PDA

View Full Version : There is a battle for America's behinds,The Unkindest Flush

megimoo
09-24-2009, 12:05 AM
"The Tree Humpers Want Us To Use Dried Leaves To Save The Trees !"

There is a battle for America's behinds. It is a fight over toilet paper: the kind that is blanket-fluffy and getting fluffier so fast that manufacturers are running out of synonyms for "soft" (Quilted Northern Ultra Plush is the first big brand to go three-ply and three-adjective). It's a menace, environmental groups say -- and a dark-comedy example of American excess. The reason, they say, is that plush U.S. toilet paper is usually made by chopping down and grinding up trees that were decades or even a century old. They want Americans, like Europeans, to wipe with tissue made from...snip

Toilet paper is far from being the biggest threat to the world's forests: together with facial tissue, it accounts for 5 percent of the U.S. forest-products industry, according to industry figures. Paper and cardboard packaging makes up 26 percent of the industry, although more than half is made from recycled products. Newspapers account for 3 percent.

But environmentalists say 5 percent is still too much.

Felling these trees removes a valuable scrubber of carbon dioxide, they say. If the trees come from "farms" in places such as Brazil, Indonesia or the southeastern United States, natural forests are being displaced. If they come from Canada's forested north -- a major source of imported wood pulp -- ecosystems valuable to bears, caribou and migratory birds are being damaged.

And, activists say, there's just the foolish idea of the thing: old trees cut down for the briefest and most undignified of ends.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/23/AR2009092304711.html?hpid=topnews

pssvr
09-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm in favor of unilateral, multinational, strict reforesting policy: Every tree that goes down must be replaced by another tree, unless it is felled on a private residence for the purpose of landscaping etc., and only when fewer than twenty trees are felled annually.

Gingersnap
09-24-2009, 10:36 AM
I thought most toilet paper came from tree farms. Either way, I can't say I care much. I can't wait until the Eco Nazis start guilting people into using washcloths or some other reusable for this function.

A lot of people have never seen typhus or dysentery up close. :)

BadCat
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I thought most toilet paper came from tree farms. Either way, I can't say I care much. I can't wait until the Eco Nazis start guilting people into using washcloths or some other reusable for this function.

A lot of people have never seen typhus or dysentery up close. :)

I think they would prefer we adopt the Middle Eastern method, your left hand.

Gingersnap
09-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Ewwww! :eek:

PoliCon
09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
The left needs to keep thier laws the hell out of my BATHROOM!

Jfor
09-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm in favor of unilateral, multinational, strict reforesting policy: Every tree that goes down must be replaced by another tree, unless it is felled on a private residence for the purpose of landscaping etc., and only when fewer than twenty trees are felled annually.

I'm not. We have more forest in this country today than we ever have.

BadCat
09-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Ewwww! :eek:

Indeed.
For an area not known for its water resources, I always found that disturbing.

megimoo
09-24-2009, 01:01 PM

Ayatollah Khomeini's Gems of Islamism
snip
Khomeini on Urinating and Defecating

Urinating and defecating are forbidden in four places:
blind alleys, except with the permission of those living along them;

the property of a person who has not given permission to do so;

places of worship, such as certain madrasas;

graves of believers, unless one does so as an insult to them.
(#64, (Resaleh p.40))
It is not necessary to wipe one's anus with three stones or three pieces of fabric: a single stone of single piece of fabric is enough. But if one wipes it with a bone, or any sacred object, such as for example, a paper having the name of God on it, one may not say his prayer while in this state.
(#69, (Resaleh p.41))
http://gemsofislamism.tripod.com/khomeini_works.html#answer_kashf_al-asrar