PDA

View Full Version : Provoked by a previous thread and just for fun.. Post your wedding band...

stsinner
09-21-2009, 11:15 PM
I wear a size 11 Titanium ring that mixes well with my job as an engineer...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/brassmonkey71/Sanyo006.jpg

Show your bling....

Rockntractor
09-21-2009, 11:43 PM
I haven't had mine on for twenty seven years.

linda22003
09-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Well, there goes my topic for Friday- the TOTD was going to be thoughts about wearing wedding rings: "Are women who go out un-banded really trampy?" as though the wedding ring were a metallic burqa of some kind. It's only recently that men really started wearing wedding bands for the most part; my father wore (and still wears) his, but that was more unusual for his generation.

My wedding ring has 18 diamonds channel-set in pairs, in 18k yellow gold, and a 2 carat sapphire set in another band of 18 diamonds channel-set in 18k yellow gold.

stsinner
09-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Well, there goes my topic for Friday- the TOTD was going to be thoughts about wearing wedding rings: "Are women who go out un-banded really trampy?" as though the wedding ring were a metallic burqa of some kind. It's only recently that men really started wearing wedding bands for the most part; my father wore (and still wears) his, but that was more unusual for his generation.

My wedding ring has 18 diamonds channel-set in pairs, in 18k yellow gold, and a 2 carat sapphire set in another band of 18 diamonds channel-set in 18k yellow gold.

Oh, I was afraid you were going to go down this disgusting feminist bondage road that would make me want to vomit....

The idea of men wearing wedding rings more recently makes perfect sense if you think of how things were just a generation or two ago-it was not appropriate for a woman to come onto a man, so it was almost always the man asking the lady out.. Now that we've gotten to the point where women feel okay being forward and asking the man out, he, too, needs a way to show his status.. C'mon, Linda..

When my ex-wife and I used to go out all the time to clubs, some of her female friends would wear rings on their ring finger just to cut down on the number of men hitting on them..

Shannon
09-22-2009, 08:38 AM

You can still use that one. This is a ring pic thread.

Shannon
09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
When my ex-wife and I used to go out all the time to clubs, some of her female friends would wear rings on their ring finger just to cut down on the number of men hitting on them..

I get hit on more when I'm wearing a ring. The only thing wearing a ring does when you aren't married/engaged is give you an excuse to say no.

AlmostThere
09-22-2009, 08:50 AM
In about 3 weeks my wife and I will have lived together for 24 years. The end of Nov we will have been married 20 years. The first few years we didn't have anything. So when we got married we didn't have wedding bands.We didn't have anything really. We didn't take a honeymoon. We got married at the court house in the morning, had lunch and went back to work after lunch.

In the last 20 years out income has increased by a factor of 10. No exaggeration, a factor of 10. We still have never had a honeymoon or gotten wedding bands.

linda22003
09-22-2009, 08:51 AM
I agree with Shannon. StSinner thinks it's an automatic talisman of sorts; it isn't.

linda22003
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Oh, I was afraid you were going to go down this disgusting feminist bondage road that would make me want to vomit....

Not at all. If anything, you've expressed that I have TOO MANY rings (you called me high maintenance, I believe). If I hadn't wanted to wear a ring, I would not have, and that would not have affected whether I was married or not.

stsinner
09-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Not at all. If anything, you've expressed that I have TOO MANY rings (you called me high maintenance, I believe). If I hadn't wanted to wear a ring, I would not have, and that would not have affected whether I was married or not.

You mentioned the, "metallic burqa.."

linda22003
09-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Only as a response to your belief that women SHOULD wear their rings in public so they don't appear "trampy". I didn't see you say anything along those lines about men wearing their rings.

Gingersnap
09-22-2009, 09:41 AM
http://i38.tinypic.com/nycya1.jpg

Mine isn't usually that polished, however. Mr. Snaps refuses to wear any jewelry so he's never had a wedding band.

linda22003
09-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Mr. Snaps refuses to wear any jewelry so he's never had a wedding band.

That's never been an issue for men, it seems. That's what I want StSinner to respond to; why does there seem to be a double standard? I didn't see him refer to men appearing "trampy" for not wearing bands.

I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile for THAT explanation. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
09-22-2009, 09:56 AM
That's never been an issue for men, it seems. That's what I want StSinner to respond to; why does there seem to be a double standard? I didn't see him refer to men appearing "trampy" for not wearing bands.

Wedding rings for either sex are still a pretty recent development (at least for the non-wealthy). Up until pretty recently a lot of women only wore a ring when it wouldn't get damaged. At least that's my experience in Rural-Land. Almost no guys who do farming/ranching wear a ring outside of church (if they have one at all).

linda22003
09-22-2009, 09:57 AM
The original wedding band question started in the Michelle Obama thread; there was a picture I posted of her in an unusually beautiful dress, for her, and instead the focus was on her not wearing a wedding ring in that picture, and what kind of "message" it supposedly sent.

Frankly, I don't get that. Is there anyone who does NOT know she's married to Barack Obama??

stsinner
09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Only as a response to your belief that women SHOULD wear their rings in public so they don't appear "trampy". I didn't see you say anything along those lines about men wearing their rings.

Personally, I think it's respectful to your spouse to wear your ring. My wife feels better when I have my ring on because we are a family and don't really approve of having kids without being married, so she likes the message it sends to others that we are traditional.. I'm fine with that. You don't have that situation to deal with, so if you want to appear to be boyfriend and girlfriend, that's surely your prerogative..

linda22003
09-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I guess I don't look at people's fingers to decide if they "belong" together or not. I know some people do, and I know they make decisions based on the type of ring.

I remember being on the subway one day; the rings had just been cleaned and the sapphire was sparkling among the mass of diamonds. A woman looked at my hand and said, "Your rings are beautiful! Your husband must really love you!"

I was a little amazed at the connection drawn there. If I had been wearing a plain band, apparently my husband wouldn't have cared much about me. :rolleyes:

stsinner
09-22-2009, 10:16 AM
The original wedding band question started in the Michelle Obama thread; there was a picture I posted of her in an unusually beautiful dress, for her, and instead the focus was on her not wearing a wedding ring in that picture, and what kind of "message" it supposedly sent.

Frankly, I don't get that. Is there anyone who does NOT know she's married to Barack Obama??

For me it's not a matter of that at all.. My thoughts just went immediately to the idea of sending to young black women the thought that being married is good by always proudly wearing your ring since they have the terrible situation of 70% illegitimate children.

My point is why NOT? How the hell could a wedding ring detract from the shot? It's not like you can forget it when you spend hours prepping for a shot.. It was obviously intentional. When has it ever been appropriate for a prominent married woman to do a photo shoot without her wedding ring? I don't like how Michelle Obama is trying to turn traditional things upside down-with her insistence on showing her arms and legs in formal situations all the time and such.. She just looks like a petulant brat that doesn't want to conform to tradition.

stsinner
09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I remember being on the subway one day; the rings had just been cleaned and the sapphire was sparkling among the mass of diamonds. A woman looked at my hand and said, "Your rings are beautiful! Your husband must really love you!"

I've actually said this before, but just as a joke.. My wife's wedding band is simple-white gold with a small diamond in a simple setting, but then again we didn't choose it.. I love that she's wearing the ring my father wed my mother with, even if their marriage was doomed. And the price was right. :D

linda22003
09-22-2009, 10:21 AM
When has it ever been appropriate for a prominent married woman to do a photo shoot without her wedding ring?

I was really okay with the whole content of your post except for this one sentence. Why on earth does it matter? Are you just as unhappy about the "appropriateness" of a man being photographed without one?
The primary readership of Vogue is not teenage black girls who might be having babies out of wedlock. The readership is women who can afford that Narciso Rodriguez ballgown, and who have a place to wear it.

Lars1701a
09-22-2009, 10:21 AM
I guess I don't look at people's fingers to decide if they "belong" together or not. I know some people do, and I know they make decisions based on the type of ring.

I was a little amazed at the connection drawn there. If I had been wearing a plain band, apparently my husband wouldn't have cared much about me. :rolleyes:

Do you have to get pissed at everything?

I am sure the ring in your husbands nose is quite lovely. :D

stsinner
09-22-2009, 10:22 AM
http://i38.tinypic.com/nycya1.jpg

Mine isn't usually that polished, however. Mr. Snaps refuses to wear any jewelry so he's never had a wedding band.

You could always do the hideously gawdy tattoo wedding riing... I get a kick out of those morons...

linda22003
09-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm not even remotely pissed. I am writing simple declarative sentences, which I would have thought even you could understand. Shows how wrong you can be! :p

Lars1701a
09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm not even remotely pissed. I am writing simple declarative sentences, which I would have thought even you could understand. Shows how wrong you can be! :p

Oh for the love of God bitch peddle your bullshit somewhere else.

You would have not remembered that whole episode if it didnt piss you off in some small degree.

linda22003
09-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I just thought of an example where it's really inappropriate for women to be in public with their rings. Some of the television cooks, notably southerners like Nathalie Dupree and Paula Deen, insist on wearing their big nasty diamonds on their shows, getting them grunged up with flour and other foodstuffs. What's up with that? :p

linda22003
09-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh for the love of God bitch peddle your bullshit somewhere else.

This thread, like every other thread on CU, was just fine until you showed up. I was here first, so why don't YOU fuck off? Why don't you waddle away as quickly as that big stick up your ass will allow? :)

Lars1701a
09-22-2009, 10:29 AM
This thread, like every other thread on CU, was just fine until you showed up. I was here first, so why don't YOU fuck off? Why don't you waddle away as quickly as that big stick up your ass will allow? :)

Why dont you make me bitch? :D

Sticks up ones ass? you my friend have the largest I have ever seen.

stsinner
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM

No, I don't avoid questions.. There is a double standard.. There are lots of double standards if we're being honest.. Many men are insecure-women, too.. Also, men are pigs and are always hitting on women and trying to pick them up, so it's just a good idea of you have a pretty woman to have her wearing a ring to ward off the barrage of idiots that will try to bed her down on a daily basis.. I thought I kind of already explained that.. Most men when they set out for the day don't have to worry about being hit on by women because it's pretty rare. Not so with women-they can expect to have men come on to them in various ways quite regularly, so if they're wearing a wedding ring it signals that, not only are they married, but they're probably happy-as they choose to advertise it.

linda22003
09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
And Shannon said it had the opposite effect sometimes. I've noticed that as well. Basically, you're responsible for your own behavior, not others'. As for men being pigs, Lars' sudden appearance here underscores that. :rolleyes:

Lars1701a
09-22-2009, 10:33 AM
And Shannon said it had the opposite effect sometimes. I've noticed that as well. Basically, you're responsible for your own behavior, not others'. As for men being pigs, Lars' sudden appearance here underscores that. :rolleyes:

I treat ladies very well thank you, bitches like you on the other hand.....

stsinner
09-22-2009, 10:34 AM
I was really okay with the whole content of your post except for this one sentence. Why on earth does it matter? Are you just as unhappy about the "appropriateness" of a man being photographed without one?

You know, Linda, I guess most of my discontent is due to the fact that I really cherish our country's Christian values and morals, and I like to see those things preserved.. I think it's appropriate, as a Christian, to wear your wedding ring if you were married in the church.. Maybe I'm somehow, in some strange way in my head, tying this to the secularization of America.

linda22003
09-22-2009, 10:42 AM
You're definitely putting more cosmic meaning on all of tihis than I am, and I can respect your position. I'm still not delighted that you apply this to women only (in terms of the photography part, at least), and I know you weren't happy when it took me about two seconds to find a picture of Sarah Palin ringless!

I was married in a hotel. :)
And you KNOW who married the Obamas.

Gingersnap
09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Okay, knock off the personal invective in this thread. Let's get back to the obviously fascinating subject of wedding rings and personal wealth/morality.

I'm kind of crushed that Mr. Snaps thinks I'm only worth $199.00. :p

stsinner
09-22-2009, 10:48 AM
You're definitely putting more cosmic meaning on all of tihis than I am, and I can respect your position. I'm still not delighted that you apply this to women only (in terms of the photography part, at least), and I know you weren't happy when it took me about two seconds to find a picture of Sarah Palin ringless!

I was married in a hotel. :)
And you KNOW who married the Obamas.

You're right-I was disappointed that Sarah Palin was out without her ring, but she makes it pretty clear that she's married and loves her family, and I just can't dislike her for that one pic.. I can understand forgetting your ring, as I said, but you prep for a long time for a formal photo shoot.. Obama not wearing her ring was obviously intentional, and I'm just curious what would ever justify that.

stsinner
09-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Okay, knock off the personal invective in this thread. Let's get back to the obviously fascinating subject of wedding rings and personal wealth/morality.

No, I'm pretty sure that he realizes that a woman with your wit and charm is priceless...

Boy, did that sound like shameless Mod ass kissing... But you do have an awesome sense of humor.

linda22003
09-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Oh, you can take it out of him in other ways. :) Whatever happened to the "two months' salary" model, so helpfully provided for our guidance by the diamond industry?

stsinner
09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Whatever happened to the "two months' salary" model, so helpfully provided for our guidance by the diamond industry?

That's my argument for marrying young.. :D Preferably while still in college.

linda22003
09-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm quite conscious that I'm wearing two months' salary at a 1985 level. ;) I'm two years away from a 25th anniversary upgrade, which my husband says I'll have a better chance of getting if I stop referring to it as my "25 year service award". :p

Rockntractor
09-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Do you have to get pissed at everything?

I am sure the ring in your husbands nose is quite lovely. :D

Shocker collar! To many whimpers and ZAP!

Rockntractor
09-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm quite conscious that I'm wearing two months' salary at a 1985 level. ;) I'm two years away from a 25th anniversary upgrade, which my husband says I'll have a better chance of getting if I stop referring to it as my "25 year service award". :p
I got my wife an upgrade at 20 years.:confused:

linda22003
09-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Shocker collar! To many whimpers and ZAP!

I wouldn't know; it's never been tested. He's got nothing to whimper about. :)

Gingersnap
09-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh, you can take it out of him in other ways. :) Whatever happened to the "two months' salary" model, so helpfully provided for our guidance by the diamond industry?

That probably was two months of his salary. LOL!

My BFF has a ring very similar to my own but a few years ago she had diamonds that she'd inherited fitted into a sort of superstructure that's now welded to her original ring. My description leaves something to be desired but it's lovely and very elegant.

I've thought of doing something similar myself.

Rockntractor
09-22-2009, 11:05 AM
That probably was two months of his salary. LOL!

My BFF has a ring very similar to my own but a few years ago she had diamonds that she'd inherited fitted into a sort of superstructure that's now welded to her original ring. My description leaves something to be desired but it's lovely and very elegant.

I've thought of doing something similar myself.

I bet gold welding rods are expensive!
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/WeldingH42.jpg?t=1253632048

Teetop
09-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I haven't had a wedding ring on, in over 19 years. I wore her father's wedding ring, which she wanted back and I gave it back. I also bought her a lovely two piece, three diamond set that I got back.

I did without for over six months to pay for that ring, too bad the marriage didn't work out, I really loved the woman....

I have been in and out of relationships since, but I have found no one I care to spend more than six months with. Is it wrong to want a woman who is independent, strong and willing to give and take with what life throws at you? I think someone is out there for me.... Or those women are already taken!

Shit anymore, I would settle for one that can cook! But, still be as described above. I will not compromise that.

AmPat
09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
We opted for the Prince Albert. Indicates a higher level of commitment and entanglement.:D

Shannon
09-22-2009, 08:22 PM
I haven't had a wedding ring on, in over 19 years. I wore her father's wedding ring, which she wanted back and I gave it back. I also bought her a lovely two piece, three diamond set that I got back.

I did without for over six months to pay for that ring, too bad the marriage didn't work out, I really loved the woman....

I have been in and out of relationships since, but I have found no one I care to spend more than six months with. Is it wrong to want a woman who is independent, strong and willing to give and take with what life throws at you? I think someone is out there for me.... Or those women are already taken!

Shit anymore, I would settle for one that can cook! But, still be as described above. I will not compromise that.

Awwww.:( You will find her as soon as you quit looking. It always works that way.;)

megimoo
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I bet gold welding rods are expensive!
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/WeldingH42.jpg?t=1253632048Brazing not welded and with silver solder not a rod .