, why not have a national boycott of some of the most taxed items? I'm thinking of tobacco, alcohol, and I think soda and candy. If we could have a major boycott of these items, it would really hurt the government's plans. I realize that I'm asking for what some might view as impossible being hooked on tobacco and all. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Rockntractor
09-21-2009, 09:22 PM
During the Bush years, I often found it interesting to hear hardcore leftists condemn and protest companies like McDonalds and Wal-Mart one minute and be their customers the next.

So instead of just protesting, why not have a national boycott of some of the most taxed items? I'm thinking of tobacco, alcohol, and I think soda and candy. If we could have a major boycott of these items, it would really hurt the government's plans. I realize that I'm asking for what some might view as impossible being hooked on tobacco and all. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Good and bad! By doing that you are really letting them control you.

PoliCon
09-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Don't boycott the items - boycott paying the taxes. There are plenty of sources - legal and not so legal for getting cigarettes for example tax free. Indian reservations being an example. I don't think it should be changing what we consume as much as changing how we consume :)

megimoo
09-21-2009, 09:47 PM

So instead of just protesting, why not have a national boycott of some of the most taxed items? I'm thinking of tobacco, alcohol, and I think soda and candy. If we could have a major boycott of these items, it would really hurt the government's plans. I realize that I'm asking for what some might view as impossible being hooked on tobacco and all. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there.I like my plan better.Lets lynch a few of his Czars on the mall and see how that moves em !

Rockntractor
09-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I like my plan better.Lets lynch a few of his Czars on the mall and see how that moves em !

We could learn from Vlad! Put them on sharpened stakes!

PoliCon
09-21-2009, 09:59 PM
We could learn from Vlad! Put them on sharpened stakes!

As long as we don't do that to Barney Frank. I'm sure he'd enjoy it. :rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
09-21-2009, 10:26 PM

Lanie, I think you have a good point. It would take away their source of revenue. But it would be letting them control us. Their whole agenda is to achieve just that---consume less alcohol, cigarettes, soda, etc. They're the control freaks. And just like Rahm Emmanuel says, "Don't waste a good crisis". They won't waste an opportunity to tax, tax, tax.

I don't smoke or drink alcohol (other than a little wine once in a while), so those taxes won't get me. But they'll get SR. :D (and me indirectly).

The government controlling everything is more than disturbing. I wonder how far they'll go in their power grab.

RobJohnson
09-22-2009, 12:50 AM
In Illinois candy & soda was considered food. Food & drug had only a 1% sales tax for many years.

There is now a candy, soda & shampoo tax! Taxes on candy went up 600%. Taxes on wine went up 90%. These taxes are even higher in Chicago, making the tax increase on candy almost 1000%

http://www.examiner.com/x-21037-Illinois-Statehouse-Examiner~y2009m9d1-Illinois-Tax-Increase-Day-Alcohol-Soda-Candy-and-Shampoo

Rockntractor
09-22-2009, 12:59 AM
In Illinois candy & soda was considered food. Food & drug had only a 1% sales tax for many years.

There is now a candy, soda & shampoo tax! Taxes on candy went up 600%. Taxes on wine went up 90%. These taxes are even higher in Chicago, making the tax increase on candy almost 1000%

http://www.examiner.com/x-21037-Illinois-Statehouse-Examiner~y2009m9d1-Illinois-Tax-Increase-Day-Alcohol-Soda-Candy-and-Shampoo

It's turning into a different world and there is nowhere to go thats much better so I guess we are stuck with it.

AmPat
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM

Wow! At those rates it sure puts a damper on washing your hair with a Hersey Bar.

RobJohnson
09-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Wow! At those rates it sure puts a damper on washing your hair with a Hersey Bar.

:D