PDA

View Full Version : Two-meal diet aids in oldest man's longevity

megimoo
09-25-2009, 03:13 AM
GREAT FALLS, Mont. So what does the world's oldest man eat? The answer is not much, at least not too much.

Walter Breuning, who turned 113 on Monday, eats just two meals a day and has done so for the past 35 years.

"I think you should push back from the table when you're still hungry," Breuning said.At 5 foot 8, ("I shrunk a little," he admitted) and 125 pounds, Breuning limits himself to a big breakfast and lunch every day and no supper.

"I have weighed the same for about 35 years," Breuning said. "Well, that's the way it should be.""You get in the habit of not eating at night, and you realize how good you feel. If you could just tell people not to eat so darn much."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-09-24-oldest-man-diet_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

Gingersnap
09-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Caloric restriction for longevity. It's not so much that you live longer, it's just that it seems so much longer when your next meal is 14 hours away. :p

megimoo
09-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Caloric restriction for longevity. It's not so much that you live longer, it's just that seems so much longer when your next meal is 14 hours away. :p
After awhile the body adjusts and the stomach shrinks .The body can adjust to just about anything, over time, that isn't totally life threatening and survive.
Our early ancestors made do and thrived on much less food than we have now.America is/was the land of abundance to most immigrants from Europe and Asia in the past century .

Meat and produce available at modest prices far in excess of anything they were used too in the old country .They lived in America as wealthy men did in Europe and Asia with less effort and they had more time for their family's.

noonwitch
09-25-2009, 03:29 PM
My 96 year old grandfather swears by eating very dark brown bread daily. He says the darker the bread, the better it is for you. He eats limited dairy and lots of vegetables and fruit. He eats ice cream daily, but never eats candy or potato chips. He only eats cookies if they are home-made.

Grandpa is 5'2 and probably weighs about 140 lbs. He thinks small people are more suited to live longer. After all, they outlived the tall people in the gas chambers (he actually said that)!

When I made spinach pie for him once, he watched me make it. After I started melting the 3rd stick of butter, he freaked. He still liked eating it, though.