PDA

View Full Version : The Lost Symbol and The Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences

bijou
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
If Dan Brown’s new novel The Lost Symbol is anything like his previous works, it will not go down well with the critics. Famously, comedian Stewart Lee mocked him for using the sentence “The famous man looked at the red cup” in his bestselling The Da Vinci Code. In fact, Lee was making that up – the sentence never appears in the book. So are the critics unfair on Brown?

They’re certainly harsh. Edinburgh professor of linguistics Geoffrey Pullum says “Brown's writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad.” He picks out some excerpts for special criticism. The female lead in Angels and Demons learns of the death of her scientist father: “Genius, she thought. My father . . . Dad. Dead.” A member of the Vatican Guard in the same book becomes annoyed by something, and we learn that "his eyes went white, like a shark about to attack."

Below we have selected 20 phrases that may grate on the ear. It’s not a definitive list. It couldn’t be: he has published five novels, each around 500 pages long, and the arguments over which are the worst bits will go on for a while. But it’s our list. Add your own in the comment box below.

20. Angels and Demons, chapter 1: Although not overly handsome in a classical sense, the forty-year-old Langdon had what his female colleagues referred to as an ‘erudite’ appeal — wisp of gray in his thick brown hair, probing blue eyes, an arrestingly deep voice, and the strong, carefree smile of a collegiate athlete.

They say the first rule of fiction is “show, don’t tell”. This fails that rule. ...It was a dark and stormy night ... (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/6194031/The-Lost-Symbol-and-The-Da-Vinci-Code-author-Dan-Browns-20-worst-sentences.html)

linda22003
09-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I tried to read the "DaVinci Code". I gave up. I decided that one thing a "thriller" should not be is colossally boring.

Gingersnap
09-23-2009, 02:54 PM
I tried to read the "DaVinci Code".

It never even occurred to me to try.

patriot45
09-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Dan Brown is shrugging and laughing at Geoffrey Pullum all the way to the bank!! He has sold mega millions of books, boring or not!

linda22003
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
It never even occurred to me to try.

I wouldn't have done it voluntarily, but my Book Club assigned it. We've since sworn off trashy novels. At least, they've never been as bad as that since.

PoliCon
09-23-2009, 10:06 PM
The only book by him that I read was Angels and Demons which I found intriguing.

Rockntractor
09-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't have done it voluntarily, but my Book Club assigned it. We've since sworn off trashy novels. At least, they've never been as bad as that since.

There is something not quite right about the grammar here. I cant put my fanger on it!

FlaGator
09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I've read most of his stuff. I can sum up every book he's ever written in a few sentences. Protagonist gets a phone call late at night sumonning him/her to some exotic local to deal with some crime. Less than 24 hours later and much running around. the crime is solved and the last person you would expect is the mastermind behind the whole thing and he would have gotten away with it too if it were for that darn meddling hero. (Scooby-Doo ending)