PDA

View Full Version : Unique business aims to spread solar power (Shocking! Baffling!)

cajunboy2k
07-18-2008, 03:27 AM
underpants (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-17-08 01:47 PM
Original message
Unique business aims to spread solar power (Shocking! Baffling!)
Advertisements [?]Edited on Thu Jul-17-08 01:48 PM by underpants
Source: CNN

BOULDER, Colorado (CNN) -- Blake Jones' business plan for his company, Namaste Solar Electric, was so unusual, he confounded a lot of business experts.

Outsiders were baffled by some of these company plans:

• Environmental concerns would be a driving force in every aspect of the company

• Six weeks of paid time off

• A concept called FOH -- frank, open and honest -- to help eliminate gossip and grudges

• Employees, no matter what their job description, have the same pay scale

• One percent of yearly revenues go to solar systems donated to community groups

• All major decisions would be made by consensus of all company employees

Jones had done a serious turnabout in his own career that inspired some of the unusual principles of Namaste. Namaste is a Sanskrit greeting meaning, "to bow to you." The civil engineer spent five years working in the Middle East for Brown and Root, a subsidiary of Halliburton, in the oil and gas industry.
Link to topic (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3399579)

Kind of sounds like ANIMAL FARM to me.
But, of course, the dummies love it.

sofa king
07-18-2008, 04:19 AM
All major decisions would be made by consensus of all company employees

and the company will be out of business in less than one week.

such a pretty thought, though. sort of like the rainbows and unicorn thoughts of obama.

*sigh*

Sonnabend
07-18-2008, 04:35 AM
ē Employees, no matter what their job description, have the same pay scale

They do not pay the office receptionist what they pay me, because my job is harder, more complex, and I have quals she doesnt.

That company will have a hard time keeping or getting real talent, because if the company won't pay them what they are worth, they wont work there.

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

AmPat
07-18-2008, 06:15 AM
They do not pay the office receptionist what they pay me, because my job is harder, more complex, and I have quals she doesnt.

That company will have a hard time keeping or getting real talent, because if the company won't pay them what they are worth, they wont work there.

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

Equally bad is overpaying the monkeys for lesser job skills. :cool:

jeskibuff
07-18-2008, 06:51 AM
One percent of yearly revenues go to solar systems donated to community groupsYet another mistake. They should have stated "1% of profits" to at least slightly improve their chances of staying in business. 1% of $0.00 would at least be one goal that they could attain.

Someone needs to track this grand liberal experiment, which should be named "Airhead America" in honor of another liberal business venture "success".

Something about this reminds me of Red Bull's Flugtag: http://www.airplix.com/airplix/AirplixFlight/DSC_0000.JPG

Doc Savage
07-18-2008, 09:00 AM
I like the 6 weeks of paid time off. Is there also 5 days of sick time? That would be 7 weeks per year each employee could take, never mind what that costs......

Probably just has green decafinated organic tea in the break room too. Water heated by solar power of course.

patriot45
07-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Hah, A DUmmie corporation! :D

This company sounds alot lke this one - Widgets (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=1919)

LogansPapa
07-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Excuse me - Communism was a real lark for about 70 years, but didnít if fail? Miserably? :confused:

jeskibuff
07-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Excuse me - Communism was a real lark for about 70 years, but didnít if fail? Miserably? :confused:Why yes, yes it did!

But history has very little value to most liberals. Kudos to you for showing yourself to be an exception to the rule in this instance!

I think it's that ideal concept of "everybody equal", regardless of their talent and abilities that attracts most liberals to the "glory" of communism. The equal pay, no matter how unskilled you are is REAL attractive to DUmmies! So, if communism failed miserably before, "SO WHAT??? Let's try it again and again and maybe SOMEONE can get it to work!".

The trouble is, the communist ideal doesn't factor in the basic principles of human nature. As stated earlier by Sonnabend, if you're good at what you do but you're rewarded at the same level as someone who sucks, you're going to go somewhere where your talent is appreciated. If you have no choice in the matter, you're going to drop your output to the level of your "peers". That's why the Iron Curtain countries turned into slums. That's why capitalistic countries were able to bury Khrushchev instead of vice versa. That's why most Cubans still live in squalor while idiots like Mikey Mooron choose to live in the U.S. while praising Castro's regime.

Capitalism has its faults, but communism has no virtues.

LogansPapa
07-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Excellent.;)

Dan D. Doty
07-18-2008, 07:24 PM

This should be your tag line.

lacarnut
07-18-2008, 11:03 PM
If Congress does not renew the subsidies for solar energy which expires shortly, many of these companies will go under. It was not included in the energy bill the Prez just signed.

Secondly, this guy sound like a con artist who will get the loonies on the left with deep pockets to bankroll him, and it will fold up like an accordion in a short period of time.

Dan D. Doty
07-18-2008, 11:38 PM
If Congress does not renew the subsidies for solar energy which expires shortly, many of these companies will go under. It was not included in the energy bill the Prez just signed.

Secondly, this guy sound like a con artist who will get the loonies on the left with deep pockets to bankroll him, and it will fold up like an accordion in a short period of time.

He promises them " Utopia " and they fall for it because its what they want to hear.

Sounds like someone went to the Ralph Nader school of business; crazy people will always hand you their money if you give them the answers that make them feel good, instead of the ones that work.